Skip to content

New Toolset Bug: Placeable Description Field

I'm reporting what I think is a new bug, or at least new to me. There didn't use to be a character limit in the string field for placeable descriptions, or if there was it was much higher than 2000 characters. Since the new update, any placables which have more than 2000 characters in their description field become truncated, as shown in this example:

4g8m5cfyr5cb.jpg

I've tested this with basic placables. I've tried copy/pasting, hand typing, etc. Same result.

Comments

• virusmanvirusman Member, Developer Posts: 173
    edited December 2019
    Thank you for reporting this. This should be fixed in the next build.
  • Old_GithOld_Gith Member Posts: 152
    I love confirmation that I'm not crazy. Thank you, Virusman!
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    @virusman are you planning to fix the module description bug, too?

If you need a test case, my Enigma Island Part 2 has a description 1028 characters long, which renders as blank when starting a new game.

I appreciate that it might not be the same issue.
    edited December 2019
    @Proleric It is not the same issue; please make a test module and repro steps; I was not able to reproduce the module description issue mentioned in another thread with the modules I have.
  • Awas73Awas73 Member Posts: 63
    Hi @virusman. These two modules are not my actual modules but the description of the modules for each are the ones I used. The 1st module was my original description that worked before the patch. The second has my shorten version of a description in order to be seen by the game. Hope this helps to maybe fix the problem. If not it would be good to know how much of a limitation we are dealing with to go forward in creating new modules. Thank you in advance for any help.
    virusman wrote: »
    @Proleric It is not the same issue; please make a test module and repro steps; I was not able to reproduce the module description issue mentioned in another thread with the modules I have.

I'll submit one too. I'm having the same issue with all of my custom made modules. I believe it's also related to the Server Description field, too (which draws from the Module Description), which is limited to about 75 characters it seems, give or take.
    edited December 2019
    @virusman to reproduce the problem, download Enigma Island (or subscribe on Steam Workshop). Start a new game, Other Modules. You will see that Part 2 has a blank description but the others are OK. Open Part 2 in the toolset. The description in Module Properties is there (1028 characters).
    Proleric wrote: »
    @virusman to reproduce the problem, download Enigma Island (or subscribe on Steam Workshop). Start a new game, Other Modules. You will see that Part 2 has a blank description but the others are OK. Open Part 2 in the toolset. The description in Module Properties is there (1028 characters).
    Tested on both 8193.3 and 8193.4 – descriptions for all three modules display properly for me.
    Not for me. I just fired up part I of Enigma Island. It cuts off after about 12 lines of text. When I test with my own I get the same result. There didn't use to be a hard limit there, at least not one that restrictive.
    edited December 2019
    Video/screenshots would help here.
    This is what I see: 252lccqio1by.png
    8chp28ilb7x8.png
    Fair enough. I posted a generic one-area module, no haks, at my Vault page here. It's at the bottom of the Downloadable files called "For Beamdog to Test". I have a module description in there that does not appear when you attempt to start the module.
    @Old_Gith Tried your module - description is fine in 1.69 but blank in 1.79.

Strangely, for me, Enigma Island 1 description appears in full. For other author's modules, either the whole description appears, or (more commonly) it is blank.

Very simple modules that had no description in the first place appear as "Module Description Not Available".
    According to the release notes for 1.79 Stable 8193.5, both the placeable and module description issues have been fixed. However, I'm still seeing the module description bug, exactly as before.
    Agreed. The placeable description fields are good to go, but module and server descriptions are still vacant if the description is long.
    I could not reproduce this bug (see above), so it has other conditions apparently.
    @virusman : did you try the generic module I posted a link to above, found herehere? It's just a one area module, no haks, all default everything, with just my custom module description. What other conditions are you meeting that I am not that I can reproduce it 100% of the time and you cannot once? If you can show me a screen shot of that working, then I will go gently into that good night.
    edited December 2019
    @Old_Gith Actually, it might well work for @virusman, since Enigma Island 2 works for him.

I, too, see this bug 100%, always for the same modules.

What setup differences might be relevant? Resolution? Operating system? Whatever? I'm seeing this in Windows 10, 1600 x 900, window mode.
    @Proleric , interesting.... you've given me some ideas to troubleshoot, thank you.
    Okay, so I tested more of this by disabling High Res Font, and then by experimenting with different res settings. I still get the same results. While the OCs and default Bioware Mods have their Module descriptions listed appropriately, I still cannot get my own modules to display their descriptions. I can only assume that it's a character limitation. Unlike the placeable description bug, in which after so many characters the field became truncated, in the Module Description issue, it doesn't display at all if it's over a certain amount of characters.
    Looks like this only happens with Windows nwmain. Descriptions render fine on Mac.