Skip to content

GOG version of NWNEE v1.79 will no longer start

I have two machines on my local LAN and neither of us have started NWN EE (from GOG) since early November - prior to 1.79

The host machine (W10v1903 / I7 5930 / 32GB / 2080TI - 441.87 driver) starts fine aside from being forced into windowed mode which apparently there's a hack to fix this but that's not the main problem.

The other machine is a W10v1909 / I5 8400 / 16GB / 1080 - 441.87 driver) and no longer starts, at all. This worked just fine in November (was actually the last game played, and had zero issues for the last few months of playing)

Both machines are updated driver-wise. The GOG launcher you hit the play button and it blinks like it's going to start and comes back up green as if you've not done anything - no errors, no nothing, no launch.

Does anyone have any ideas? After updating all drivers to current, updating to W10 1909, un/reinstalling the game 3 times, disabling AV, reinstalling DX, and a lot of hair pulling, I tried some other forums ideas to launch the NWNMAIN.EXE from a shortcut and that throws an error - "Application unable to start correctly (0x000007b) ...." (this has something to do with 32bit on 64bit OS and I don't think reinstalling .NET will fix this since .NET wasn't invented when this game came out

I saw something about OPENAL being an issue and as a last ditch tried copying over the host's version of OPENAL.DLL to the install directory, and the Windows\System32 and Windows\SysWOW64 directory - It was in neither place ... This seems to be getting farther as the White load screen fires but then the Beamdog "you crashed hard :( " dialog shows up with dump files, the log had a bunch of nothing overly obvious.

Comments