Skip to content

So I forgot to turn off my computer and accidentally left the auto roller on for 3 days...

leeowensoasleeowensoas Member Posts: 81
xf9cwbrjeasb.jpg
c0vzo3dte0zv.jpg
i2b9kbr414ec.jpg

...and this is what I found! A 104 point Gnome Illusionist/Thief! A character concept I've been looking forward to playing for ages now. However my computer is now sitting at the character creation screen because I can't decide how to assign my first two proficiency points. I know I want one in Dagger for backstabbing with the Dagger of Venom, and probably will assign the level 4 and 8 points to Quarterstaff and Two-Handed Weapon Style respectively to replace the DoV with the Staff of Striking for backstabs, and for the Staff of the Magi/Ram in BG2. What should I do with the other 1st level point?
Also, I've heard on this forum that this can be an incredibly powerful class. Anyone have any favorite tactics or unique synergies to recommend?

Comments

• Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Sling is good with your 18 strength. Shortbow or crossbow would be reasonable selections as well. I find hauling around loads of max-20/stack throwing daggers to be tedious, but you could select longsword (for Varscona) if you don't mind your only ranged option being daggers.
  • leeowensoasleeowensoas Member Posts: 81
    I definitely like crossbows for gnomes (thanks a lot Jan Jansen) and shortbows I feel like are kinda the classic choice for thief/mages. I feel like I always worry about APR with slings but this character has so much else to do in a round that maybe that won't matter as much as it sounds in theory. I do hate relying only on daggers though they get APR and strength damage which I love. Any thoughts on Single-Weapon Style (cause bucklers are the worst, and extra crits are the best!) or Darts (some decent enchanted ones and apr out the wazoo)?
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    edited February 2020
    Tsk, wisdom still isn't good enough to guarantee the best Wish results. Go back and reroll. ;)

Honestly, I don't see the point of not using CLUAconsole cheat if you're gunning for cheeserolling stats.
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited February 2020
    Honestly, I don't see the point of not using CLUAconsole cheat if you're gunning for cheeserolling stats.

I'd use the console Ctrl-8 more if it didn't give you automatic 18-00 strength. That's too power-gamey even for me...
  • leeowensoasleeowensoas Member Posts: 81
    14 WIS + 3 Tomes + Machine of Lum= 18 no? The character is gonna be solo and will get to hog all the stat boosts.
    And yeah, I play most of my games with less OP stat arrangements but this one was so ridiculously high I though people might get a kick out of it.
  • OlvynChuruOlvynChuru Member Posts: 3,075
    @OlderThan13Years managed to get an even higher roll (106!) with an auto-roller. Take a look at this thread.
  • HempzHempz Member Posts: 15
    ...and this is what I found! A 104 point Gnome Illusionist/Thief!
    I'd distribute poits in a different way: [18 18 18 19 14 17]
    You don't need this high CHA as you get +1 from tome, +2 from one of the cloaks, and in case of lower stat roll you can dump it to 11 and use Friends spell.
    18 CON, +1 tome, +1 Buckley's buckler allows you to regenerate at slow pace. Playing solo gives you plenty of healing potions though.
    Should you want to improve your s/t you can use Claw of Kazgaroth without penalties to hp and your shorties in this case.
    gujlbquc8g1k.png

If you play an unmodded game, then for ranged the Army Scythe is the best option.
    Compared to short bows with arrows (1d6) bolts deal 1d8 base, there're the most damaging projectiles - bolts of lightning with additional 4d4 electrical. So total 4-25 dmg with a single shot is better than throwing dagger even with 19 STR (8-12 dmg). There're important biting bolts as well.
    On the other hand arrows of despelling and detonation are too good to give up. So there's an option to switch dagger prof point to shortbow. And for BS there's another weapon before you get Staff of Striking - Staff Spear. 1d8+3 base, +2 from gauntlets, +1 from TH weapon style give you more BS damage than Varskona or katana +1. What is more you can take it right away after leaving Candlekeep.
    Personally I'd prefer this order:
    * Crossbow
    * Quarterstaff
    * THWS
    * Shortbow
    Also, I've heard on this forum that this can be an incredibly powerful class. Anyone have any favorite tactics or unique synergies to recommend?
    Some major spoilers here for the beginning of the game:
    Having done all things right an Illusionist-Thief is the only class who can leave Candlekeep with 3500 gp.
    Throw in 500 more from diamond in the tree on a Coast Way and you have a pretty start-up capital.
    Now you go to Thalantyr and buy scrolls of Invisibility spell. Then travel to the farm area north to FAI, sneak to the ankheg hole, get all treasures from there and immediately go invisible with the scroll. Now you have that powerful Wand of Fire. Then travel to Durlag's Tower, kill that Battle Horrors with Scorcher from the wand to get 8k exp. Sneak to the 3rd level to get Staff Spear from Kirinhale (kill her with the same wand). Don't forget to buy another Wand of Fire from the guy outside.
    Now you have 2 Wands of Fire to burn your way through the Sword Coast.
    The first point to further exp gain is Beregost Temple area where you kill that wolves pack with 2 vampiric ones worth 2k exp each.
    Another spot is ankheg area. You buff Shield spell, Mirror Images and Blind - more than enough to safely dispatch them. Another 10+k exp are yours.
    I intentionally aviod basilisks area because it's too trivial and boring.
    Concerning other useful tactics:
    If your BS doesn't kill an enemy outright, usually MM finishes the work. If you need to hide once more, just cast Invisibility.
    There's an awesome spell that's not very popular though - Wraith Form. Many enemies' attacks in BG1, SoD and early SoA are non-magical and you're invulnerable to them with the spell. Meanwhile I-T can buff up well enough for melee.
  • ithildurnewithildurnew Member Posts: 273
    edited February 2020
    14 WIS + 3 Tomes + Machine of Lum= 18 no? The character is gonna be solo and will get to hog all the stat boosts.
    And yeah, I play most of my games with less OP stat arrangements but this one was so ridiculously high I though people might get a kick out of it.

Aha, didn't realize you were playing solo; I'm used to all stats on charmain going up by exactly 1 each with 2 wisdom boosts going to Jaheira/+1 for whomever my ToB cleric is.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited February 2020
    i am not very experienced in bg and don't own sod so can not talk about it, so my suggestion is more focused on the soa-tob part of the saga.

i think that for a MT dual welding is not a good choice out of a couple of situations as the toon, even with high str, lacks of thac0.
    it can be useful on an incapacitated enemy or group of enemies, if you stack webs, equip a free action item and 2 speed weapons then you hit without to hit rolls and you can chop the webbed enemies very fast.
    or if you use mislead and go for backstabbing the 8 stabs/round (improved hasted and with 2 speed weapons) can easily take down an army in no time.
    but then the pip in DW is not even needed as you hit automatically or with the bonus of hitting from invisibility and in a no retaliation situation.

dagger is really useful for a solo MT, for the dagger of venom in bg and for the returning ones in bg2, they get ranged the str bonus and have a bow like apr.
    but at least in bg2 sling is very strong if the user has high str as the dmg from str, from the launcher's enchantment and the bullet's one stack. with the best bg2 sling and bullets you can do up to 28 dmg/hit, most of them are granted and not subjected to the dmg roll.
    more damaging then bows and xbows, that can be useful mostly for the ammo with elemental damage or that stun/dispel on hit. also dart is interesting for the stunning ones, and as has high apr there is more chance the stun happens.

a MT's tools are mainly stabs, traps and casting, he should rely on mlee power only if it is really needed, like in some areas of WK where magic does not work or against enemies that see trough invisibility and/or are immune to stabs.

so my pick as pips would be probably dagger and staff for mlee, sling, bow and dagger for ranged and then some situational mlee proficiency like club (of detonation), short sword or scimitar (as OH weapon while DW in the situations i told about before) and katana as celestial fury can stab and stun.
    a well played MT imo should use the terrain features and speed (from haste od boots) to pick the enemies one by one and to stab, run away, hide behind a corner and repeat. and if you do it is very likely that you will stun the enemy if he has a lot of hp and more stabs are needed to kill him.
    DW can also be an option, but not before charname has enough spells to tank for a long time or can cast mislead, so can be a soa pick, before i find it not so useful.

edit: if in soa you pick up aerie you will have fun, even if it defeats the solo concept.
    but she romances gnomes, she is also a multi with mage class, that has a surprising synergy with MT in a duo as she can buff to go to mlee much better then charname (she will have from her buffs fighter like thac0, 25 str and a good hp increase), she can actually DW very effectively, she can use items that charname can not, like the shield that reflects ammo, the anti undead mace and FoA and can cover the divine casting and necromancy.
    i think that it is the perfect bg2 duo, powerful and very versatile in the tactics they can use.

probably at your place i would solo the IT trough the saga then reload the save game after you exit irenicus dungeons and play again soa and tob in duo with aerie, or even in trio with her and haer dalis, trio also in romance in that case... ;):D .