Skip to content

American Football Discussion Thread

2»

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,366
    Summon @jjstraka34.

What do you think about the Vikes so far this year?
  • jjstraka34jjstraka34 Member Posts: 9,850
    Balrog99 wrote: »
    Summon @jjstraka34.

What do you think about the Vikes so far this year?

Complete overreaction to two division road losses, and since Cousins has literally been the best QB in the league for the past 3 weeks. The team is loaded with one of the best rosters from top to bottom in the league. The problem is, Green Bay's remaining schedule is incredibly soft, and it's going to be very hard to keep pace and overtake them for the division, so at best you are shooting for a wild card (which at this point to me looks like it's going to be the Vikes and either Seattle or the Rams, as San Fran has that division locked up at this point). Actually, the most troubling thing about the Vikings at the moment is the secondary. Xavier Rhodes is no longer an elite CB, and I wish we would have traded him last year when he still had more value.
    Balrog99
    Agreed, their defense has been more suspect than I'm used to.
    Rhodes just proved your point. What a terrible penalty!
    Well, a victory is a victory (even if a bit ugly). I'll take 6-2. They still play Green Bay at home. We just might need some help from Detroit and Chicago to win the division. That's not a huge escape from reality...
    edited October 2019
    Well, a victory is a victory (even if a bit ugly). I'll take 6-2. They still play Green Bay at home. We just might need some help from Detroit and Chicago to win the division. That's not a huge escape from reality...

Thursday Night Football is horrible. Expecting these guys to play on 3 days rest given the punishment they take on a weekly basis is ridiculous. Just the league trying to milk every last dollar they can out of the product, despite the fact that 95% of Thursday Night games are objectively terrible no matter who is playing.

The way the world works, Green Bay will get to play Kansas City with Matt Moore under center, and we'll have to play against Mahomes. That alone screws us, unless he miraculously is ready this weekend.

I'm guessing Adrian Peterson will get those last 400 yards this year and move into 5th place all-time, but that is likely where he'll end up. It's not like Washington can do anything else but hand him the ball.

The situation with Dwayne Haskins proves where you end up has WAY more to do with your success in the NFL than anything else. That kid has no shot in Dan Snyder's shit-show.
    Balrog99
  • tbone1tbone1 Member Posts: 1,985
    I have heard players (current and former) say that they don't care for the short turn around to play on Thursday, but they LOVE having the extra three days afterwards.
    jjstraka34Balrog99
    Well, the Patriots dynasty is at the very least on life support, and the Vikings won a game I thought they would lose by 20 points and Kirk Cousins gets the monkey off his back forever. I didn't think the Gophers could beat Auburn either. There have been bigger wins, but I don't think I've ever been prouder of two Minnesota sports teams than the last two weeks in these football games. They played their guts out in both of them and beat superior opponents.
    Balrog99
    edited January 2020
    jjstraka34 wrote: »
    Well, the Patriots dynasty is at the very least on life support, and the Vikings won a game I thought they would lose by 20 points and Kirk Cousins gets the monkey off his back forever. I didn't think the Gophers could beat Auburn either. There have been bigger wins, but I don't think I've ever been prouder of two Minnesota sports teams than the last two weeks in these football games. They played their guts out in both of them and beat superior opponents.

I think Dalvin Cook, Adam Thielen and their defense had more to do with the Vikings win than Cousins, but it was still good to see!

Edit: Their next date is with a very suspect 49'rs team. I honestly think they should win that one (which means they probably won't)...
    edited January 2020

I think Dalvin Cook, Adam Thielen and their defense had more to do with the Vikings win than Cousins, but it was still good to see!

Yeah, but the narrative in the national media for the last two years is that he is incapable of winning any game that matters. And that bomb to Thielen and the jump-ball to Rudolph pretty much erase that at this point. The Vikings could not give Brees the ball in overtime, and Cousins was going to have to make one or two plays to say "fuck a field goal, we are going to win this now". Everyone can't do something until they do. As much as he plays it down (and he is a very polite, modest and professional guy) it was absolutely weighing on him, and you could see it in the interview after the game and in the locker room afterwards. It was like he had a 100 lb. weight lifted off his shoulders.

The 49ers are legit, and I hope the pundits say the same thing this week as they did last week, as I think it is clear Zimmer used the disrespect (which they deserved after the Green Bay game) as bulletin board material, and they CLEARLY thrived off it. That defense was down two CBs and played lights out against a spark-plug offense and an all-time great QB. Like I said, I was very impressed with how they handled themselves today. They really had no business winning that game on paper.
    Balrog99
  • kanisathakanisatha Member Posts: 1,308
    Just found this thread and popping in to say I'm an occasionally following Cowboys fan (even though I live in New England :smiley:)

But based on the thread's title, is college football also fair game for discussion here? College football is more my thing nowadays than the NFL with which I've grown somewhat disenchanted in recent years.
    I don't see why not.
    Balrog99
    I don't see why not.
    Wonderful. So any takes on the national championship game on Monday? I myself am a huge SEC fan so rooting for LSU all the way. But I think it'll be a good game because of the four teams that were in the playoffs, disregarding rankings, LSU and Clemson were very much the best two teams, with OSU and OU both being somewhat overrated.
    kanisatha wrote: »
    I don't see why not.
    Wonderful. So any takes on the national championship game on Monday? I myself am a huge SEC fan so rooting for LSU all the way. But I think it'll be a good game because of the four teams that were in the playoffs, disregarding rankings, LSU and Clemson were very much the best two teams, with OSU and OU both being somewhat overrated.

LSU has beaten the tar out of everyone, and while Clemson has been good, they were lucky to get by Ohio State. I'm not concerned about Clemson's offense being able to score, but I have serious doubts they can hold LSU below 40 points.
    Balrog99kanisatha
    edited January 2020
    I don't see why not.

LSU has beaten the tar out of everyone, and while Clemson has been good, they were lucky to get by Ohio State. I'm not concerned about Clemson's offense being able to score, but I have serious doubts they can hold LSU below 40 points.

I'll be rooting for Clemson, but LSU is probably going to win. College football is still the one arena where there isn't much parity. That's why I prefer college basketball and hockey myself.

Edit: If Alabama's QB hadn't gotten injured they'd probably have another championship...
    edited January 2020
    I don't see why not.

I'll be rooting for Clemson, but LSU is probably going to win. College football is still the one arena where there isn't much parity. That's why I prefer college basketball and hockey myself.

Edit: If Alabama's QB hadn't gotten injured they'd probably have another championship...

Frankly, I hate College football overall. Maybe that because until this year the Gophers were an embarrassment, but even now, I don't really care. The NCAA Tournament in basketball is still the best playoff in sports. The College football playoff has been.....underwhelming to say the least. I don't think it's produced anything better than we already got from Bowl selection (USC vs. Texas anyone??) and what it has mostly served to do is prove Notre Dame and Oklahoma will get the snot kicked out of them once they have to play real teams.
    Balrog99
    I don't see why not.

Frankly, I hate College football overall. Maybe that because until this year the Gophers were an embarrassment, but even now, I don't really care. The NCAA Tournament in basketball is still the best playoff in sports. The College football playoff has been.....underwhelming to say the least. I don't think it's produced anything better than we already got from Bowl selection (USC vs. Texas anyone??) and what it has mostly served to do is prove Notre Dame and Oklahoma will get the snot kicked out of them once they have to play real teams.

I totally agree about the basketball NCAA tourney being more interesting. When's the last time Gonzaga has challenged for the football championship? I daresay never...
    edited January 2020
    I don't see why not.

I totally agree about the basketball NCAA tourney being more interesting. When's the last time Gonzaga has challenged for the football championship? I daresay never...

Gonzaga has turned itself into a relative basketball powerhouse the last 20 years. The real joy is watching things like when Steph Curry (before he became the best shooter of all time) lead frickin' Davidson to the Elite 8. Something like that tends to happen more years than not.
    Balrog99
    I don't see why not.

Gonzaga has turned itself into a relative basketball powerhouse the last 20 years. The real joy is watching things like when Steph Curry (before he became the best shooter of all time) lead frickin' Davidson to the Elite 8. Something like that tends to happen more years than not.

Again, the reason that the NCAA basketball tourney is far more exciting than the football playoff. Minnesota made it to the Elite 8 not long ago. When's the last time their football team was relevant?
    But football and basketball are very different types of games. The very nature of football makes it impossible to have a playoff that large. Logistically it cannot work.

Besides, for me it is not about the format and more about the sport itself. I just simply cannot find any interest in basketball (or baseball or soccer). Hockey I like, second to football.
    edited September 2021
    Big time necro but didn't want to start another thread...

I took a look at my Minnesota Vikings' schedule before the season started and yikes, did it look tough! Sure enough they're already 0-2 after a missed field goal against Arizona last week. I think I'm going to root for them to start losing close games all season now so they get a good draft pick next year. Am I giving up too soon? At what point does one stop being a fan-boy and start looking at reality? Anybody else have insights on this? I realize my rooting doesn't sway reality, but a fan always thinks they have at least a little control over their team, even if it's rationally just in their head... ?
    edited September 2021
    Big time necro but didn't want to start another thread...

I took a look at my Minnesota Vikings' schedule before the season started and yikes, did it look tough! Sure enough they're already 0-2 after a missed field goal against Arizona last week. I think I'm going to root for them to start losing close games all season now so they get a good draft pick next year. Am I giving up too soon? At what point does one stop being a fan-boy and start looking at reality? Anybody else have insights on this? I realize my rooting doesn't sway reality, but a fan always thinks they have at least a little control over their team, even if it's rationally just in their head... ?

Solid argument to be made that they should have won both games, but they didn't (who didn't know the kicker was going to miss) and an 0-2 hole is historically not good. But they aren't buried unless they lose at home today, at which point they would be 0-3, and there is really no coming back from that, even with the extra game.

The Vikings are a decent team, they aren't going to be a trainwreck, but they are a 9-8 team that loses in the first round this year at best, and that won't save Zimmer. Their first round pick at left tackle hasn't seen the field because of an injury issue, and their first round pick from the year before was released for beating the shit out of his girlfriend, which was obviously the right thing to do, but makes that pick a complete waste. Spielman often hits on late-round players who become very good, but the only first round selection they have hit on in recent years is Justin Jefferson, and it is REALLY starting to show when compared to the rest of the league. Danielle Hunter in the 4th can't make up for Laquon Treadwell, Mike Hughes, and Jeff Gladney being complete misses.

The mid-round offensive line picks the last 5 years are below average at best, and Bradbury is a couple games from me declaring him a total bust at center. On the coaching side, Zimmer is a great coach......for a team in 1991. The league doesn't work the way he wishes it did anymore, and he isn't capable of changing. Barring some really special play the next two weeks (the Browns are no joke anymore), things could go south real fast. And yeah, the schedule is ALREADY tough and it actually gets worse later.
    Balrog99