Skip to content

Player name refused by the server

A friend just built a new PC and now he is unable to log in to my server. Since its a new PC he had to download a new copy NWNEE. I have also noticed that the server has been dead all weekend with less players than normal. A few hours ago I was just talking to someone that logged in from France and I am in Central US so I am not sure whats going on. My router settings, IP etc. are correct.

Has anyone else experienced this with their servers? If so what was the resolution?

Comments

• Carlo_OneCarlo_One Member Posts: 77
    If your friend is using the same exact player name with a different CD key and your server settings don't allow for it, that is likely the trouble.

If you don't want to change your server settings, and he wants to get access to a previous server vault character (rather than simply changing his player name and creating a new one), one manual fix is to create a server vault folder with his new player info - using either the player name or CD key, depending on what your server settings are - and then copy over the .bic file.
  • 4BOLTMAIN4BOLTMAIN Member Posts: 90
    He said he tried different names and still received the same message.

Where would I find this setting?

I looked through the TML file briefly but I did not see anything that specifically said 'One name per CD Key" or anything similar.
  • WilliamDracoWilliamDraco Member Posts: 175
    It's "Sticky"... I think "Sticky Player Names" or something similar.
  • GarenRunebladeGarenRuneblade Member Posts: 13
    I just purchased a new computer and while bringing all my favorite apps and programs onto my new rig, the same thing happened to me. I often play NWN EE mods by loading them onto NW Server and joining my own server as a LAN game. To fix this I had to load a mod through the regular menu, and post it to the internet in the settings, and fill in a log-in name and click on the make log-in name regular. using a temporary log-in name seems to be the culprit. Because before I couldn't even log onto my own server, now everything is back to normal. Beamdog said they were going to give us a more elegant way to change our log-in names, but they have yet to deliver on that.
  • 4BOLTMAIN4BOLTMAIN Member Posts: 90
    edited March 2020
    I apologize for the late response but I didnt see my buddy for a couple days. We got this figured out.

I shut down the server, set sticky-player-names = false, restarted the server and my friend was able to log in and still has access to all his characters.

Thanks for the help everyone.
  • JuliusBorisovJuliusBorisov Member, Administrator, Moderator, Developer Posts: 22,724
    I just purchased a new computer and while bringing all my favorite apps and programs onto my new rig, the same thing happened to me. I often play NWN EE mods by loading them onto NW Server and joining my own server as a LAN game. To fix this I had to load a mod through the regular menu, and post it to the internet in the settings, and fill in a log-in name and click on the make log-in name regular. using a temporary log-in name seems to be the culprit. Because before I couldn't even log onto my own server, now everything is back to normal. Beamdog said they were going to give us a more elegant way to change our log-in names, but they have yet to deliver on that.

This is already fixed in the Development Build and will come to the stable build.
  • mlkent22mlkent22 Member Posts: 41
    Players trying to log into my server are getting this same player name refused by server message. I have set the server computer to a static IP address on my router, and port forwarded the multiple UDP ports. I believe it has something to do with NWsync, as when trying to log in with an alternate computer, the refuse message pops up before the NWsync can download the files needed to play.