Skip to content

Killing Shandalar SCS

Hi all,

I killed Shandalar with SCS installed in my last run and don’t remember how. Just tried and it seems impossible. Wands don’t work on him like old threads suggest. Not sure how I did it! I do remember wacking him many times due to all his damage resistance

Comments

• monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    edited February 2020
    I don't know about SCS, but lowering his saves seems a mandatory first step, then I'd use things like wand of paralyzation, webs or other debilitating spells.

More often than not though, I just accept that this guy is too powerful for me and avoid irritating him :wink:
  • ShangerooShangeroo Member Posts: 84
    I recall killing Shandalar when I played years ago on PC, but in the recent EE version on IOS, it seems like something changed where you can't paralyze him and the hardest part is he always teleports away. Is he still killable in the recent EE version?
  • tedmann12tedmann12 Member Posts: 128
    He is, because I killed him last time I played and took his robe, his scrolls and got tons of XP. I just can't remember how I did it... I tried letting him cast spells, then go into the inn and rest and come back out, hoping he would eventually run out but it seems like he just had infinite spells.

Oh well, I pick pocketed all the scrolls and bought the same robe from high hedge. Still wanna kill that little fucker
    edited February 2020
    Just tried again with a different tactic. You're right, he can be killed in the latest EE version. Just requires different tactics. I recall back in the PC days, I used a Scroll of Magic Protection on him and he couldn't cast spells. Now you can't target enemies with that scroll. But here's how my gnome illusionist/thief killed him solo

1) Set 7 traps around him
    2) Cast Globe of Invulnerability on yourself
    3) Use Greenstone amulet on yourself
    4) Cast Magic Missile on him
    5) Cast Cloudkill on him
    6) Cast Greater Malison
    7) Cast Feeblemind - which worked, don't know if I needed to do this, but it was fun. Perhaps you would so he won't teleport away.

He should eventually die and you will be immune to his Confusion, Lightning and Fireballs as Cloudkill does it's job.

Prior tactics I've tried was to avoid reputation loss. Of course when I did this a bunch of commoners died and my reputation dropped from 20 to 4, but hey it's worth it :)
    Balrog99
    15yge4itdeqz.jpeg

:)
    Balrog99
    I can try that, but idk if you were playing with SCS installed, which makes him a lot stronger. He starts combat with tons of buffs etc
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    just for hind sight, if you are trying to kill him ( mostly for his robe of the neutral arch magi since there is more than enough XP in the game for a party of 6 to hit the level cap ), dradeel also wears one on were wolf island, and he is much easier to kill ( and you can still get off the island without him )

and the EEs shandalar can easily be killed with a wand of paralyzation, you just have to remember that all his saving throws are 0 ( thanks to the robe he is wearing ) so his chance to fail is pretty small ( 15% )
    edited February 2020
    I tried the wand, after casting greater malison on him and he was rolling a 2 and still saving, so idk. SCS might make it impossible
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    how many times did you try casting it?

do you have spell/item mods installed as well?

shandalar can making saving throws with a 0, although with greater malison all his saves should be 4, so he shouldn't be passing with 2s

the only time you see the saving throw number is when someone succeeds

it could also be because his globe of invulnerability could be blocking the wand....?

if you have a sorcerer at level 9 you can try using secret word to remove his spell protections ( or if you have a mod that adds secret word to your game or just use the cheat console to summon the scroll up, unless it can be found at sorcerous sundries i dont remember )
    sarevok57 wrote: »

it could also be because his globe of invulnerability could be blocking the wand....?

quote]

Yes, that's why I had to resort to using level 5 spells like Feeblemind and Cloudkill. When you fight him solo, I don't think its possible to cast Greater Malison and then use the Wand of Paralyzation because after you cast the first spell, he has the Globe up. In trying this tactic again, stunning him with Feeblemind is key as Cloudkill won't kill him fast enough before he teleports out.
    sarevok57monico