Skip to content

Mark the area that will be affected by a spell.

Ingwarr23Ingwarr23 Member Posts: 27
edited November 2013 in Feature Requests
Mark the area that will be affected by a spell.
It is very annoying to intuit where to cast a fireball spell to not hurt your allies.
Sorry for my bad english!
Post edited by Jalily on

Comments

• Ingwarr23Ingwarr23 Member Posts: 27
    Kore, even if you are very familiar with the game, it would be difficult to know the exact area that will be affected by a spell. (It isn't tactical)
    Am I right ?
  • KoreKore Member Posts: 245
    I can do it with decent accuracy most of the time, and allowing some margin for error without leaving too much of a margin is skill.... that said, maybe it could be implemented as an advanced option.
    If I am not wrong one of the goals is to attract new players. The lack of this option or if it is hidden would be a big problem. (My opinion)
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    We could add this option but I prefer know spells by myself by using them
    Seldar, for me is very hard to know where is the exact limit of a spell that effects a big place.
  • SeldarSeldar Member Posts: 438
    Yeah I understand that, but it's part of the game, you have to deal with it.
    Why do you think it's a part of the game.
    There so many spells and grenades that I don't think it is possible to know them all. Even with a lot of experimentation you will not acquire exact informations.
    I think it is not a part of the game , but it is a difficulty that exist because of technological lacks of that times.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    How about not allowing munchkin tactics such as launching fireballs off of the side of the screen?
    When I played for my first time BG 1 I did not use fireball spell because I was afraid to not kill my companions. I learnt a little how to use it in Icewind Dale. New players will be very confused.
    And again it is not tactical.
  • Space_hamsterSpace_hamster Member Posts: 950
    The real fun with fire ball is when you get enough fire resistance, then BBQ everyone around you :)
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    edited June 2012
    If you read this post before I edited it, you should know that it was full of rubbish:

I remembered how in Dragon Age: Origins, a game with similar combat (Real time strategy with Pause), I'd target my area of effect spells with milimetric precision - undermining the most important tactical aspect of the game, positioning conditioned by friendly fire.

Currently on Baldur's Gate I can't, and seriously doubt most people can, do the same thing. Strategically, one must/should position its party with some room for error while prioritizing more ranged confrontation. Sound like a very good way to deal with it to me.
  • BlackRazorBlackRazor Member Posts: 5
    Those circles are too WoW... I agree with seldar, looks quite dumb those circles of effect, just calculate it... Sure this is a game, but were you a mage and you would get no circles, you would trust your instinct.
    Also, food for thought; how would you calculate skull trap and glyph of warding? They spread out randomly. How would you track the path of a lightening bolt? Good luck with that.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    How would you track the path of a lightening bolt? Good luck with that.
    And this is why I don't use Lightning Bolts. Got tired of zapping my own party members.
  • AliteriAliteri Member Posts: 308
    How would you track the path of a lightening bolt? Good luck with that.
    And this is why I don't use Lightning Bolts. Got tired of zapping my own party members.
    Globe of Immunity + corridor + Lightning Bolt = happy player.

• technophobetechnophobe Member Posts: 68
    The AI is already gimped in using AoE spells. Unless they can code an entirely new mechanic where the AI can get targeting feedback from the overlay, all this will do is make player AoE spellcasting more imbalanced.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I say again, it's no different from playing D&D with a battlemap. The players each have to control a single character, and there's nothing that says the player has to make the decision quickly where to cast his fireball. The DM, on the other hand, has to be able to make those decisions quickly - partly because he doesn't want to slow things down for the players, but mostly because the players are supposed to be better than the NPCs.

The AI in Baldur's Gate is no different from a Dungeon Master looking at a battle mat. The only difference is that there are more of them, and they think faster. Letting the player have a slight leg-up isn't a problem to me, especially when it ultimately comes down to UI and functionality. To me, it's the same thing as the green/red/blue circles around the characters that tell you who's on your side and who's an enemy.
    There is not a real good and strong argument for not implementing this feature.
    I think it is important.
    edited June 2012
    While I can appreciate that some might want BG to be more true to AD&D I instead simply view BG as a game that uses the D&D ruleset through convenience. This might be heresy to some I know, but keeping it true to D&D doesn't matter to me as long as gameplay is compelling.

For me the AoE display would break immersion and as BlackRazor said, it would just feel too much like WoW and not like BG.
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    I don't see why it couldn't be an extra "notch" on the Feedback slider. It wouldn't break immersion for me any more than a red circle around my enemies - or a Pause button, for that matter.
    Kore, no offence, but what you said is not an argument , it is more like to stubbornness.
    This feature is a decent one.
    edited June 2012
    I'm not saying its not a valid argument, your opinions are just as valid as mine, but it doesn't bother me is what I meant.

@Aosaw, I'm fine with it being optional, as I said earlier in the thread.
  • TanthalasTanthalas Member Posts: 6,738
    There's no point in going back and forth with this.

Some people would like the feature (like me).

Others don't care for it.

If Overhaul chooses to implement something like this they'd probably make it optional, so both sides can be happy.
    Kore , I only meant that people have to bring some arguments related to what they speak about , not only to say : "it is bad" ; "it is not necessary"...
    I meant no offence to you.