Skip to content

[BGI:EE/BGII:EE/EET] Flawed method for unlimited spells + Help [Resolved]

Mordred1Mordred1 Member Posts: 4
edited January 2020 in Troubleshooting
Hello! :)

I've been looking for a way to get unlimited spells in the game (obviously unbalanced). Some second best alternatives already existed, so I tried my luck finding my own. Here are the steps:

1) Add Nahal's Reckless Dweomer to your character using EEKeeper (if you're not already a wild mage)
2) Open your baldur.lua in Documents/Baldur's Gate (the current version you're playing)
3) Make sure that those lines are added:

SetPrivateProfileString('Program Options','Debug Mode','1')
SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','Cheats','1')
SetPrivateProfileString('Game Options','WILD SURGE KEYS','1')

/!\ In my case, some of the lines kept disappearing from the file everytime I launched the game. Check the "Read only" in your baldur.lua properties if that happens. /!\

4) Load your newly edited save, then press CTRL+H. If everything is set up correctly, it should display "Surge 2" in the dialogue box.
5) You can now change the effect for each wild surge following this table:
https://baldursgate.fandom.com/wiki/Wild_Surge
6) Continue to press the buttons until you reach "Surge 73" -> Effect: "Spell cast and I feel refreshed" (the "refresh" part doesn't actually heal you like a traditional rest).
7) Now every spell you cast will completly restore your entire Mage Book + Priest Scroll + Innate abilities. You can either use Nahal's Reckless Dweomer to cast any spells in your Mage Book, or directly change it's composition depending on what spells you want (don't forget to keep at least one memorized spell in order to refresh the new ones).

Now for the flaws (and consecutive request for help):

1) Wild surges still display random graphical effects in addition to the rest one every time you cast.
2) As I said, not just mage spells get restored.
3) The biggest one yet: every character that casts spells will get the same effect (this includes your group, enemies and other npcs).

So, I've been looking for alternatives solutions to those problems. I found something way simpler, but it ultimately didn't work out. I'm talking about the "Spell: Magical Rest" in the "Effects" tab of EEKeeper. When applied to a character, it will refresh all the spells upon loading the edited save. Sadly, it disappears immediately after the initial effect, even selecting the "Instantanious, Permanent" option for "Time" doesn't seem to work.
Same thing for "Stat: Wild Surges", the only thing you can do is add values to the wild surge rolls (chance). You can't select what effects it will have in advance.

EEKeeper veterans, could you give me some help please?
Thank you for your time!
Post edited by Mordred1 on

Comments

• OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    Hi!

I figured out a way to grant a character infinite mage spells without those other problems. I made a mod for you which enables this. Download and install the mod. You can enable infinite mage spells, infinite priest spells, or both. To enable infinite mage spells for a character, after installing the mod and loading a game, enter this into the Clua Console:
    C:Eval('ApplySpellRES(\"MEINFSPM\", Myself)', 0)

This will give infinite spells to the character with the top portrait (the "party leader"). Move the portrait of the character for whom you want infinite spells to the top portrait before using the console. You can move their portrait back afterwards.
  • Mordred1Mordred1 Member Posts: 4
    edited January 2020
    Thank you so much for your response!

After testing your mod, I feel thoroughly embarassed at my lack of proper research on the subject. It's actually way better than what I could come up with.

Although there's two things I would like to ask:
    1) Does the line have to be entered in the console each time I load a save? My lazy self did the testing. It actually keeps working for the rest of the game without additional input. Amazing!
    2) Using your mod as a baseline, do you know of any method to switch spells without having to rest?

On the same matter, could you recommand me a mod to give my character permanent Improved Alacrity?
    edited January 2020
    Here's an updated version of the mod I posted earlier. Now it will also let the character switch spells without having to rest. When you memorize a spell, just unpause the game for a second and then you'll be able to cast it. Also, you'll need to enter the Clua Console command again to give the character the new infinite spells effect.

As for giving your character Improved Alacrity, I could make a mod for that, but couldn't you just do that with EEKeeper? Give your character an effect like this:

6noqcyy2vgf5.jpg
  • GalactygonGalactygon Member, Developer Posts: 412
    You need to set the timing mode of that effect to 9 (don't know what it's called in EEKeeper but something along the lines of "permanent after death"). Otherwise your character will lose that effect on death.
    Once again, thank you @OlvynChuru for your help!
    I didn't actually know that Improved Alacrity = Aura Cleansing so I'll simply edit the effect in EEKeeper like you've demonstrated.

@Galactygon Thanks for the tip, I didn't know added effects disappeared after death :o
    @Galactygon In EEKeeper, "Instant, Permanent" IS permanent after death. "Permanent" is permanent until death.

@Mordred1 The effect as shown above will not disappear after death.
    edited February 2020
    @OlvynChuru I seem to have encountered a problem with the mod. After leveling my Kensai to level 8, the script suddenly stopped working (Multiclass Kensai 8 / Mage 8). Re-entering the line in the console doesn't seem to fix the problem...