Skip to content

Toolset resource limit

2»

Comments

• SarmanosSarmanos Member Posts: 16
    Has there been any movement on this? I know it hasn't proven a highly voted on Trello subject, but for those of you on this board who have a love for persistent worlds, you should vote it up. The resource limit can stop a world dead in its tracks from growing without having to remove old content.
    WarChiefZekedunahan
  • virusmanvirusman Member, Developer Posts: 173
    Please make a report on support.baldursgate.com with a sample module that can be used to reproduce the issue. This will help more than anything else.
    dunahan
  • SarmanosSarmanos Member Posts: 16
    Unfortunately, I don't have a module available that goes over the 16,384 resource limit since I just play on PWs that have hit the limit in the past and don't run one myself. There are workarounds by moving certain resources to haks like blueprints, etc... but that method has limits and won't work with all module resources.

dunahan
  • raven280raven280 Member Posts: 5
    I have a PW that maxed out the resource limit, so any changes or additions results in the module either timing out when trying to save or an error message saying the module cannot be saved.
  • WinterniteWinternite Member Posts: 11
    Bump,

It's getting real hard to build when you are near the 16.3k ceiling, hopefully this is something that'll get upped or cap removal.
  • virusmanvirusman Member, Developer Posts: 173
    @raven280 @Winternite As I said earlier, this is highly unlikely to get fixed without a test module.
  • AschentAschent Member Posts: 15
    @virusman I'm assuming you'd need all the associated haks as well? I could probably just throw a bunch of item files into a directory and send it your way as a module to test if that would help.
  • ChreelisterChreelister Member Posts: 30
    I think the resource limit is already higher on EE. I accidentally hit 16,834 resources with no Haks on a mod. I didn't test out the mod to make sure it works, but I could do whatever I wanted in the toolset. In accidentally, I mean a bug where it is combining 2 mods into one.
  • SymphonySymphony Member, Developer Posts: 142
    I think the resource limit is already higher on EE. I accidentally hit 16,834 resources with no Haks on a mod. I didn't test out the mod to make sure it works, but I could do whatever I wanted in the toolset. In accidentally, I mean a bug where it is combining 2 mods into one.

The resource limit is not higher, and you should not encourage people to go past it, even vaguely, because it can cause serious problems if people take actions expecting it to work now because of a rumor.
    Symphony wrote: »

The resource limit is not higher, and you should not encourage people to go past it, even vaguely, because it can cause serious problems if people take actions expecting it to work now because of a rumor.

I am not encouraging people to do anything, that is why I used the phrase, I think. I am just telling people about my experiences. What does actually happen when you do go past the limit in old NWN versus EE, does anyone know? With the 16,834 resources, I was at least expecting an error in the toolset, but like I said, I didn't try to play the mod, maybe that is where the problem would lie? I don't know.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    We need a single document with all the fixes on it because I could swear that I remember that it was said on one of the live-streams that this had been increased. I didn't take much notice at the time because I personally have nothing to do with persistent worlds which are usually the ones needing large amounts of resources.

Of course I could be wrong on this but if we had a consolidated document we all could be sure.

TR
    dunahan
    edited April 2020
    @TarotRedhand I think this is where things left off.

Some people thought the limit was tied to 32-bit, but, it's more complicated than that.

There are a lot of very connected things that would have to be hunted down and adjusted for a new system.

If all of them could be located and adjusted, with confidence, there's still a lot of testing that would need to be done, and it would be likely that afterwards no one would ever really know if everything had been changed and nothing is broken.

It's not impossible, but, like a lot of things, it's something that would take a lot of work to make a few situations less uncomfortable that otherwise could have been put into big changes with universal improvements for everyone instead.

@Chreelister As far as I know once you go over the limit, somewhat random files get dropped off the other end. You probably won't know which ones specifically until one disappears that's really important.

This seems to be the case with .hak files, and possibly the override and portraits folders (Though I've not checked to be 100% sure, personally). Once you go over 16,xxx, which I don't think is exactly 16384 according to reports, you will lose as many files as you go over, and it won't be the newest ones, usually, so people don't notice right away.
    Chreelister
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    edited April 2020
    I thought it would be a 16 bit number as 16, 384 is 1/4 of 65, 536 which is the capacity of 16 bits. The actual number range being 0 to 65535 and I remember older versions (at least) of C/C++ had unsigned int/int/word variables that were 2 bytes in size (aka a 16 bit word).

TR
    Thanks Symphony for the information. So if I understand right, I could have say 18k resources, but then I could be trying to spawn creatures that didn't get loaded, give out items that don't exist or run scripts that won't run, because they didn't load up or have players get refused entry to certain areas? That makes sense, to me.
  • WinterniteWinternite Member Posts: 11
    edited June 2020
    Thanks Symphony for the information. So if I understand right, I could have say 18k resources, but then I could be trying to spawn creatures that didn't get loaded, give out items that don't exist or run scripts that won't run, because they didn't load up or have players get refused entry to certain areas? That makes sense, to me.

You can go well above the 16.3k cap in toolset which will not make much difference other than some toolset lag, if you try to boot a mod up thats above 16.3k all scripts and conv dialogues etc will stop working.

It's not that a few random resources will stop working if you are at say: 17k resources, everything will literally stop working. Although this doesn't happen immediately generally takes like 2-3 minutes for the effect to kick in.
    dunahan
    For those that are unaware, this restriction has been removed in the latest major patch (8193.15 now 8193.16).
    dunahan