Skip to content

Customized Weapon Related Feats (1.80)

From the 1.80 Patch Notes:
Customize weapons-related feats in baseitems.2da

Weapons-related feats (Focus, Epic Focus, Spec, Epic Spec, Improved Crit, Overwhelming Crit, Devastating Crit, Weapon of Choice) can now be customised on a per-baseitem case.

Please refer to baseitems.2da for the new columns: WeaponFocusFeat EpicWeaponFocusFeat WeaponSpecializationFeat EpicWeaponSpecializationFeat WeaponImprovedCriticalFeat EpicWeaponOverwhelmingCriticalFeat EpicWeaponDevastatingCriticalFeat WeaponOfChoiceFeat

Other than the above, there is no documentation for this. Can I assume that this is for adding the above feats to custom weapons (like CEP, etc)?

Comments

• FreshLemonBunFreshLemonBun Member Posts: 909
    There isn't documentation for pretty much anything. Just assume it works like you said and test it. I'm assuming that's how it works too, you point to custom feat rows in the column and the engine applies the bonus.
  • WilliamDracoWilliamDraco Member Posts: 175
    Yes that is exactly how it works (Although you don't have to point it to a custom feat. Could just point everything to one feat if you wanted to)
    JuliusBorisov
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    Old_Gith wrote: »
    From the 1.80 Patch Notes:
    Customize weapons-related feats in baseitems.2da

Weapons-related feats (Focus, Epic Focus, Spec, Epic Spec, Improved Crit, Overwhelming Crit, Devastating Crit, Weapon of Choice) can now be customised on a per-baseitem case.

Please refer to baseitems.2da for the new columns: WeaponFocusFeat EpicWeaponFocusFeat WeaponSpecializationFeat EpicWeaponSpecializationFeat WeaponImprovedCriticalFeat EpicWeaponOverwhelmingCriticalFeat EpicWeaponDevastatingCriticalFeat WeaponOfChoiceFeat

Other than the above, there is no documentation for this. Can I assume that this is for adding the above feats to custom weapons (like CEP, etc)?

This will allow us to add all the basic weapons that were missing like great club etc.. and even custom weapons like say lasers with weapon focus other feats etc... and multiples if you want different size of the same base item. I will be adding many to my base wither I make it compatible with cep model asset is another thing.
    JuliusBorisov
  • Old_GithOld_Gith Member Posts: 152
    Thank you, gentle folk. It's been awhile, but is this under the baseitem.2da I take it. Which is where exactly? I see a base_2da.bif in the "data" folder. What program is used to open a bif?
    Nwn Explorer let you extract game resources and .2da in Tools & Plugin Developers section.
    LINK
    JuliusBorisov
    ShadowM wrote: »
    Nwn Explorer let you extract game resources and .2da in Tools & Plugin Developers section.
    LINK
    Ah, yes. I already had that and forgot I had it. Time having its way with me. But here's a question. All of the 2da's (500+) have been renamed to "res_xxx". Is there a translator or something to understand this new naming convention? I'm not sure why they had to change the naming convention, but whatever. It seems counterproductive to allow for these new options and yet not explain how or why these changes were made. Is this more Arelith catering or am I missing the obvious? See below. I assume it's res10.2da.

wxbg0dxajlkp.png

• ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,269
    Try the new NWNExplorer (see Tools forum). The files have the old names if you unpack the .bifs correctly.
    JuliusBorisovƝ????Ʀ????
    Thanks, Proleric, but I am using the new NWNExplorer. Is there one newer than 182? I can open the bif file and see all the 2das, but the naming convention has changed. And how does one "unpack" the bif? Through the NWNExplorer?
    Disregard. I think I found out how. One has to "plug-in" the pathway into the Explorer in the Settings/Options menu and "point" it to your base NWN install folder (785 for me).

Once you do that, when you open Explorer it is able to interpret all of the data.
    Ɲ????Ʀ????
    edited March 2020
    So a follow-up question. In looking at these new tables in the baseitems.2da, current base weapons have a number attached to each column. For instance, the shortsword has the number "103" under WeaponFocusFeat, and a different number for all of the other weapon feats. And the same is true for other weapons, albeit they all have different numbers. For the life of me I can't figure what these numbers point to. I thought at first they pointed to the identifier in the feats.2da, but those aren't even close, nor is it a tlk reference. Anyone have any ideas?

So a follow-up question. In looking at these new tables in the baseitems.2da, current base weapons have a number attached to each column. For instance, the shortsword has the number "103" under WeaponFocusFeat, and a different number for all of the other weapon feats. And the same is true for other weapons, albeit they all have different numbers. For the life of me I can't figure what these numbers point to. I thought at first they pointed to the identifier in the feats.2da, but those aren't even close, nor is it a tlk reference. Anyone have any ideas?

They point to the row in the feat.2da I doing my update to my base right now. All the numbers look right to me. Row 103 is weapon focus for short sword.
    Thanks, ShadowM. I must have been looking under the wrong column for the feat.2da. So if I understand this correctly, to add feats for custom feats, I would need to add new entries to the feats.2da and point the baseitems.2da columns to these new feats?
    Yep, So for example great club would need 8 new feats in the feat.2da and then add a row in the baseitem.2da (or update a row like for cep to point to the new feats) and have columns point to the rows of the new feats.
    Old_GithƝ????Ʀ????
    So not that complicated. Just tedious. Thank you my good man for your prompt response.
    Well, it became even more painstaking. When opening the baseitems.2da through NWExplorer, I export it so I may edit it. Every time I export it and open it up, it crunches the new columns and makes them overlap existing columns. However, in the view in NWExplorer all appears normal. But one can't edit within the explorer, so does anyone have any insights on how to traverse this? Here's a screenshot to show you what I mean:

2phd6kr7icch.png

As you can see, that becomes a nightmare to edit.
  • KamirynKamiryn Member Posts: 74
    In notepad you have to disable linebreak.
    Thanks, Kamiryn, for the help. There is no setting for Line Break that I can see in Notepad. It's not in page setup, and there is no Option setting. All of my older 2da's display correctly so this one is baffling me.
    edited March 2020
    Might be called word wrap:
    hqdefault.jpg
    Make sure it's disabled.

Also it seems you've added *.txt extension to baseitems.2da (or you've used 'export text' instead of 'export' in NWNexplorer) . Make sure to remove that extension if you want NWN to use the file.
    Ɲ????Ʀ????
    None of that mattered. Word Wrap, when turned on, makes it even worse. So no, that's not even the issue. And it also doesn't make a difference how I export it. I've done it a dozen different ways, from both 2da and txt. Both end in the same result. Very frustrated that these simple little things have changed so fundamentally.

I appreciate your time.

I'm going to have to resort to plan B.
    edited March 2020
    You can use tlkedit or Notepad++ or after you turn off word wrap restart you computer and try again with notepad, I had a similar problem and that fixed it.
    *After more testing it the way the new explorer is exporting I think, after importing into the other programs and then out again it fine.
    Ɲ????Ʀ????
    Okay, I know what the problem ist (never used notepad to edit 2da files): notepad requires carriage return + linefeed (CRLF, 0x0D0A) to indicate a new line while nwnexplorer only writes a linefeed (LF, 0x0A). So for notepad the whole file is just a single line of text.

So either avoid notepad or use another editor to convert LF to CRLF first ( i guess all editors but notepad can do that).
    Thank you to everyone involved. I began using one of the many available 2da editors and it has greatly simplified everything. I would also like to thank @Beamdog and crew for finally actualizing this long dream I had of allowing us to add and create our own weapon feats. These are the kind of changes I've been looking for -- not wholesale changes across the board, but those that allow each module maker and PW Dev to tailor for their own sandbox. This is and always will be a core strength of the game. I have now gone on to make all weapon feats for CEP weapons and everything appears to be working beautifully. My hats off.

I do have one question though: what about Weapon Finesse? Is there a flag or 2da column that can be added on whether a weapon can be finessed? Or is that still hardcoded?
    Ɲ????Ʀ????
    edited April 2020
    Thank you to everyone involved. I began using one of the many available 2da editors and it has greatly simplified everything. I would also like to thank @Beamdog and crew for finally actualizing this long dream I had of allowing us to add and create our own weapon feats. These are the kind of changes I've been looking for -- not wholesale changes across the board, but those that allow each module maker and PW Dev to tailor for their own sandbox. This is and always will be a core strength of the game. I have now gone on to make all weapon feats for CEP weapons and everything appears to be working beautifully. My hats off.

I do have one question though: what about Weapon Finesse? Is there a flag or 2da column that can be added on whether a weapon can be finessed? Or is that still hardcoded?

Yes, adding finesse and monk weapon columns would be nice. (I wish they unlock the ac for the tower shield too, show up in toolset but not on the pc this is when it set to 4 for 3.5 rules) maybe it works need to test it.
    Ɲ????Ʀ????