Skip to content

Watcher's Keep bug

I'm playing BGII SoA (I have ToB installed as well), and after I kill demogorgon in Watcher's Keep, and go talk to Odren, it says "NO VALID REPLIES OR LINKS" where my reply options should be after I tell him I killed The Imprisoned One, so I can't complete the quest. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Comments

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Ideally, if you upload your save game file that would give us the option of looking at the variables to see which one is in error. Once we figure that out, it should be trivial to fix the dialog problem by setting the correct variable to the correct value.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    do you have mods installed as well? mods can be very fickle and cause problems such as these
    MathsorcererThacoBellJuliusBorisov
  • botlstikorbotlstikor Member Posts: 4
    Ideally, if you upload your save game file that would give us the option of looking at the variables to see which one is in error. Once we figure that out, it should be trivial to fix the dialog problem by setting the correct variable to the correct value.

OK here it is.
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    do you have mods installed as well? mods can be very fickle and cause problems such as these

Nope, no mods.
    so i loaded up your game, and i had no problems with odren what so ever

very strange

so i went through the liberty of speaking with him and i got the quest XP, the gold and the REP ( i would assume this is what you would have chosen ) and then saved your game without touching anything else

gorgonzolaJuliusBorisov
    so i loaded up your game, and i had no problems with odren what so ever

very strange

so i went through the liberty of speaking with him and i got the quest XP, the gold and the REP ( i would assume this is what you would have chosen ) and then saved your game without touching anything else

Ah thanks man!
    sarevok57JuliusBorisov
    my guess as to why you had this problem could be that your dialogue.tlk file might be corrupted, so if you get this problem again in the future, let me know, and i will give you a copy of my dialogue.tlk file and see if that fixed the problem ( because you don't want this to happen every time you play the game )
    botlstikorgorgonzolaJuliusBorisovMathsorcerer
    edited January 2020
    my guess as to why you had this problem could be that your dialogue.tlk file might be corrupted, so if you get this problem again in the future, let me know, and i will give you a copy of my dialogue.tlk file and see if that fixed the problem ( because you don't want this to happen every time you play the game )

OK, thanks again!
    JuliusBorisovsarevok57
  • BelnickBelnick Member Posts: 16
    edited January 2021
    EDIT 2, SOLVED
    if someone else have some problem:

I dismissed all members of the party except main character ofc, hit pause before they could talk to me, then Talked to Odren and it worked, got choices of what to say and quest complete.
    Then all members come and ask if I really want them to leave and they all rejoined.....
    I guess I should just go after Jon and bodhi quickly as I dont remember which content is ToB or not or if that was the cause....

edit:: thought it was January this years this was thread was created....forgot it is 2021 now :(

gog baldurs gate 2 complete with ZERO mods and I also get this same error....
    I tried to reinstall my old dvds and tutu, but went with gog bg2 complete instead, no mods added.
    I have used shadow keeper, but I dont see why that would cause this error, only global variable I changed was Aerie from 3 to 2 as I slept with the drow and wanted to continue Aerie romance(which I could)...

back in the days I played this game fully xx times, spending like 20 000 hours or more in this game, but I never had this error "NO VALID REPLIES OR LINKS"
    Playing shadow of amn, but with ToB installed ofc as it is complete edition.

how can I check if my dialogue.tlk is corrupted ?
    I found my others old installations of BG 2 on 3 other hard drives(lol), all those 3 dialogue.tlk were the same and all gave the same reply when I loaded the save "NO VALID REPLIES OR LINKS" so i restored the gog dialogue.tlk for now

I was thinking going into global varibles and just change it so i read the scroll instead of fighting the demogorgon, that way i have already gotten the XP for sending demogorgon back to the abyss and complete the quest with Odren....but I have no clue which value to change...If I set "demogorgon" to not dead it will still be a problem because scroll turned to ash after you sent demogorgon back home....

So I guess I have to find the global variable for "reading the scroll" and set that to done?

attached current save file

Post edited by Belnick on