Skip to content

Custom Model Material Texture

ClockwerkdClockwerkd Member Posts: 9
Hi, all.

I'm in the process of learning how to create custom content and models using NWMax and Gmax and have been able to create a custom weapon head model and load it successfully into a NwN module. Using the Custom Content Guide, the Making a Sword v4 tutorial, and Chilliskinner, I understand how to apply a new skin to the custom model but am not able to determine how to apply the standard NwN materials that appear on most of the standard weapons. These would be the materials that appear in the w_metal_text.tga file.

Is it possible to apply these materials without creating a custom tga file? If so, how do you apply these materials/textures in Gmax? Ultimately, I am trying to replicate the same metal colors/textures that are found on the standard weapons.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    edited January 2020
    Clockwerkd wrote: »
    Hi, all.

I'm in the process of learning how to create custom content and models using NWMax and Gmax and have been able to create a custom weapon head model and load it successfully into a NwN module. Using the Custom Content Guide, the Making a Sword v4 tutorial, and Chilliskinner, I understand how to apply a new skin to the custom model but am not able to determine how to apply the standard NwN materials that appear on most of the standard weapons. These would be the materials that appear in the w_metal_text.tga file.

Is it possible to apply these materials without creating a custom tga file? If so, how do you apply these materials/textures in Gmax? Ultimately, I am trying to replicate the same metal colors/textures that are found on the standard weapons.

Thanks in advance.

@Clockwerkd
    No, you do not need to make a custom tga unless you making changes to (like adding rune designs etc) Like any tga asset already in the game you just need to have the mesh referencing that tga and apply to your model, but do not need to include it in your files(for like download) so apply it kick it out to your hak/override and test it in the toolset and in-game. Most people keep a few of BD tga in a texture folder just to so they can see how they look in NWMax / blender, but do not include them in there downloads. After you get more comfortable with nwmax you learn to use Unwrap UVW alot more then cilliskinner and more then likely make your higher res textures using gimp or whatever texture program you use. Good luck
  • T0R0T0R0 Member Posts: 86
    There's also a "development" folder now for testing purposes that trumps all IIRC. (reminds himself to start using it)
  • ClockwerkdClockwerkd Member Posts: 9
    Thanks, @ShadowM and @T0R0. UVW Mapping and unwrapping were the key to understanding how the Bioware standard materials are applied.