Skip to content

Has some patch or mod changed rules regarding hiding in shadows?

ShaewarosShaewaros Member Posts: 24
edited January 2020 in BG:EE Mods
I've noticed during my newest modded playthrough that my thief cannot hide in shadows at all when party is outside during daytime, but hides very easily when we're in dungeon. Have some rules regarding hiding in shadows changed either with Beamdog EE patches or does some mod like Strategems of other rule change mod change these rules? My thief has Hide in Shadows of 90 in BG1, is not wearing armor and yet can only rarely hide while outdoors during daytime, even when no enemies or NPCs are in visual range.

Do some other equipment other than armor reduce Hide in Shadows skill?

Or is hiding in shadows been made more dependent on Move Silently? I don't remember having this kind of problems hiding before with 90 Hide in Shadows.
Post edited by Shaewaros on

Comments

• ShaewarosShaewaros Member Posts: 24
    Thanks! You learn something new every day.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Very_BigSwordVery_BigSword Member Posts: 222
    Note that there are actually shadow areas on outdoor maps. So if you stand in the visible shadow of a tree or building for example, your chance of success improves a lot!
    Grammarsaladsemiticgoddess
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    edited January 2020
    It's really pretty intuitive/makes sense; stand in broad daylight/near light sources=hard to hide, stand in shadows/darkness=easier to hide... rather amazed that someone didn't notice this. I remember realizing this 20 years ago and thinking how neat it was that they implemented such a detail.
  • ShaewarosShaewaros Member Posts: 24
    Well, back in the day I read the BG2 manual through like a million times and it doesn't mention a formula for how hiding in shadows works. There's literally a 4 word phrase in BG2 manual that hint that lighting level of the environment might influence the chance of hiding.