Skip to content

illithium ore

Hi, this ore you need for the undead mace +2. Is the only way you can get it from the quest as cleric?

Comments

• jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Oh no, another illithium thread! Perhaps this one will be short and non-controversial though. The answer to your question is yes, the only way to upgrade your mace of disruption is to use Sir Sarles' ore for it.
    ZaghoulBalrog99
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    But you don't have to be a cleric (or even have a cleric in your party) to get the quest (after the Unseeing Eye quest).
    ZaghoulBalrog99sarevok57gorgonzola
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    edited December 2019
    I found out the hard way though that if you kill everybody in the Dorn personal quests you will not get the Sir Sarles quest if you don't do the Unseeing Eye quest first. One of the guys Dorn wants to kill is the dude who starts the illithium quest. Talk Dorn down if you want the upgraded Mace of Disruption.
    gorgonzola
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    and you don't have to give the real ore to that pompous and overrated artist to have his quest done ;)
    you loose only very few xp and money if you give him the fake one, and an helm way less useful then the hammer or axe if you are not a cleric. if you are cleric you get anyway the item, you can chose between 3 of them, that is the quest reward.

about the RP reasons behind charname's choice, as @jsaving told, we had a long thread not too many time ago...
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    The Lothander temple seems to prefer the alloy over the Sarles sculpture. I haven't compared the xp, but the priest praises the alloy and thinks the sculture is overrated.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • joliekillerjoliekiller Member Posts: 37
    dunbar wrote: »
    But you don't have to be a cleric (or even have a cleric in your party) to get the quest (after the Unseeing Eye quest).

Hmm i never had this quest when not being a cleric.
    @ThacoBell
    giving the true ore:
    you get back the 100 gp you spent and get 20k xp
    if you are a cleric can chose between staff spear, armor of faith and ring of holiness
    if you are not you get the helm of glory.
    which church gives to you the quest does not change the rewards, this is true also giving the fake ore.

giving the fake ore:
    10k xp and no items or refund if you are not a cleric.
    if you are 10k xp and one of the 3 items.

i would say that the upgraded mace is worth 10k xp and 1k gp less and thee loss of the helm of glory.
    for clerics that get anyway one of the 3 items, but not the helm, it is even more worth.

Balrog99
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @gorgonzola Are you sure its the same for all temples though? That would be extremely weird, as the dialogue is very clear about the Lathander priests liking the alloy MORE than the sculpture from Sarles.
    StummvonBordwehr
    i am not 100% sure about it, let's say 99%.