Skip to content

Returning 2.0 - The most ambitions mod and the closest thing to a GOOD remake that we have

SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
Gothic 1 remake teaser had like 95% of approval among the people who answered the survey BUT if you look to steam achievements page of the game, most people did like myself and rage quitted after the first battle(around 2/3 of player base) and the survey link only got send after the game was complete. That said, for those who wanna a play Gothic 1 or Gothic 2 with modern graphics, i recommend the mod Returning. A picture of a necromancer in returning with the graphical changes

wputx4idwmi41.png?width=1020&format=png&auto=webp&s=dcd3115e97d79c269c1c2163c094b1395a33437a

Yep. This game wasa made in 2002 - From Sinitar Gaming(youtuber)
That said, i will advice that the mod is not perfect.

The cons :
  • Too hard to install
  • The translation to English is not good; It made very hard to know who i need to kill in the monastery in order to be accepted as a Dark magician aka necromancer. Also made very hard to find the reagents to make my Spear of Darkness spell. This is not a problem for Russian speakers. Is frustrating to spend LP to learn the circle 3, then LP to learn how to craft the spell and be unable to craft because you don't know what reagents are.
  • Too much power creep. On Gothic 1, as a circle 3 magician, i had problems engaging orcs. And shadowbeasts, i need at least circle 3 to have little chance and circle 4 to reliable take then down. On G2, is far harder. But on Gothic 2 returning, i killed shadow beasts when i got circle 1 magic. And at end game, according to some videos that i saw, you can summon armies of Archdevils. At this point i wonder if you serves Beliar or Beliar serves you... But even with this con, the game still extremely hard.

The pros
  • Much more options. You can become a Xardas apprentice, something impossible on G2 despite Xardas being the guy who teaches circle 6 for you in the first game. Can also become a Water Mage despite Saturas not liking you due G1 reasons.
  • Much more skills and weapons. Polearms, shields, etc.
  • Much better graphics.
  • Much more hours of content. Not only on the main story line, but also quests depending your guild. You can even learn demoniac language if you are a necromancer(and it is not easy)
  • The mod is huge. Took me almost 50 hours to complete only the chapter 1 and 2. And i din't started with most optional content yet. Some people on the worldofgothic argue that the game is 250 hours long
  • Magic is not broken like original Gothic 2. Ice Block freezes stops when you attack enemies. Fear works in way less creatures. You can no longer cheeze even seekers with ice block + melee attacks. The duration of transformations are far more limited and summoning magic now has a mana upkeep. More skeletons you have, more mana per second it will consume. Offensive magic that was trash on original gothic 2, is now much more viable.

The neutral

• Too hard. Most of sleeping and eating features can be turned off if you choose "easy", but the game tends to have way a lot of powerful enemies to face you. Raven for example, took 8 tries for me to """"defeat"""" him and his encounter is nothing like the base game. Gothic 2 is already extremely hard for modern standards. This mod makes the game far harder. And is not only the combat who is hard. Get 30 INT(one of the requirements to become a necromancer) took so much time and effort that i literally backuped my save in case that my computer stops working. You get INT by performing intellectual tasks, reading books(that are expensive), using alchemy, etc.
  • Some story lines that makes no sense. For example, Xardas instead of a Dark Magician who uses dark magaic against Beliar agenda is apparently someone who serves Beliar in many parts and fight against him in others. The Swamp Camp gurus are also back despite having no reason to then exist after the fall of Barrier on G1. It by one side create a lot of interesting content, As a necromancer this is more exaggerated. In one day you are killing the most pure follower of Innos and in another you are working with Innos followers to get the Eye of Innos back from Beliar's followers. Not saying that the original Gothic 2 was perfect in this aspect. A fire magician paying at Beliar's shrine to get runes that summons undead makes no sense.

I recommend Returning 2 for those who wanna play a Gothic experience with modern graphics. As well, new quests, new enemies, new places and a extremely challenging experience.
A quick gameplay . The graphics are not that good exactly because i an playing in a low end notebook with playonlinux + wine and recording. I din't installed the DX11 stuff.
And a installation guide

Comments

• SorcererV1ct0rSorcererV1ct0r Member Posts: 2,176
    edited February 2020
    OMG. This game has the best necromancy ever.

Some battles from chapter 1 to 4 as a necromancer.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WxVRf63jaPM

Why necromancy on returning 2.0 is so special?
    • - No summon CAP. I literally tried to fire the ICE dragon with a army of more than 60 demons (it caused access violation once the ice dragon started to use his minions too and big AoE storm spells.
    • - But minions have a mana upkeep cost; more undead/demons you have, more costs not only to create your dark army, but to maintain;
    • - Become a necromancer is hard involves a taboo and hard quest who requires you to kill the most pure follower of Innos on his monastery and is not easy to do so. AND the hardest thing ever. Grind INT, that you obtain by reading, doing alchemy, etc. Money is too scarce in beginning of the game and reagents/books too expensive
    • - You can threat people on dialog, saying nasty things and with high rhetoric, they tend to be persuaded
    • - There are a lot of unique skills only for necromancers. Eg - You can learn the demoniac language and read books like necronomicon, can learn how to use your own lifeforce as mana
    • - No cooldowns / carnavalesque armor / etc
    • - Unique questlines not only to become one but also to learn unique skills and runes. Your master(Xardas) will require the reagent ectoplasm to teach you how to create the "death to the undead spell"
    • - Craft necromancer spells require different reagents compared to craft water/fire magic spells. Get the demon heart to be able to create lesser demons in particular was not a easy task.

So far i an loving the addon to G2. Arcanum had also good necromancy, where you could even conjure spirits to talk to then. Diablo 2 too had a amazing necromancy, but i on't think that nothing reaches the same level of this game with the returning 2.0 add on...
    Post edited by SorcererV1ct0r on