Skip to content

Medieval City and Rural tilesets question/bug?

NeverwinterWightsNeverwinterWights Member Posts: 339
Anyone else use this tileset and know how to prevent this? I already posted over on the workshop months ago and hadn't heard back. @Zwerkules ?

https://youtu.be/1KkR1rYAuaQ
Post edited by NeverwinterWights on

Comments

• ZwerkulesZwerkules Member Posts: 112
    Oh, yes, the workshop. I don't like it and hardly use Steam more than once in two months.
    What is weird is that this happens to your toon even though the door opens to the inside. It was possible that this happened when the door opened to the outside.
    In that case it would help to remove the door walkmeshes for opened doors. You could walk through the doors when they opened/were open, but there was enough room for the toon to stand in front of them.
    It should not happen when the door opens inward and it doesn't happen in 1.69. I don't know if something changed and now the characters need more walkable space than they used to.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited December 2019
    FWIW I used that inn for Fern HD and do not have that problem. Could it be related to the fact that it appears in the toolset as though the dwk is too big. At least I think that's what is indicated by the green box in this image -

h8asjcsf00vk.png

TR
  • NeverwinterWightsNeverwinterWights Member Posts: 339
    FWIW I used that inn for Fern HD and do not have that problem. Could it be related to the fact that it appears in the toolset as though the dwk is too big. At least I think that's what is indicated by the green box in this image -

h8asjcsf00vk.png

TR

Ah that might be. And I can't change the door out for any of the others either. Dang.
    That's just caused by the pivot point of the doorhandle being too far away from its center. The dwks aren't that big.
    edited December 2019
    @Zwerkules Not sure what's going on then. It does it for me for almost every upstairs door in both of these tilesets. And if I open a door from the side or angle, when not close to the rail or edge, it won't happen but the PC always side steps/moves a little. It makes me sad because these tilesets are soooo freakn awesome! Could CEP be interfering at all? cep2_add_doors maybe?
  • Does the tile have a door dummy? If not, try adding one to the location where the center of the door should be. In my experience with TNO modifications, if a door was having issues, placing a door dummy node fixed it (e.g. tno_m73_01_d01 etc.).
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2019

h8asjcsf00vk.png

TR

Ah that might be. And I can't change the door out for any of the others either. Dang.

Actually you can change the door. Extract the SET file using NWHak (in the Steam /util folder (\Steam\steamapps\common\Neverwinter Nights\util) for you NWN EE install).
    1. Open the SET file in a TXT editor,
    2. Search for the model name (you can get this from highlighting the tile in the toolset),
    3. Scroll down to the door associated with that tile number in the SET file,
    4. Change the door's TYPE= parameter to "0"
    5. Last, use NWHak to open the MedievalRural.hak and replace the SET file in the hak with your modified SET file.

This will remove the tileset specific door from that tile, allowing you to place one of the standard doors from the door palette.
    NWN EE wasn't running for me when I wanted to test this on Monday, but Sym 2 helped me getting it to run and I tested it today and couldn't reproduce your problem either. I even used Aluvian as a PC. I tried lots of different spots in front of the doors and it always worked.
    You mentioned that you got it from the workshop. The version there is rather outdated. Maybe I changed something.
    Try getting the vault version, best even use the compiled version unless you need the models to be uncompiled for normal and specular maps. The compiled version runs faster.
    https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/tileset/medieval-city-tileset (June 2019 version, compiled)
    https://neverwintervault.org/project/nwn1/hakpak/tileset/mountains-and-more (also June 2019 version, compiled)
    edited December 2019
    Ok so just for testing I started a brand new module. Only haks in it are the updated compiled versions. Made a rural area. Put down an "Inn with path" then saved module. From the toolset clicked "test module", Aluvian went up the stairs. I backed her up against the railing facing the door, opened it and It still does the same thing for me. It teleports/pushes me down to the ground. I'm using latest update steam version with latest update toolset.

EDIT: To further test this I did the exact same thing with 1.69. New module. No haks except Medieval city and rural (the compiled updated ones you linked). "test module" button still not working in my 1.69 toolset so started the module through main menu. Still the exact same thing. Back Aluvian up to the rail, open the door and she gets pushed right to the ground.

P.S. @Zwerkules I do appreciate you taking the time to try and help.

P.S.S. Also had a friend who plays on Dragon Neck PW which uses the same tilesets test it out and apparently they have the same issue there.
    Post edited by NeverwinterWights on
    Why do you make them stand against the railings instead of against the door?

TR
    Why do you make them stand against the railings instead of against the door?

TR

The point is that that is how I discovered this and how I'm able to reproduce it 100% of the time. Whenever my pc runs up the stairs and tries to open one of the doors, half the time I'm close enough to the edge for this to happen without actually trying to make it happen. And it seems worse with larger character models.
    Fair enough, I was just curious.

TR
    edited December 2019
    This starting to sound like:
    1. There may be a tear in the walkmesh or an incorrect surfacemat setting on the vertical facings below the railing, allowing characters to "fall" through it to the ground.
    2. The dwk mesh for the door is overlapping the wok for the railing when its open, pushing the character through it and to the ground.
    edited December 2019
    1. vrxqtbkcewq3.jpg
    2. That would only happen if the door would open to the outside, but it opens to the inside and the dwks for both sides are correct.
    P. S. I still can't reproduce this bug. It works fine for me. Obviously it doesn't do that for Neverwinterwights as the video proves, but I don't see any reason for it to not work.
    Not sure if this will help or just cause more head scratching. Found as many doors upstairs as I could find in both tilesets that I seem to have this issue with. And again this is with latest Steam version with no other mods/haks except for your 2 tilesets. I also made sure I unsubscribed to anything on the workshop (except updated weapon models).

https://youtu.be/typjUeownuk
    edited December 2019
    Dude, stop backing up to the railing before opening the door. :tongue:

Just got done running a quick test in both vanilla v1.69 and v1.79.9193-5 EE using the House 1 2x2 Group from TNO Castle Ext. Rural (tiles tno01_m40_01 - tno01_m40_04) to see if the issue is isolated to Zwerk's tilesets. IT IS NOT. However, I know what is causing the issue.

When the door in the screenshot below was in the correct place, the PC model did NOT get pushed to the ground. When I pulled the door out onto the deck, the PC DID get pushed to the ground.

mve97g535gh6.jpg

It appears that if the door geometry cannot fully clear the railing, the animation pushes the PC to the ground. Barring Zwerk making all his decks wider, I don't see this getting fixed on our end - e.g. is a BeamDog issue and should be submitted as a bug.

Furthermore, I'm also convinced that it has NOTHING to do with walkmesh, as it only occurs during the time that the animation's cycling.
    @Zwerkules Thank you for taking the time to check it out and look into this and thank you for the awesome work you've put into these tilesets. Still going to use them.

@Pstemarie Thank you also for taking time to look into this. Appreciate everything you guys do.
    I could recreate the issue now, but only for some of the buildings. For example I couldn't get this to happen whith the halfling inn at all. Where I got it to happen was with the rural building in your first video, but only after six tries to get as close to the railing as possibly which I could only do using the keyboard because if I clicked that near to the railing the PC would run to the other side of it (downstairs) and holding the mouse key and dragging the mouse had the same effect. I don't see this as a big problem because it only happens when you stand so damn close to the railing that in RL you wouldn't even be able to reach the doorhandle.
    @NeverwinterWights one thing to check. highlight the door and select Adjust Location. Check the scale of your door. I have had problems with accidental scaling of doors when trying to zoom in using the mouse wheel. Because of this there is a faint possibility that your door is actually a fraction larger than it should be.

TR
  • This may be related as the walkmesh beneath the railing is set to nonwalkable.

I have some barricades - broken table placeables - setup in my module that the PC has to fight through to reach the enemies on the other side. In both v1.69 and EE v1.79, the barricades block movement but allow missile attacks over them. In v1.69, the PC cannot launch physical attacks over the barricade.

HOWEVER, in EE v1.79, the PC can launch physical attacks over/through the barricades. The PC simply steps through the barricade, attacks in melee, and then snaps back to their original position. If you try to move the PC through the barricade, the path is blocked - as it should.

Considering that placeables use nonwalkable as the face setting in their PWK and Zwerk's railings also have the same material setting (as does the TNO building I tested), it stands to reason that there is something borked with the nonwalkable material setting. It appears that the game engine is only respecting it SOME of the time.
    edited December 2019
    @NeverwinterWights one thing to check. highlight the door and select Adjust Location. Check the scale of your door. I have had problems with accidental scaling of doors when trying to zoom in using the mouse wheel. Because of this there is a faint possibility that your door is actually a fraction larger than it should be.

TR

If it happened to one or two specific doors that might make sense. But all the upstairs doors I tested (except the windmill which works fine) in my mod and in the test mod and on the Dragon Neck PW? Appreciate the suggestion though. And I'm just using the default doors already in place since you can't change doors or door appearance.
    Zwerkules wrote: »
    I could recreate the issue now, but only for some of the buildings. For example I couldn't get this to happen whith the halfling inn at all. Where I got it to happen was with the rural building in your first video, but only after six tries to get as close to the railing as possibly which I could only do using the keyboard because if I clicked that near to the railing the PC would run to the other side of it (downstairs) and holding the mouse key and dragging the mouse had the same effect. I don't see this as a big problem because it only happens when you stand so damn close to the railing that in RL you wouldn't even be able to reach the doorhandle.

For me it happens, I wouldn't say often, but enough to where I could figure it out. Maybe because a lot of the time I don't click up to them but keyboard walk up to the doors. But yeah mainly when very close to the rail. However there were a couple times it also happened when I was pressed up against the door and not the rail.