Skip to content

i want the weapon style bonus for ranged weapons. Do you?

lolthlolth Member Posts: 39
edited October 2012 in Archive (Feature Requests)
ex:
with Single weapon style : 2 pro.
if you use sling , you get -2 AC and 19-20 cri. (with no shield)

same as bows with THW style

1. i want the weapon style bonus for ranged weapons. Do you?51 votes
    1. Yes. why not?
      54.90%
    2. No. Because of ......................
      45.10%

Comments

• WonderviceWondervice Member Posts: 56
    The bonus AC is because you can defend yourself with your weapon i.e.: parry, this does not apply to ranged weapons, especially to slings.
  • LMTR14LMTR14 Member Posts: 165
    I want a conversion to edition 3.5, feats, skill points and the works!
  • moody_magemoody_mage Member Posts: 2,054
    .... because I'm tired of stoopid polls. especially when you already made a very similar topic.
  • ginger_hammerginger_hammer Member Posts: 160
    you would have your whole party ranged.
  • RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    Nah, ranged weapons already rock the house. Especially in BG1.
  • ElessarElessar Member Posts: 44
    I was thinking more like a new, fifth weapon style choice where putting points in it would help with ranged attack speed and crit range, no AC bonuses
  • lolthlolth Member Posts: 39
    but you can defend yourself with a bow using it melee in some situations
    maybe and maybe this is valid for slings
    idont get it ??
  • LugeLuge Member Posts: 90
    Archers have enough advantages already.

L.
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    I could be wrong but I thought the you did gain the bonuses from Sword and Shield style when using a 1 handed ranged weapon and a shield? I did just fire up BG2 to check and I wasn't getting any AC adjustments, but I'm wondering if this is due to a fixpack or mod, because I'm pretty sure I remember giving Jaheira a sling and shield and giving her Sword and Shield shield style in one of my earlier, vanilla playthroughs.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    It wasn't clear from the description, since it says "any weapon with a shield" and doesn't specify melee. But it is supposed to only grant a bonus with melee weapons, yes.
  • kamuizinkamuizin Member Posts: 3,704
    Make sense this request of ranged proficience.
  • SilenceSilence Member Posts: 437
    I actually might be in favour of giving archery a distinct style...

As it is, in BG1, archery is way too strong and doesn't need weapon styles to make it an awesome option.

In BG2, my answer might be different. Hence I'm voting for a style, because I think archery needs some more umph in that title.
  • MatteoTuriniMatteoTurini Member Posts: 105
    I agree with @Aosaw.
    there's a button for that.
  • O_BruceO_Bruce Member Posts: 2,790
    edited October 2012
    .... I would like to see how do you block incoming blow with dart or sling.

Edit: spelling mistake corrected.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Weapon specialization is about being specialized in a certain way of doing combat: one-weapon style is the ability to be quick with a single weapon in your hand, parrying, finding weak spots. Sword and shield style is about using your shield to stop incoming missiles and two-handed weapon fighting about learning to be quick and efficient with big unwieldy melee weapons like a two-handed sword or even quicker with a light staff. But being proficient with missile weapons or thrown weapons requires completely unrelated tecniques and skills in using the weapon, so it's completely silly to have melee weapon styles add their bonusses to missile weapons.

Being adept in missile weapons requires a skill of it's own and it's already there in the game. It's called the archer kit. If you want to ask for special archery skills for other classes and kits, that can be earned with proficiency point, two or three separate weapon styles should be added (shooting, throwing and slinging) to the game, not melee weapon styles giving inexplicable and illogical bonusses to missile weapons.
  • iassoniasson Member Posts: 101
    Give the bowmen specialization.
    i.e. Move speed while range weapon is equiped / dodge chances / long range shot / preparation of 2 shots.

cant figure why you say no, i guess its because you stick to DnD books and cant think of something more.
    @iasson everything you just described (with the exception of long range, which is irrelevant in a game that allows you to shoot to the edge of your LOS anyway) is either a benefit of specialization or a feature of the Archer kit.

I would say that a useful "style" would be one that allows you to shoot your weapon in such a way that the ammunition isn't destroyed on impact. If, for example, you could take two points in "Ranged Fighting Style", it would make it so that any attack you made that hit the target had a 50% chance of simply dropping the bolt/arrow/bullet at the target's feet, rather than destroying it.

You'd save a lot of inventory space, and it's something that would actually make sense.

My proposals:
    Missile Weapon Style
    You are adept at fighting with weapons that launch projectiles, such as bows or slings, and when you fight with these weapons, you have the ability to preserve the projectile's structure on impact. With one point attributed to this fighting style, any attack made with an equipped missile weapon has a 50% chance of dropping the missile at the target's feet, allowing you to retrieve it after combat. With two points, there is a chance that any missile will be preserved, regardless of whether or not the attack was successful.

Thrown Weapon Style
    You are adept at throwing weapons at your enemies, such as darts, daggers, or throwing axes. With one point in this fighting style, your attacks per round with thrown weapons increases by 1/2. With two points in this fighting style, your attacks per round with thrown weapons increases by a further 1/2, and thrown weapons weigh half as much while equipped.
    Another thought--and this one I just came up with now-- is the following: In general inventory, don't restrict the stack size of missile weapon ammunition. You can have 600 arrows in a single inventory slot if you like, for example. The restriction, then, only comes when you add the ammunition into your ammo slots. Further, limit the stack size to 20, 40, or 60, depending on whether the character has zero, one, or two slots in Missile Weapon Style (respectively).
    ADDENDUM to the above: give the Archer kit two free slots in Missile-Weapon Style, in lieu of Two-Weapon Style.
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    iasson said:

Give the bowmen specialization.
    i.e. Move speed while range weapon is equiped / dodge chances / long range shot / preparation of 2 shots.

cant figure why you say no, i guess its because you stick to DnD books and cant think of something more.

It's because the question was 'give the weapon style bonus for ranged weapons' and THE weapon styles, I asume, is existing weapon styles. OP spoke about 'same as bows with THW style'. I would have answered yes, perhaps, if the question was 'give A weapon style bonus for ranged weapons'.

The opening post is messily formulated and not very clear in what it is he/she is asking.

• RomulanPaladinRomulanPaladin Member Posts: 188
    Aosaw said:

Missile Weapon Style
    You are adept at fighting with weapons that launch projectiles, such as bows or slings, and when you fight with these weapons, you have the ability to preserve the projectile's structure on impact. With one point attributed to this fighting style, any attack made with an equipped missile weapon has a 50% chance of dropping the missile at the target's feet, allowing you to retrieve it after combat. With two points, there is a chance that any missile will be preserved, regardless of whether or not the attack was successful.

Hey, I think I made a mod for missiles to do that once back in the day... I also think that the original BG2 put aside some unused proficiency slots in the code somewhere... Maybe this can be made a reality with or without official support...
    the most ridiculous benefit that no one mentioned about a ranged proficience, would be diminish the penality of use ranged weapons at melee distance. Each point reduce a bit the penality.
  • KithrixxKithrixx Member Posts: 215
    I'm still of the same opinion that I was in your other thread asking for the same exact thing: Ranged weapons have significant tactical advantages over Melee weapons. They really don't need more bonuses.
    The biggest argument in favor of a ranged weapon style (or two of them), that I can see, is that once you've grandmastered your chosen bow, there's nothing left for you to specialize in. Beyond that, the Archer really shouldn't be making use of two-weapon style, but there's nothing worthwhile to replace it currently.

That said, any additional boons should be convenience-enabling, not damage-boosting (like the ones I noted above).
    Why instead of add bonus, the raged proficience just reduce penality as i stated before?

• bob_vengbob_veng Member Posts: 2,308
    no for the following reason:
    weapon styles with melee weapons are there primarily to add variety and focus to characters so that you could use single-handed weapons in different ways, dual wield them, single wield them etc. the two-handed weapon proficiency doesn't really add variety (if you are specialized in two-handed swords you'll always want the two handed weapon style) but simply serves to put two-handed weapons in balance with the rest.

ranged weapons are completely out of consideration. no variety needed there. your character will only specialize in one ranged weapon type and that's all focus the game needs to give him in respect of ranged weapons.
    also, ranged weapons are very powerful as they are. there are magical arrows and bolts that increase their damage and accuracy to perverse levels.
  • CaptRoryCaptRory Member Posts: 1,660
    Aosaw said:

I always thought that Sword and Shield Style should work when wielding a sling or a thrown weapon, because the object you're defending with is not the same as the one you're attacking with.

But that's the exception, I think. Everything else doesn't make as much sense.

That's what I always thought. Sword and Shield should count for one handed ranged weapons. Basicly just the Sling. XD