Skip to content

How old were you when you got BG?

Comments

• Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    @Gilgalahad, Vic 20 that's old. Though a few months ago I saw on GOG (I think it was) someone talking about a mainframe computer where he played a game that was fed with a paperfeed tape (not sure how to say it in English, a roll of paper with holes in it he had to guide through a feeder).

@ginger_hammer My first (actually, it wasn't mine, it was my dad's) computer I played games on was a Acorn BBC as well. The first game I tried was a text adventure called The Hobbit. I didn't get beyond the first room.

I had more fun with Starship Command, Elite and Pengu (a kind of Pacman with Pinguin characters). A revelation when my father hooked on old colour TV to the BBC computer and I saw the pinguins in color for the first time.
  • ginger_hammerginger_hammer Member Posts: 160
    Elite was best bbc game i reckon and pengu was cool too! Exile was another good one.
  • WanderonWanderon Member Posts: 1,418

Had you read my post and done some math you'd see there's another even older than you ;-/....moi.

Well, wasn't familiar with what a 'dog year' is. Just now I checked Wiki, it says it equals 1/7th of a year. Actually, the math doesn't go any further than telling you were 38 when you got Baldur's Gate. You're post doesn't say when you got BG. There's an untold presumption perhaps, you got it when it came out? Than you're indeed older!

Sorry if that sounded rude, i didn't mean it to :-). I was teasing. Yes i bought the game the day it came out and was 38 at that time which makes me...ancient now hehe.

Ha! If you are ancient I must be older than dirt... ;-)

(I was almost as old as you are now the day I got BG...)

Sorry if that sounded rude, i didn't mean it to :-). I was teasing. Yes i bought the game the day it came out and was 38 at that time which makes me...ancient now hehe.

Don't worry. I actually worried about the same thing, if my reply sounded more offended than I really feel.

Nice to see someone over 50 enjoying the game. (snip)

Out of curiosity, what was your first ever computer-game?
    My first computer game was Zork on the Commodore 64... ;-)
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    Can't really remember the exact date, I think I first played Baldur's Gate II sometime in the early 2000's when I was a kid. My parents bought it for me and now I'm happy that they introduced me to it. :)
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    Wanderon said:

As old als Elminster? ;-)

• nptitimnptitim Member Posts: 111
    I was 22 and had played all of the other D&D computer games so I was excited about it
  • PaladinPaladin Member Posts: 335
    I was 10. My brother was 13 and got it for his birthday in 1998. Somehow, I ended up playing it more than him and loved it.
  • mungomunkmungomunk Member Posts: 63
    I must have been 12 or 13 and was just blown away by the complexity and magnitude of this game.
  • ArktosaArktosa Member Posts: 73
    I remember receiving a dnd 2.0 player handbook for my 7th birthday on Oct. 8 Than when the game got released the 30th november if I remember... My dad came to me and asked me if I did my homework about reading the book. Than he handle me the game and told me ''Welcome to the world of dungeon & dragons''. My guess is that if I never played that game I wouldn't be so much interested about all dnd universe... and I would be called an incult to never played such a classic.
  • triclops41triclops41 Member Posts: 207
    edited October 2012
    I was 20 and my college roommate had it on his PC in our apt. I became like Gollum, hogging his own PC from him and finding every spare moment to play "my precious".

My experience with Starcraft Broodwar was a similar experience only a year before.

Thankfully now, I can afford my own PC and games, and I am the one who lets others play my games.
  • ZraenianZraenian Member Posts: 26
    I was 15 still in "high school" and a friend of mine gave it to me back then as a lend. So it must have been august 1999. Start of the new year and i that year i was learning more about spells and game tactics then chemistry econmics or math then ever before haha!
    Thank god they didnt have mmorpg's back then or the internet wasnt so wide spread as now, i would have been a terrible student haha!
  • cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    I was 15 years old when I got the year 2000 issue of a German gaming magazine PC Player (which is bankrupt by now and it's issues are a relatively sought after collectors item). On one of the two discs there was a huge 600MB demo of BG2, basically the whole first dungeon.

To go along with the demo there was a huge test of same game in the magazine itself, granting BG2 the game of the year award. Ultimately, I needed several tries to really get into the game, just because of the complexity of AD&D2. Two years later, a friend who had already beaten BG1 and 2 helped me with the theoretical backgrounds like THAC0 and negative AC. I then created a new char, a paladin called Merlin and finished that demo, then got myself a copy of the full game to get hooked forever :)

Wanderon said:

As old als Elminster? ;-)

Oh yeah - Me & El we went to different schools together - (old schools of course) but he's probably got me by a few... ;-)

• ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    I think I was 11 when my uncle gave me BG1 for Christmas shortly after it came out. I played BG1 and BG2 for continuosly until 2005 or so and then my computer crashed. I didn't want to start a new character over again from scratch so I stopped playing for several years and then finally gave up on that and started a new BG2 game in 2011 when I was 24, although I was finally able to recover my old BG1 character from my crashed hard drive and continue with him around the same time so that wasn't a complete loss.
  • DeathMachineMiyagiDeathMachineMiyagi Member Posts: 120
    I was 18 and had been looking forward to BG for some time. I even remember posting on the original BG forums, way back when, as the developers had to gently remind people that, no, putting a Tarrasque in a game with a level cap of 7 or 8 was not planned.

I remember staying up all night playing it the first night I got it. My first character was a Paladin, if only because it seemed an appropriate foe for that big hulking guy in overdecorated armor who showed up in the intro movie.

Good times.
  • DrZannDrZann Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2012
    I was 36. Had just moved to a new city, thought it would pass the time while I searched for a new pen&paper RPG crew. I was a total Greyhawk snob.
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    I got BG1 a year after release, i think, which woulda made me 30 @ the time...
    not sure what my first game ever was...do arcades count?
    probably Pac Man...as far as console games, Pong; also remember playing a couple of games on the Commodore 64, but can't remember what they were....
    @DrZann...Greyhawk is still my default campaign world when I DM...
  • DrZannDrZann Member Posts: 3
    edited October 2012
    rexreg said:

I got BG1 a year after release, i think, which woulda made me 30 @ the time...
    not sure what my first game ever was...do arcades count?
    probably Pac Man...as far as console games, Pong; also remember playing a couple of games on the Commodore 64, but can't remember what they were....
    @DrZann...Greyhawk is still my default campaign world when I DM...

You must have played Zork on that Commodore 64. It's the only game from that era I remember and everybody had been eaten by a grue at least once. :)

I'm still largely a Greyhawk myself. Though I've stuck with the World of Greyhawk boxed set from 1983 and the Greyhawk Adventures book from 1988. With some of the Mystara and Lankhmar settings added over the years. I mostly run the RuneQuest game system there these days, but have been eying Castles and Crusades.
  • mjsmjs Member Posts: 742
    12: it was the first PC RPG i ever played
  • ZemeZeme Member Posts: 19
    I was 7. I didn't know any english. It was difficult to say the least but I enjoyed the little I played it.
  • darrenkuodarrenkuo Member Posts: 366
    I hope 15 years later there is one thread which is " How old were you when you got BG-EE/BG2-EE?" in the BG3 forum,
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    I was around 15 or 16 at the time. Started with BG2, after hearing from a friend about Haer'Dalis. He interested me so I got the game, and honestly, by the end of my playing it, Haer'Dalis was one of my least favorite parts of it. I just. I just loved everything. I had a bunch of sadtimes because my computer derped a lot and sometimes wouldn't run it. I actually got depressed when it stopped working on my computer and I couldn't play it for about a month. I got into BG1 about a year after BG2.
  • I was 12 and like @Tucker I'v got the game for free on DVD. The first year I tried it and didn't understand I at all (I'm Dutch) I always ended up attacking the tutors.

I don't know when I picked it up angain but I know I got BG2 at launch. I'm still playing and about to finish BG1 with a cleric/mage.
  • TetraploidTetraploid Member Posts: 252
    I don't remember exactly, but while I was in school. So maybe 14 or so? I know that BG2 was already out when I got BG1, because my friend had it. As for my first computer game...apart from card games and minesweeper, my first games were educational ones. Sounds silly but they were great, both from a playing and a learning perspective. I really enjoyed them, anyway!
  • rufus_hobartrufus_hobart Member Posts: 490
    i was 21, friend of mine had got bg1 for christmas in '98 and after seeing him play an early chapter - around the Nashkel area, i knew i had to have it, so got it early '99...
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    i think i was 29 (1999)...got Torment when it first came out; i was playing in a Planescape campaign & Torment seemed more necessary then BG...
  • mickeyblueeyessjmickeyblueeyessj Member Posts: 12
    I first got BG at persuasion of a friend back in the fall of 2000. It was great and I went out and got TotSC as soon as I could. I picked up BGII:SoA and ToB a year later on September 10th, 2001. I remember that pretty clearly because I got t-boned on my way back from the store and it was the day before my birthday.
  • saffon69saffon69 Member Posts: 58
    29, went down town to buy only for them to have sold the last 1 , gutted got home and my mate's wife had bought it for him...he had know idea what AD&D was so I got it a day later and £5 cheaper ..yes :)
  • RannRann Member Posts: 168
    I was 31 -- one of the best Christmas gifts I ever got (I hadn't even heard of the game, though I was a big Gold Box fan). Played it with my second son sleeping on my lap -- he was born the month after I got the game.