Skip to content

Common PW Exploits

13»

Comments

• ACN_MilliornACN_Milliorn Member Posts: 4
    DM_Djinn said:

Beware. There's an issue in 8186 where a player can create a serverside character with 255 in all attributes and attack bonus.

EE servers running this version are advised to code some on-entry scripts that will check for invalid or hacked characters.

You must be running with ELC off. If true, that exploit has been around since day one.
  • RifleLeroyRifleLeroy Member Posts: 77

DM_Djinn said:

Beware. There's an issue in 8186 where a player can create a serverside character with 255 in all attributes and attack bonus.

EE servers running this version are advised to code some on-entry scripts that will check for invalid or hacked characters.

You must be running with ELC off. If true, that exploit has been around since day one.
    True.
    What about fix this ,@beamdog?
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    The fix is to turn ELC on. If you turn it off, it is functioning as designed.
    tfox
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    edited January 2019
    Just an FYI it seems EE fixed the shadow mage armor stacking.
    Post edited by Nic_Mercy on
  • tfoxtfox Member Posts: 87
    Nic_Mercy said:

EE didn't fix such, but it's a very easy thing to fix perhaps the server you play on dealt with it themselves.
  • Nic_MercyNic_Mercy Member Posts: 418
    tfox said:

Nic_Mercy said:

EE didn't fix such, but it's a very easy thing to fix perhaps the server you play on dealt with it themselves.
    I just realized when I tested that I did so on my version of EE that has the CPP installed >_< my bad sorry.
    tfoxDerpCity
  • DM_DjinnDM_Djinn Member Posts: 112
    edited August 2022
    {comment deleted by user}
    Post edited by DM_Djinn on
    jpsweeney94
  • SherincallSherincall Member Posts: 387
    Then you use an OnClientEnter script to check for their stats and kick them out if they are out of order. If you're using NWNX, it has a nwnx_elc plugin that does all the checks for you, taking into account more custom stuff, and it allows you to plug in additional logic via nwscript (so you keep ELC for e.g. feats, but not stats).

NWN design is that clients are allowed to do _anything_ and it's up to the server to validate it is correct. There's a dozen other ways players can send you bad data that doesn't involve modifying 2DAs - including hand crafting the network packets and sending them to your server. It is _not possible_ to validate this on the client, only the server.
  • stubingstubing Member Posts: 1
    DM_Djinn wrote: »
    Nasty, bad boy NWNers taught me a new one!

By manipulating local 2das and renaming them, pretty sure it's the classes.2da or something, you can cause the "recommended" button during character generation to give you 255 in everything, so on and so forth.
    Sherincall wrote: »
    The fix is to turn ELC on. If you turn it off, it is functioning as designed.

Be this as it may, many servers that implement custom templates using creature skins cannot use ELC. ;)

Hey DM_Djnn, I would love to try this on my server. I've had players in the past give themselves 100 in all stats and I always wondered how they did that. Could you explain step by step how to do it?
    dunahan
  • KnightMBKnightMB Member Posts: 8
    I learned a long time ago (when not using ELC or ILR) to basically strip all new characters, check their stats against what a character can make, reset stats and then save the character to the server vault so they can't do any further modifications. I've had many try on purpose to get past this, so far has worked well for 2 decades :smile:
    dunahan