Skip to content

Questions on using an NPC as CHARNAME

MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
I saw this post from Julius on Aerie's thread, and rather than tart up her thread, I thought I'd ask this as a separate one.

Since I can't resurrect that thread from the dead with my current level of skill, I'd like to ask a couple of quick questions here.

1) Can you do this on mobile / via EE-keeper, and
2) Does NPC as PC have the same restrictions as the NPC on romances?

Say, for example, you opted to make Jaheira your PC/CHARNAME, but you also have Isra or Sirene (or any other female NPC companion compatible with female PC's). Will Jaheira be able to romance them, or will her compatibility checks fail?

Conversely, will her own romance/quest play out at all, or will it short-circuit by being CHARNAME?

This is a fascinating concept, and one I'd be interested in trying. I might even create a separate save just to see how this works.

RPing this would be easy, too. Irenicus killed your original PC while "testing" them. Jaheira was spared as a possible test subject because she is also a Bhaalspawn, but Khalid? Sorry bucko...

Comments

• gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    i can not answer to your questions as also i discovered the possibility to have a npc as charname in the same thread and i did never try.

but as you open this thread i have an other question: is possible to have elminster join the party in bg2?
    with the console afaik is possible to have every creature in the game join the party, so doing it when charname has been kicked there should be no problems in having him join.
    and he is a powerful cleric mage with 50% mr, some fire resistance, some interesting innate spells, + 3 casting speed, invisibility detection and other very interesting things.
    but being not a npc he has also some scripts and this can create some problems.
    i remember that many years ago i used the console to have a mind flyer join the party, but the result was that his scripts made him attack the other party members overriding what i (player, not charname) ordered him to do.

surely he is overpowered, but i suppose that a vanilla run with him as charname should be fun to play...
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    i can not answer to your questions as also i discovered the possibility to have a npc as charname in the same thread and i did never try.

but as you open this thread i have an other question: is possible to have elminster join the party in bg2?
    with the console afaik is possible to have every creature in the game join the party, so doing it when charname has been kicked there should be no problems in having him join.
    and he is a powerful cleric mage with 50% mr, some fire resistance, some interesting innate spells, + 3 casting speed, invisibility detection and other very interesting things.
    but being not a npc he has also some scripts and this can create some problems.
    i remember that many years ago i used the console to have a mind flyer join the party, but the result was that his scripts made him attack the other party members overriding what i (player, not charname) ordered him to do.

surely he is overpowered, but i suppose that a vanilla run with him as charname should be fun to play...

In the original versions (BG1 included) There used to be a cheat that summoned a non-hostile Elminster that you can ctrl+k . He had every spell in the game memorized.
  • AerieAerie Member Posts: 226
    Hi @Maurvir , I appreciate you not ''tarting'' up my thread. Will try to answer your post as best as I can.

1) So I don't play on mobile so I don't know, also you don't need EE keeper to do this, just have cheats enabled.

2) A NPC as charname will be able to romance other NPC's. If worst comes to worst with romances you can always use the console codes :wink:

A Jon Irenicus playthrough seems like a cool idea, maybe as you progress through the story you could take Bodhi as well. Also you can make any NPC join your party.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    Aerie wrote: »
    A NPC as charname will be able to romance other NPC's.

I've seen some of that "talking to yourself" in your thread. Now I'm imagining the Dorn playthrough in which he romances himself. Narcissism, anyone?

Except... romantic availability can do some funny things. I had a run in which I gender-flipped a character in the starting dungeon; they romanced both Aerie and Anomen simultaneously. Your approach, of starting with a male character and killing him off, may do something similar in confusing the gender availability flags. Would your take on Aerie consider romancing herself?
  • AerieAerie Member Posts: 226
    jmerry wrote: »
    Aerie wrote: »
    A NPC as charname will be able to romance other NPC's.

I've seen some of that "talking to yourself" in your thread. Now I'm imagining the Dorn playthrough in which he romances himself. Narcissism, anyone?

Except... romantic availability can do some funny things. I had a run in which I gender-flipped a character in the starting dungeon; they romanced both Aerie and Anomen simultaneously. Your approach, of starting with a male character and killing him off, may do something similar in confusing the gender availability flags. Would your take on Aerie consider romancing herself?

Romancing one's self is an interesting concept. Romancing myself, though? No.
  • MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    Ok, so it doesn't appear certain CTRL+ combinations work in the Android version (though, interestingly, a lot do). So, I was unable to replicate the first step of removing CHARNAME from the party.

Also, it would seem that there are actually fairly few NPC companions who don't leave at some point as part of their personal quest.