Skip to content

Would it make sense tor a Wizard Slayer to aid Neera?

NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
From a role-playing standpoint would it make sense for a wizard slayer to help Neera? On one hand they detest magic and find it revolting but on the other there's incentive to join Neera if only to hunt Thayan Wizards and put an end to their machinations. Thoughts?

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    Depends on how you roleplay. Is your wizard slayer a hater of all magic? Or are they focused on eliminating mages who abuse their powers? I can see the latter being reasonable for a good aligned or neutral slayer.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    In Pen and Paper the Wizard Slayers are an almost Paladin-like tradition among tribal cultures dedicated to rooting out evil wizards. There are alignment restrictions. If you willingly allow a beneficial spell to be cast on you, you lose all your wizard slayer powers for 24 hours, similar to a Fallen Paladin. It's a whole thing.

In Baldur's Gate the wizard slayer seems to be separate from that tradition. You've clearly learned some of the skills and abilities of a wizard slayer, but you're not associated with any tribe, and you're pretty free to pursue any path of good and evil as you choose.

Because of this, there's very little actual lore on what a wizard slayer actually is in Baldur's Gate, or why they do any of what they do. A general hatred of magic would be a valid direction to take the character in but there are a variety of reasons one might choose to learn the wizard slayer's art, and traditional wizard slayers always did have a certain acceptance for some magic practitioners. They don't actually just hunt any and all wizards indiscriminately.
  • NoloirNoloir Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 380
    Chronicler wrote: »
    In Pen and Paper the Wizard Slayers are an almost Paladin-like tradition among tribal cultures dedicated to rooting out evil wizards. There are alignment restrictions. If you willingly allow a beneficial spell to be cast on you, you lose all your wizard slayer powers for 24 hours, similar to a Fallen Paladin. It's a whole thing.

In Baldur's Gate the wizard slayer seems to be separate from that tradition. You've clearly learned some of the skills and abilities of a wizard slayer, but you're not associated with any tribe, and you're pretty free to pursue any path of good and evil as you choose.

Because of this, there's very little actual lore on what a wizard slayer actually is in Baldur's Gate, or why they do any of what they do. A general hatred of magic would be a valid direction to take the character in but there are a variety of reasons one might choose to learn the wizard slayer's art, and traditional wizard slayers always did have a certain acceptance for some magic practitioners. They don't actually just hunt any and all wizards indiscriminately.

Is the description provided here an accurate representation? https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Wizard_slayer

ThacoBell wrote: »
    Depends on how you roleplay. Is your wizard slayer a hater of all magic? Or are they focused on eliminating mages who abuse their powers? I can see the latter being reasonable for a good aligned or neutral slayer.

The hater of all magic is a bit too extreme. Though I can see how that could work for an Evil character it'd be difficult to reconcile the constant encounters with Elminster and use of necessary shops like Sorceror Sundries & Thalantyr's store without trying to slay the all in an aggravated frenzy. This might lead to complications.

The mages who abuse their power's angle seems way more reasonable since Thayan Wizards are constant enemies. The caveat is that Neera is a Wild Mage instead of a regular one. In her surges she might injure the party severely giving my <charname> Wizard Slayer reason to resent her and all arcane users in general for their misguided use of magics.
  • ChroniclerChronicler Member Posts: 1,391
    Noloir wrote: »
    Chronicler wrote: »

Is the description provided here an accurate representation? https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Wizard_slayer

This article seems to pull most of its information from The Complete Barbarian's Handbook. So let's get it straight from the source.

2g1637lw1c06.png
    0n1sdranwuld.png
    7nn6sh28pgrr.png
    @Chronicler Wow, it's an incredibly obsessive character class. It's seems like it's potential is untapped though noting it's abilities to cast protection from evil, use "spirit arrows", and gain additional experience for slaying evil aligned wizards. The +1 Resist magic bonus every few levels seem really uninspired now.

This solves the question. They're willing to work with non-evil mages but with extreme reluctance to the point of barely interacting with them within the party. It's also interesting to note they have a wariness of all forms of casting extending to the priest class as well and they have a natural ability to detect illusion.

To me this implies that they're meant to be dual-classed into thieves if at all. Thanks alot, it eally clears alot up about this underpowered class. I wonder what the effects of "spirit arrow" are that they can somehow be replicated and modded using NI.
  • RangeltoftRangeltoft Member Posts: 83
    Would it be possible to add the Wizard Slayers bonuses/restrictions to the Barbarian class via EEkeeper? Would make it alot more fun to play with
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    edited March 2020
    Rangeltoft wrote: »
    Would it be possible to add the Wizard Slayers bonuses/restrictions to the Barbarian class via EEkeeper? Would make it alot more fun to play with
    For the kit as implemented in the BG series:
    You can add the MR and enemy spell failure chance in the effects tab. (Add effects from kit, level A to B ) Since you gain MR at every level, you would have to update this every time you level up.
    The equipment use restrictions, however, are controlled by what kit you have. You can't add those in EEKeeper, so you're on the honor system.

Now, if you wanted to create a fighter kit that combined the barbarian and the wizard slayer, that would be a pretty easy modding exercise.
    jmerry wrote: »
    You can add the MR and enemy spell failure chance in the effects tab. (Add effects from kit, level A to B ) Since you gain MR at every level, you would have to update this every time you level up.
    The equipment use restrictions, however, are controlled by what kit you have. You can't add those in EEKeeper, so you're on the honor system.

Now, if you wanted to create a fighter kit that combined the barbarian and the wizard slayer, that would be a pretty easy modding exercise.

Will have to look into adding those effects, think i managed to do it some time ago, but cant be sure.
    As for modding a fighterkit, would love to learn how to do it, but don’t have the time to spend on it.
    edited March 2020
    jmerry wrote: »

Will have to look into adding those effects, think i managed to do it some time ago, but cant be sure.
    As for modding a fighterkit, would love to learn how to do it, but don’t have the time to spend on it.

A lazy but efficient way to blend them would be to take the base Wizard Slayer class and add the barbarian rage and the Op Code restrictions for Barbarian to Wizard Slayer and leave it at that. Could give WzSlyr immunity to backstab, increased movement rates and 5% resistances to physical dmg from level 1 so you don't have to continually edit but I'd recommend playingv a difficulty level higher than core for this. At insane difficulty alot of "tweaks" are justifiable since every enemy attack does double damage. At least in my opinion.
    Noloir wrote: »

A lazy but efficient way to blend them would be to take the base Wizard Slayer class and add the barbarian rage and the Op Code restrictions for Barbarian to Wizard Slayer and leave it at that. Could give WzSlyr immunity to backstab, increased movement rates and 5% resistances to physical dmg from level 1 so you don't have to continually edit but I'd recommend playingv a difficulty level higher than core for this. At insane difficulty alot of "tweaks" are justifiable since every enemy attack does double damage. At least in my opinion.

My games tends to be rather modded anyways these days and i don’t see a barbarian with wizard slayer ”addons” making that much differens. Have always felt that Wizard Slayer should had been a barbarian kit from the start. But enough derailing of the thread from me :) Will look into these suggestions and see what i can make of it