Skip to content

How do you beat the Temple District's "Guarded Compound" mission?

I killed everyone inside I think... and I got the nice katana but the wiki says it's supposed to turn into a bar after I beat it... what gives?

Comments

• MaurvirMaurvir Member Posts: 1,090
    I accidentally found the Twisted Rune lair the first time, and as the party wasn't even remotely ready for that encounter, had to reload. As Easter eggs go, that can be an extremely nasty one, since you can't back out until you have practically finished it. (Ok, technically you could, but you would need to be very fast/lucky)

As for the guarded compound, I never connected them with the Rune. Instead, I assumed they were the rich, fat owners of the slaver compound in the slums. Even if there wasn't a technical connection, it just seemed too obvious.
    iosfrustrationgorgonzola
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    Maurvir wrote: »
    I accidentally found the Twisted Rune lair the first time, and as the party wasn't even remotely ready for that encounter, had to reload.
    for a not spoiled player with a low-medium level party it is a very nasty surprise... :D
    and if you don't have a save too far from it the auto save is done only after the precious gem is used.
    but the reward is great, the SoTM is one of the more useful items of the game.

as i told you i did not had your "luck" as all the times i did not had the stone with me.
    when, spoiled about it, i finally fought that battle it was with the tactics mod installed, as the first thing i did after getting an internet connection was to try out that mod, and there the enemy mage actually uses the staff at its best, moving around and staying invisible all the time, appearing only to cast some spell to you and disappearing before you can target or reach her. but with aoe spells it was not a problem, i was prepared.
    the vanilla fight is quite easier if you know what to do, it has been soloed at low level by more then one player, there are YT videos about it, but not spoiled is very easy to loose as it is a quite not usual battle and the tactics that usually work at early stages of the game there are not the key to win.

in comparison the guarded compound seems to me much easier, at the first level if you avoid to be surrounded by the monsters at the first level (again meta game is really important) they fight against each other until only the most powerful survives.
    the main party at the second level is nasty, they have celestial fury, some good caster and tough fighters, but somehow if you know the tactics that usually work in the game are not so difficult to overcome.
    find and disarm traps, true sight invisible enemies, disrupt and debuff casters, tanks and summons to shield the casters and focused fire on the main threats as soon as they can be targeted (casters debuffed and thieves true sighted) usually do the job.
    and also crowd control spells can help a lot.
    it is the bread and butter of how to fight in vanilla, they are tougher then let's say tarnor and his party, but not so much.
    you can even retreat in the lower level and only some of them will follow you, the divide and conquer tactic make that battle even easier.

StummvonBordwehr
    Yes, the guarded compound battle isn't really that bad if you are even mildly prepared for battle. It's a fairly straight-forward fight compared to the TR compound. I never bothered with retreating, though - it's easy enough to spam summons to act as meat shields, then lay down some AOE spells.
    gorgonzola
  • AerieAerie Member Posts: 226
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    also the minotaur that dies without you being able to save him in a sub area of the slums sewers was probably a part of it.
    the twisted rune and guarded compound has been left in the game as it was released like a sort of easter eggs.

Yeah, that Minotaur always interested me.

I wonder if he was originally planned to be a joinable NPC? It would make sense if he was meant to be a NPC considering that you would have to save him and he does seem to be in the middle of a quest...
    gorgonzola
    i doubt that he was originally meant to be a npc, but i am pretty sure that he was functional to some quest that never made it to the released game.
    and i am only guessing that the quest was slavers related, i have not clues about it.

afaik is not possible to save him, i did try so many times, even with some high level parties, but i suppose that his death is scripted.
    but i don't know if originally was planned to have him possible to save or he had to die and you could loot on his body some piece of paper or other item that is a clue or the starting point for a quest.
    i suppose that he was originally scripted to die and only the clue for the quest was removed when they decided to cut the quest, but again i am only guessing.
    It wouldn't be the first time. Remember the slime-coated bartender in Baldur's Gate that can't be saved?
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    I always thought that last surviving minotaur was maybe an Easter Egg put in by the devs as an inside joke to somebody's PnP party, either a dev's or a fan's.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    @gorgonzola I've saved him using CTRL-R once out of curiosity. He has no dialogue whatsoever. So he's definitely designed to die.
    gorgonzola
    ThacoBell wrote: »
    @gorgonzola I've saved him using CTRL-R once out of curiosity. He has no dialogue whatsoever. So he's definitely designed to die.
    thank you very much for doing it, i don't know why, maybe because i did try so much to save him at least once without cheats, maybe because i hate those nasty mushrooms, or for whatever other reason i feel love and affection for that poor minotaur, if is possible to have feelings towards a crpg toon.
    today i am a very early riser, it is 4:55 am, and you gave me something good and sweet to begin my day, to know that at least once he was saved makes me happy, silly as ti can seem... :)

ThacoBell
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    There's no need to cheat if you really want to see him. It's possible to kill his attackers without getting into sight of him (in fact you can even get into his sight at extreme range without triggering his scripted death) - then you can just leave with the satisfaction of a good job done. However, if you get too close to him he will have a heart attack and die.

There's the same sort of thing with the mage opening the door to the vampire HQ - he's easy enough to save, but doing so in that case is actually harmful as you miss out on his equipment (staff mace in particular).
    gorgonzolaJuliusBorisov
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    Anyone control-Q that minotaur into their party? Just curious if that does anything...
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Grond0 wrote: »
    There's no need to cheat if you really want to see him. It's possible to kill his attackers without getting into sight of him (in fact you can even get into his sight at extreme range without triggering his scripted death) - then you can just leave with the satisfaction of a good job done. However, if you get too close to him he will have a heart attack and die.

There's the same sort of thing with the mage opening the door to the vampire HQ - he's easy enough to save, but doing so in that case is actually harmful as you miss out on his equipment (staff mace in particular).

I don't think his death scripted, per se, so much as one of the myconids WILL hit him and kill him before you can otherwise do anything about it. With all the myconids dead, you can walk right up to him and he'll be fine. I don't know if that means he has AC penalties, or if that myconid has a special ability that goes off against minotaurs or what.
  • ShangerooShangeroo Member Posts: 84
    There are some (ancient) interviews with the BG2 design team bemoaning the content that they had to cut to get the game to market on-time, there was an absolutely MASSIVE amount of content cut just at the last minute and a lot of the seams from the chopped out bits don’t join up quite right.

It’s one of the greatest games ever made, so cutting all that content was probably the right thing to do, but I’d still love to play the game that they originally envisioned...

One suggestion/idea for the Guarded Compound if Beamdog has permission to modify it in a future update may be to make it a stronghold for a blackguard. Currently you can use the building to rest and store stuff. But it would be amusing to have a black guard operate in a building right next to the radiant heart.
    Greener
    as to do it the guarded compound battle has to be somehow tied to a blackguard stronghold quest i doubt that beamdog has permissions to do it as afaik they can not change the original content.
    i also doubt that beamdog is willing to add new content to the game, even the bug fixing seems to be on stand by as they can not anticipate when the next and probably last patch will be released.
    they have done a lot to make the game playable on modern computers, to improve it and to add new content, but is quite natural that now their priority is towards other projects.

but maybe some modder can use the idea in some of his projects.