Skip to content

Can traps be disarmed in any other way except for the "Thieving" skill of a Thief?

enhancedgamerxenhancedgamerx Member Posts: 90
I know there are other ways around some game mechanics usually taken care by the thief in your party e.g. you can detect traps with the spell Detect Traps, detect illusions with the spell Detect Illusion, pick pockets with the spell "put the guy in the dirt and loot his corpse" (it's the sword icon in the spell bar) etc. but what about actually disarming traps that you have discovered? Is the Thief ability "Thieving" the only way to actually disarm a trap? And yeah yeah, I know you can just pop the respective protection potion / spell / scroll and just walk over it in the case you happen to know what kind of a trap it is, but I mean like without triggering the trap?

Comments

• jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    No, traps cannot be disarmed any other way.
    ThacoBell
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    The game seems to be specifically engineered around only thieves being able to disarm traps.

Monks for example can learn the Find Traps skill, which for thieves doubles as a Disarm Traps skill, but they cannot disarm traps.

A summoned creature walking over a trap should reasonably be able to trigger it. In effect the trap would be left inert and its effect wasted on some cannon fodder, "disarmed" in a sense, but in Baldur's Gate summons will not trigger traps. Traps will specifically wait for the player character or a companion to step on them before they go off.

Without a thief, unless you're able to just eat the trap, either through natural resiliency or through some spell protections, you're just out of luck.
    AerakarThacoBellmonico
  • MeToLeeMeToLee Member Posts: 19
    Summon spells are especially good cannon fodder for traps.
    only other thing I can offer is if you are a mage class tweaking your familiar with eekeeper to change its class to thief and boost its thieving skills a bit.
    With the exception of Durlag's Tower, traps barely matter in BG1 so you can simply ignore them and take damage as you pass through them. However, despite this BG1 actually offers a broader array of quality thief NPCs than BG2. Montaron and (later) Coran offer solid backstabbing and melee abilities and Imoen is perfectly fine with locks/traps as long as you wait a bit before dualing her to mage. Or you can always go with a FT or FMT main character which works great throughout BG1/SoD/BG2.
  • enhancedgamerxenhancedgamerx Member Posts: 90
    MeToLee wrote: »

My summoned creatures don't seem to trigger traps at all. Wheter from a wand or a spell, they just walk over it without triggering it.
    monico
  • enhancedgamerxenhancedgamerx Member Posts: 90
    edited February 2020
    jsaving wrote: »
    With the exception of Durlag's Tower, traps barely matter in BG1 so you can simply ignore them and take damage as you pass through them. However, despite this BG1 actually offers a broader array of quality thief NPCs than BG2. Montaron and (later) Coran offer solid backstabbing and melee abilities and Imoen is perfectly fine with locks/traps as long as you wait a bit before dualing her to mage. Or you can always go with a FT or FMT main character which works great throughout BG1/SoD/BG2.

I'm playing on the LOB difficulty so a single trap will pretty much waste my entire party unless I protect a single person with some spells and then solo run through them all while having the rest of the party wait in some distant safe corner. =P I'm also playing with all the new EE companions (Dorn, Neera, Rasaad, and Baeloth) so, when you count in my player character, it only leaves me one free slot for a vanilla companion, and for that I chose Branwen because I desperately need her Animate Dead spell because otherwise I don't have any tanking goons that are tough enough and also immune to stun, paralyze and fear etc, so I'm afraid I'm all out of space for a thief in my party. I have noticed that all the vanilla BG1 content traps disappear after they fire but all TotSC traps in Durlag's Tower keep firing as many times as I walk over them until someone actually disarms them, so Durlag's traps can't be cheesed through with protection spells.
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited April 2022

My summoned creatures don't seem to trigger traps at all. Wheter from a wand or a spell, they just walk over it without triggering it.
    That's the default position. Summons will trigger things like skull trap and glyphs, but not floor traps - there are mods that change that though.

jsaving wrote: »

I'm playing on the LOB difficulty so a single trap will pretty much waste my entire party unless I protect a single person with some spells and then solo run through them all while having the rest of the party wait in some distant safe corner. =P I'm also playing with all the new EE companions (Dorn, Neera, Rasaad, and Baeloth) so, when you count in my player character, it only leaves me one free slot for a vanilla companion, and for that I chose Branwen because I desperately need her Animate Dead spell because otherwise I don't have any tanking goons that are tough enough and also immune to stun, paralyze and fear etc, so I'm afraid I'm all out of space for a thief in my party. I have noticed that all the vanilla BG1 content traps disappear after they fire but all TotSC traps in Durlag's Tower keep firing as many times as I walk over them until someone actually disarms them, so Durlag's traps can't be cheesed through with protection spells.

There's no neat division like that. Some vanilla BG1 traps are repeating, just as some TotSC ones are - but in both cases the majority are not. There are no repeating traps on a required route through Durlag's Tower, so it is certainly possible to do that without a thief - but I agree it's both a bit of a pain and requires a lot of metagame knowledge. If you have the console active, you can press Ctrl 4 together to highlight all traps (and other interactive spots) in order to make it easier to avoid traps.
    Post edited by JuliusBorisov on
    StummvonBordwehrmonico
    if you're trying to solo or something and if you're a mage class just open eekeeper (note that this only worked for me on v1.0.3.0) open a save press the tools from top and choose edit out of the party characters" scroll between characters until you find your familiar. change its class to thief it isnt already and boost its thieving skills.
    If you have even the remotest worry about traps, going FT or FMT on your main addresses those worries and also frees you up to take whatever other party members you want. No need to worry about whether you "need" one or not if you go that route.

It's true that you can cheat your familiar to be able to handle traps, but if you are going to do that, why not just install a mod that removes traps from the game entirely?
  • marcosmarcos Member Posts: 70
    Grond0 wrote: »
    Ghamarro wrote: »

That's the default position. Summons will trigger things like skull trap and glyphs, but not floor traps - there are mods that change that though.

@Grond0: What mods? And how do they do get the summons to trip traps?
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited March 2020
    marcos wrote: »
    @Grond0: What mods? And how do they do get the summons to trip traps?

I had that component in a modded installation many years ago, but I can't remember where it came from. A Google search turned up the D0Tweak mod as a possibility.
    marcos