Skip to content

Is it possible to - reliably - trigger an effect when a creature targets another creature?

I would really like to have armour detract a fixed amount of damage from opponents' attacks. This seems like a straightforward thing to do exept for actually determining when and on whom to apply the effect.

I would like to inject the callback whenever a creature changes the targeted creature to apply 'reverse bless', but I don't know if the engine supports something like this. A problem here is that it would have to cancel its effect when the target dies/dissapears, which might not work reliably.

I also thought about hacking all weapons to actually do zero damage (is it possible?) but always trigger a MR ignoring spell which calculates the actual damage based on the nominative weapon value and target's armour - I presume pretty much anything can be coded in here, right?

Comments

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • polymorphedsquirrelpolymorphedsquirrel Member Posts: 114
    edited December 2019
    Thanks for weighting in. Backstab is a fair point, but why the STR bonus would be affected? Crits can be incorporated into the damage calculation independantly of 'original' crits. I thought about something similar as you suggest, but there are two issues:
    1) a character dying when they would be saved by armour (i.e. before healing)
    2) consfusing messages in the dialog box.

But don't I have access to the spell's target in it's code? Is verifying their armour/equipment/state variables impossible (at least sometimes)?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Wait. Are 'on hit' effects appled after or before the damage?
  • kjeronkjeron Member Posts: 2,367
    After