Skip to content

Character Continuation between the games

FQVBSinaFQVBSina Member Posts: 39
I am a bit confused about how characters continue from BG 1: EE to SOD to BG 2: EE. I recruited many characters and immediately dismissed them. Most of them can be found in the Friendly Arms Inn again. Do they stay there for SOD as well? What about BG2?

More specifically, wiki says Viconia will be gone forever if dismissed or denied initial recruitment. But I can leave her there and recruit her later. If I don't recruit her at all in BG 1, would she appear in SOD? What about BG 2?

Thanks!

Comments

• FQVBSinaFQVBSina Member Posts: 39
    FQVBSina wrote: »
    I am a bit confused about how characters continue from BG 1: EE to SOD to BG 2: EE. I recruited many characters and immediately dismissed them. Most of them can be found in the Friendly Arms Inn again. Do they stay there for SOD as well? What about BG2?

More specifically, wiki says Viconia will be gone forever if dismissed or denied initial recruitment. But I can leave her there and recruit her later. If I don't recruit her at all in BG 1, would she appear in SOD? What about BG 2?

Thanks!

• sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    only some characters from bg1 will transfer over to SoD

if im not mistaken, i believe the exact team you had in BG1 ( the time you beat sarevok ) will join you in that beginning dungeon in SoD

then, after that, all your party members will leave

this also means that any characters that you had waiting at the friendly arm inn will not be joining you in SoD unless they are from the list below

the only characters from BG1 that are in SoD are;

minsc
    dynaheir
    khalid
    jaheira
    safana
    viconia
    edwin
    dorn
    rassad
    neera
    baeloth

if you used anybody else, they will not be playable after that first dungeon

any of those previous characters will keep what gear they had after that dungeon ( or what they were holding in bg1 ) but anyone else on the list will have their gear taken away and put into the chest ( in the SoD starting area in the duchal palace ) i would assume ?

also, if any of the above characters were killed in BG1, they will not show up in SoD

then when you import over to bg2, the characters from bg1 that are in bg2 are;

minsc
    jaheira
    viconia
    edwin
    imoen
    dorn
    rasaad
    neera

except this time they will not have the items they had from bg1, they will not have the stat boosts you gave them in BG1 ( if you gave any of them tomes )
    although minsc, jaheira, viconia and edwin all have minutely higher stats in BG2 than they did in BG1 aka; Minsc has +1 CON/DEX, Jaheira has +3 DEX, Viconia has +3 WIS, and Edwin has +1 STR/CHA

also, even if any of the above characters were killed in bg1, they will still show up in BG2
  • FQVBSinaFQVBSina Member Posts: 39
    sarevok57 wrote: »
    only some characters from bg1 will transfer over to SoD

if im not mistaken, i believe the exact team you had in BG1 ( the time you beat sarevok ) will join you in that beginning dungeon in SoD

then, after that, all your party members will leave

this also means that any characters that you had waiting at the friendly arm inn will not be joining you in SoD unless they are from the list below

the only characters from BG1 that are in SoD are;

minsc
    dynaheir
    khalid
    jaheira
    safana
    viconia
    edwin
    dorn
    rassad
    neera
    baeloth

if you used anybody else, they will not be playable after that first dungeon

any of those previous characters will keep what gear they had after that dungeon ( or what they were holding in bg1 ) but anyone else on the list will have their gear taken away and put into the chest ( in the SoD starting area in the duchal palace ) i would assume ?

also, if any of the above characters were killed in BG1, they will not show up in SoD

then when you import over to bg2, the characters from bg1 that are in bg2 are;

minsc
    jaheira
    viconia
    edwin
    imoen
    dorn
    rasaad
    neera

except this time they will not have the items they had from bg1, they will not have the stat boosts you gave them in BG1 ( if you gave any of them tomes )
    although minsc, jaheira, viconia and edwin all have minutely higher stats in BG2 than they did in BG1 aka; Minsc has +1 CON/DEX, Jaheira has +3 DEX, Viconia has +3 WIS, and Edwin has +1 STR/CHA

also, even if any of the above characters were killed in bg1, they will still show up in BG2

Not seeing Khalid on the BG 2 list is giving me some bad vibes... Any way...

Did I understand it correctly: My immediate party will show up in the first SOD dungeon and then they will all leave after. If they are on the list, I can find them again with the gears they have. If they are not on the list, their gears will be in a chest and the characters will be gone. And importing into BG 2 is essentially a reset but the PC do keep everything (boosts and gears) but the other characters won't. Instead they all get some sort of upgrade.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    From BG1 to BG2:

When importing from a save, you can choose any importable character from that party. Characters you created are importable by default, while companions picked up along the way aren't. A standard run, then, will have only the protagonist importable.
    The "Create Party" button allows you to create or import multiple characters. You could bring along two or three characters throughout the saga, or even collect an all-star team from multiple save files.

The imported characters will keep their level, XP, spells known and memorized, and any innate abilities they acquired. All gear, however, will be taken from them. Since many BG1 items don't exist in the BG2 files, this is the only fair way to handle things.
    Three or four BG1 items will appear in the starting dungeon; a weapon, an armor, an accessory, and possibly an Easter Egg item. The exact selection you find can be influenced by what the protagonist was holding when you imported, but you'll get stuff even if you make a character from scratch.

Companions you encounter during BG2, such as Jaheira, have no continuity with the versions you may have had in the previous game. You could take her with you to the end, bringing her experience to the cap and giving her all three wisdom tomes for a total of 17 - and then the version you recruit in BG2 would come with only 89K XP, only 14 Wis, but a Dex of 17. (She would then immediately gain experience from the trigger all companions get when they're recruited)
    FQVBSina wrote: »
    Not seeing Khalid on the BG 2 list is giving me some bad vibes...

Watch for falling plot. Dynaheir's not there either - and you'll find out why quite soon.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Nothing you do in BG1 affects who you can recruit in SoD or BG2, nor does anything you do in SoD affect who you can recruit in BG2.
  • ShangerooShangeroo Member Posts: 84
    I wish there was more customized connection between these games but unfortunately not. Even if you killed a character in BG1 they’ll still appear in SOD (there’s a conversation of option of “didn’t I kill you? But that’s it.) If you kill them again in SOD they’ll still be there again in BG2. Also romances don’t transition. You can have a romance with Neera in SOD and then she acts like she doesn’t recognize you when you first meet in BG2.
  • ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    jsaving wrote: »
    Nothing you do in BG1 affects who you can recruit in SoD or BG2, nor does anything you do in SoD affect who you can recruit in BG2.

There is ONE exception. If you killed Baeloth in BG1, the game remembers this and he will not appear in Siege of Dragonspear. Unfortunately, this means that M'Khiin will ALSO be unavailable for recruitment. (It is possible, however, to edit your save game with EEKeeper prior to entering the SoD map where both of them first appear and change the variable that states Baeloth is dead.)