Skip to content

Good Forum Design Here :)

ginger_hammerginger_hammer Member Posts: 160
edited October 2012 in Off-Topic
I have got to say I like the forum features over here, with the ability to 'like', 'agree', 'insight' or 'promote'. Also the little icons/tiles you get for certain amout of posts, pre-ordering and what-not (related to spells ingame). It seems silly but its always nice to garner them from fellow forum dwellers and actually makes me want to post more/reply.
Must be related to the same brain response from achievements/trophies on games that you know are worthless but it doesn't stop you from trying to get more of them!
BrudeCameronToferAlexMBelgarathMTHmlnevese

Comments

• BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    Yes, there are very many features here that I find unique, especially in those buttons that mimic Facebook and other social sites.

However, there are still many features missing, most especially *word processing controls*!!

Having to resort to BB code to do any advanced posting at all is a total pain in the butt!

There's a lot that I like here, but there's still a lot of room for improvement, especially in some very basic functions. Specifically, if a user *ever* needs to start using BB code to post, then you've done something wrong.
  • mlnevesemlnevese Member, Moderator Posts: 10,214
    I agree. Post editing could be improved on. Simple controls for spoilers, image/video linking, text formatting, etc. are badly needed.

If you don't use the required codes frequently you end up forgetting the correct syntax and have to go looking for the how to fomat your posts thread.

A simple panel with the most used commands could help, but I'd like to be able to select some text in my post, click on a spoiler button, for instance, and then automatically have the selected text inserted between spoiler tags.
    BelgarathMTH
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Another thing that can be improved on, is just one mention of a new reply that you've subscribed too and updates stopping untill you visited again. With very active topics, you can end up with dozens of mails about one topic per day. It's an arduous task to delete all those mails out of the inbox without accidently deleting other mails inbetween.
    mlneveseBelgarathMTH
    I completely turned off email notification on new posts on threads I bookmar because I was often flood with them. Now I just check under Bookmarks wich thread have unread posts.
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    I would have liked to see better support for iPad browsers here..
    The "like" and "agree" etc. doesn't work on the iPad.
    Especially since they're releasing the game on tablets, it would have suited them to make the forums fully workable on tablets.

I use my iPad on many forums, and it's very seldom I've had any issues, but these forums aren't optimized for tablet use, at least not for iOS.

Also, I agree with the previous posters here, you shouldn't have to use BB code to use spoilers and text formatting, most forums have controls for that.
    BelgarathMTH
  • ginger_hammerginger_hammer Member Posts: 160
    I know the mobile format is a cut down version (without the agrees and likes) but i just click at the bottom to use the full site.
    Bytebrain
    edited October 2012
    Like etc work all right in Ipad using Chrome in Full Site View. That's how I'm posting right now. For some reason bookmarking a thread just works in mobile view though.
    Bytebrain
  • BytebrainBytebrain Member Posts: 602
    @Ginger_hammer
    @minevese
    I stand corrected!

I've been using iCabMobile for iPad, which have been my favorite browser for the iPad for a host of reasons, but it seems that on this occasion, Safari and Chrome beats it hands down.

I retract my previous comments, it works fine on the iPad, just not on iCabMobile.
    ginger_hammermlnevese