Skip to content

RE: Some of These Old Models Still Have Life in Them

Been reworking the fire and frost giant models and, much to my pleasant surprise, despite being somewhat low-poly and off anatomically, they made a viable base for some subtle reworking.

I've re-scaled both according to their sizes in the MM (12-feet for fire giants, 16-feet for frost giants) and retooled some of the meshes, adding beards to each. I also made the fire giant's anatomy more dwarf-like and changed its skin-color to charcoal black. I left the frost giant's armor as is (either or hide for 3e or chainmail for 3.5e), but changed the fire giant's to chainmail (per 3e). Although it could pass as a breastplate I suppose (they wear plate in 3.5e).

411bsafsaspe.jpg
DerpCityProlericZaxaresOld_GithSylvus_MoonbowJFKTarotRedhandDaijin_Heartlight

Comments

• Failed_BardFailed_Bard Member Posts: 3
    Here I thought I was the only one that still stuck with Gmax, even if my inability to move fbx in and out of it is what keeps me from wanting to do any more animating.
    Some nice little tweaks on the giants.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2020
    Thanks, Failed_Bard. Glad to see you're still around.

GMax wasn't my first choice, but my 3dsMax license finally expired and I just can't get a handle on Blender so I'm stuck in the past. GMax can do everything I want except make minimaps, so its not that big a loss over all the bells and whistles that come with 3dsMax (90% of which I never used anyway).
    Zwerkules
  • Failed_BardFailed_Bard Member Posts: 3
    I've tried Blender a few times, and even B for Artists, which is Blender with buttons for some of the things that are hot-key only, but could never get the hang of it. I'd gotten Akeytsu to do animating in, but that requires moving models back and forth as FBX files. I'd have broken down and bought 3dsMax for it if they actually let you buy it. Renting software isn't my thing.
    I do still plan on cleaning up some of my old animations though, and I should probably go through my old files and see what all I'd done and never released. That'll go on the vault if/when I get around to it.
    T0R0Zwerkules
  • AncarionAncarion Member Posts: 155
    Nice! The OG NWN artists really came up with some interesting design aesthetics, beyond the standard old medieval fantasy tropes. In many ways, they remind me of the old school D&D artists like Erol Otus, and it's always good to see their work given some attention.
    DerpCity
  • ShadooowShadooow Member Posts: 402
    Pstemarie wrote: »
    Thanks, Failed_Bard. Glad to see you're still around.

except make minimaps

Maybe you know this but there is an automatic tool that generates minimap images from tileset. If you don't I try to look it up I have it somewhere on my disc.
    dunahan
  • @Shadooow , that would be great if you could find it. I've tried in the past but always come up empty with my searches.
  • ZwerkulesZwerkules Member Posts: 112
    You can use Symmetric's minimap generator. It requires blender and neverblender, but you don't need to know how to use blender to use it. It is super fast, easy to configure and the results are better than from the minimap generators that exist(ed) for 3dmax.
    T0R0dunahan
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited February 2020
    Deleted
    Post edited by [Deleted User] on
    @Pstemarie found it. Since the website I grabbed it from years ago still works I will not upload it on vault, get it from there: http://nwntool.coucou.net/
    dunahan
  • @Shadooow - thank you.
    oh wait a second, this one creates a minimaps from all areas in module

I believe you wanted to make minimap images for each tile in tileset right? I used this feature too isn't it in nwmax for gmax? will try to find
    dunahan
  • @Shadooow - its disabled in NWGmax because GMax doesn't have a renderer. There is a 3rd party renderer for GMax on the Vault, but I'm not sure I have the technical skill to get it to work with NWMax Minimap maker.
    dunahan
  • ZwerkulesZwerkules Member Posts: 112
  • @Zwerkules - Yeah, I ended up downloading that.