Skip to content

POSSIBLE BUG???

I'm not sure if this is a bug or not, but twice I've lost my spell casting abilities in ToB when my characters reached 24th level: once as a Ranger/Stalker, second as a Paladin/Cavalier. This second time (with the Paladin) I also lost my ability to turn undead. Both times this happened as I was about to launch my assault against Abazigal's enclave. Now to clarify: I use EEKeeper to mod my SAVE GAME file, as I refuse to play an evil character. I also think it is wrong for the game to unabashedly change a character to an ???/Evil alignment just because it is a new "Chapter" of the game. Regardless, why would a PC all of a sudden lose certain abilities on the User Interface, while everything else is showing that everything should be working properly? Is this a BUG, or am I missing something? Also, I've been playing AD&D 2ed since the 80's and their is no logical reason for this to happen. Thank you in advance for any assistance.

Comments

• MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    Any other mods installed? Can you upload your save game file for us to examine?
  • Davidws10Davidws10 Member Posts: 13
    The only other mod is Imoen_Forever. I can't figure out how to upload my game file.
  • MathsorcererMathsorcerer Member Posts: 3,037
    When you go to make a comment, one of the icons is for "attach file", which would allow you to browse your computer for a file to attach, targeting your .gam file. Of course, this presumes that you are using a computer as opposed to a console or iPad.
    I tried to attach that file but received a message that the file was not allowed.
  • monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    Did your reputation drop too low (less than 8) maybe? It seems, from your description, that you became a fallen ranger/paladin.
    Several transformations into the Slayer could be the reason of a rep drop, low enough to make you lose your special ranger or paladin abilities.

Alignment change I think can have the same effect, but IIRC, the only instance where your alignment can change is during the Hell’s Trials at the very end of SoA.
    gorgonzola
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    i agree with @monico , falling seems the cause, and if it is so it is certainly not a bug, but an intended game behavior.
    maybe to keep for yourself malla's stone is also a reason to loose reputation, surely to give it back to her or marlowe rises it by 1.
    an other place where to loose rep is if you try to steal in that house you have to pass trough to access the upper part of amkethran where there is a person sleeping, he/she (i don't remember the gender) wake up every time.
    as both times happens when you was about to launch my assault against Abazigal's enclave those are also possible reasons to loose reputation.

even if you say "i refuse to play an evil character" and for a not evil one to have the reputation so low that few less points make you fall it is actually to play in an evil way imho, usually my parties well before that point of the game are at the top of reputation without need to spend money in temples to rise it.
    I understand the "fallen" status and low reputation causing a loss of abilities. But that wasn't the situation in either case. In both cases, the spell icon in the UI (at the bottom of the screen) just went black. The cleric spell icon showed my spells were there. The character information screen showed Lawful Good on my alignment, with a reputation score of 20. Everything should've been fine. Both times this happened my character's had just reached 24th level and the party had just defeated Draconis. I'm at a complete loss.
    monico
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    so it is not a reputation problem, what happens reminds me when you equip an armor with a FM, the spell casting is still active, but he can not cast as he is wearing an armor, so the spell casting button is grayed.
    but i am not aware of any item or condition that makes divine spell casting act like so.
    unless your charname is somehow dumb, try to sleep or cast on him dispel magic or vocalize.
    i doubt that this is the cause as i don't remember draconis casting a spell that make people dumb, but is the only reason i can think about.
    monico
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    I'm confused by your original reference to changing to an evil alignment, given your later clarification that your characters had not changed alignment. The game should never make an alignment change just as a result of a chapter change. The obvious reasons for changing alignment are as a result of not following the good path in the Hell trials or equipping cursed items, but it doesn't sound like that's what you mean.

To attach your save game, try zipping the whole save folder and attaching that.
    StummvonBordwehrmonico