Skip to content

Basilisk zone ambience

Does the slithering sound effect in the ambience track persist even after killing all the basilisks in the area or is it supposed to stop? I'm talking about the zone with Gorax the friendly ghoul and the crazy mage turning people into statues.

Comments

• smyth25smyth25 Member Posts: 219
    I looked in Nearinfinity and those sounds are listed as 'Insect' sounds as opposed to basilisk sounds (I guess it's a kinda chittering sound). So I guess that's why it wouldn't disappear with their deaths.
    sarevok57JuliusBorisov
  • enhancedgamerxenhancedgamerx Member Posts: 90
    smyth25 wrote: »
    I looked in Nearinfinity and those sounds are listed as 'Insect' sounds as opposed to basilisk sounds (I guess it's a kinda chittering sound). So I guess that's why it wouldn't disappear with their deaths.

Word. I'm just used to having sound effect cues to warn me of certain mob types in the vicinity. You can hear the bear huffs when a bear mob is close to the screen position, for example, etc. But the chittering sound was global, though, so it wasn't specific to a mob's location or anything, but rather played at constant volume no matter where my screen was. I just assumed it was the sound effect for the basilisks bugging out, but I guess I was wrong. The weird thing was, though, that when I had killed all constant, non-respawning enemies from the map, including the evil statue making mage and the goon squad in the middle, the chittering sound effect ceased. Weird.
    smyth25
  • smyth25smyth25 Member Posts: 219
    edited April 2022
    The weird thing was, though, that when I had killed all constant, non-respawning enemies from the map, including the evil statue making mage and the goon squad in the middle, the chittering sound effect ceased. Weird.

Yeah that effect seems unexpected, the system for playing ambient FX does sometimes suffer from mild bugs though. For example I find in BG2 only that the 'Main' ambience will sometimes cut out in the master areas (e.g Athkatla districts) after entering a sub-area then reentering.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on