Skip to content

[TOOLS] NWN Explorer 1.8

[Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
edited August 2019 in Tools & Plugin Developers
You have to put the .exe file in the \Data folder with nwn_base.key and dialog.tlk. It opens fine from there and reads all the files, but it doesn't read the \Neverwinter Nights folders in MyDocuments.

I'm not sure if the next update will remove it from the \Data folder

Comments

• virusmanvirusman Member, Developer Posts: 173
    NWN Explorer 1.8.1 with fixes for this:
    https://github.com/virusman/nwnexplorer/releases/tag/1.8.1
    GusindaJFKdunahananastiel
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited August 2019
    Thank-you so much! Works perfectly so far. Note, you need the fmod.dll to play WAVE files in NWNExplorer.
  • @virusman Looks like the new update broke NWN Explorer v1.8.1 - can't find dialog.tlk or chitin.key. I tried pointing it to the /lang folder where they moved dialog.tlk, but it still can't find the resources.
    Pstemarie wrote: »
    @virusman Looks like the new update broke NWN Explorer v1.8.1 - can't find dialog.tlk or chitin.key. I tried pointing it to the /lang folder where they moved dialog.tlk, but it still can't find the resources.
    @Pstemarie Thanks! I'll take a look at this when I have some time.
    [Deleted User]
  • T0R0T0R0 Member Posts: 86
    For now, you can just open navigating to the nwn_base key in the data folder. You just have to do it every time.. credit goes to @zordren3742
  • Thanks @virusman for the quick update.

For Steam Users having issues getting it to find your NWN files:

Under File>Options, check the box next to "Look for NWN in the following directory" and set the path to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Neverwinter Nights\"

1n76fqksyozs.jpg
    TarotRedhandNeverwinterWightszordren3742ShadowM
  • ShadowMShadowM Member Posts: 573
    edited March 2020
    Some more information, if you looking for the latest .2da folder it is under data\base_2da.bif / Game Data
    The ruleset.2da for the latest patch seem did not make the update to the explorer and the latest version is in ovr of the install. It just one line more (ALLOW_CUSTOM_PORTRAITS (in chargen) one. Thank for the update to Explorer. :smile:
    Post edited by ShadowM on
  • GrymlordeGrymlorde Member Posts: 121
    I've got my directory pointed to \Beamdog Library\00785\ but the only way I can access the 1.80 2das is to directly open base_2da, which displays resNNN.2das. If I open Main, SoU, or HotU data I still get the 1.69 2das, properly named.

What do I have to do to open the 1.80 2das with the user friendly names?
    edited March 2020
    @virusman
    Grymlorde wrote: »
    I've got my directory pointed to \Beamdog Library\00785\ but the only way I can access the 1.80 2das is to directly open base_2da, which displays resNNN.2das. If I open Main, SoU, or HotU data I still get the 1.69 2das, properly named.

What do I have to do to open the 1.80 2das with the user friendly names?

Also
    Explorer not formatting .2da to work with notepad (not in columns). Works in all other programs like tlkeit, notepad++ but a lot of people I guess are still using just notepad for editing.
  • TarotRedhandTarotRedhand Member Posts: 1,481
    For now they could always use the pair of small programs I wrote to format their 2da files until (if?) this gets fixed. They are part of the Fix and Tidy 2da Files package which also includes a user manual.

TR
    ShadowM
    If you're descibing NWN Explorer issues, could you please attach the screenshot of what you're talking about? I just checked with the latest version of NWN:EE, and I could see all 2das in NWN Main Data -> base_2da.bif. I checked a few random 2das, and they were formatted properly. Please spend a little bit of time when you write bug reports.
    edited March 2020
    Okay, this is *really* weird. When I first posted 5 days ago, NWN Explorer was displaying a 1.69 directory tree. But now, after having accessed the EE base_2da multiple times, the directory tree is now EE. So consider my bug filed under "weird but fixed for now."

What @ShadowM is referring to is that most of the 2das now have UNIX carriage returns which do not display properly in Windows Notepad (but display correctly in WinMerge & Notepad++). This is not the fault of NWN Explorer I suspect, but rather of the BD developers. If there is a way to export the text with Windows carriage returns, it would be greatly appreciated by a lot of users.
    @Grymlorde
    Please test some other .2da
    I found that only the new patch .2da are not formatting (like baseitems.2da, classes.2da, racialtypes.2da) other .2da are exporting formatted.
    @ShadowM, Okay here's what I've found so far:

Formatted for Windows: all the set files, pregen.2da, chargenclothes.2da, iprp_visualfx.2da, genericdoors.2da, doortypes.2da, portraits.2da, and packages.2da.

Formatted for UNIX: baseitems.2da, classes.2da, keymap.2da, cls_stat_palema.2da, cls_stat_dradis, racialtypes.2da, and ruleset.2da
  • KamirynKamiryn Member Posts: 74
    edited March 2020
    Whenever I try to open a resource that's not in a container (e.g. NWN Install Overrides, NWN Install Ambient Sounds, various Vault folders, NWN Overrides, NWN Music) I get the following error message:

pphtdyt9vacz.png

The same file if inside a container (e.g. bif/hak/erf/module) loads fine.

Also NWN Explorer does not show the development folder.

And a (very) minor thing: the about box still says NWN Explorer 1.81 ;)
    edited March 2020
    @Kamiryn Thank you for the report! Here is the update with fixes.
    NWN Explorer 1.8.3
    https://github.com/virusman/nwnexplorer/releases/tag/1.8.3
    ShadowMKamiryn