Skip to content

XP CAP

Hi everyone.

So after long 10 years or so I decided to replay BG2 again since the whole world is now in quarantine. Regular SoA didn't work so I bought the EE on Steam. I soloed my Sorcerer through whole SoA and am now in ToB. I hit level 30 and I can't seem to level up anymore. I remember that in the vanilla BG2 I could solo up to level 40.

IIRC Weidu had some XP cap removers available. Is there any way to remove the CAP in the EE version?

Any help would be appreciated!

Comments

• ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    IIRC the exp cap is measure in actual quantity of exp, not levels. So certain classes that require more exp wouldn't hit as high a level. So bards and thieves would hit 40, but not any multiclasses or possibly mages.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Yes you are right, sorcerers were always capped at 31 and still are.
    ThacoBell
  • ShangerooShangeroo Member Posts: 84
    Do raw levels beyond lvl 20 actual factor into Dispel Magic? I thought all spells were capped at 20.
    iosfrustration
  • Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    edited March 2020
    Nearly all are - dispel/remove magic is an exception.
    iosfrustrationThacoBell
  • CamDawgCamDawg Member, Developer Posts: 3,438
    The level 20 cap applies to a spell's effects, but they will still count (in terms of the dispel mechanics) as being cast by the level of the caster. IOW Protection from Evil (duration two rounds/level) will last 40 rounds if it's cast by a level 20 or level 40 mage. However, the latter will be much, much harder to dispel.
    Grond0gorgonzolaStummvonBordwehr
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    the main difference between the original version and EE playing with a cap remover is imo the way the triple class toons behave.
    in the original having enough xp they could cast lev 9 spells and get the high level spells that you get only as hla, like improved alacrity.
    in EE they don't have the chance to select those spells when they pick hla, so a triple class will be a mage with some lev 9 spells, but lacking of very important ones compared to a single-2class multi or triple not EE toon.

for a sorcerer i agree that there is not much difference as well for many single class playing with or without cap remover, where i see the real difference is in the 2 classes multi, a something/mage at 8Mxp has only 2 lev 9 slots, with the only exception of the gnomes that get 3, without the cap a multi can become, if he farms enough xp, a mage as good as a single class.

by the way is there a mod that enables again the missing mage's hla for EE triple classes?
    even if at present i am not using any more cap removers i think that if it does not exist it should be created by someone, and probably it is a very easy mod to implement.
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    the main difference between the original version and EE playing with a cap remover is imo the way the triple class toons behave.
    in the original having enough xp they could cast lev 9 spells and get the high level spells that you get only as hla, like improved alacrity.

Err, no.

Triple-classes in oBG2 never had access to any mage HLAs because FMTs used the FT table, and FMCs used the FC table. Fixpack--and BG2EE--create unique tables for them that adds the "Extra level 6/7/8 spell" HLAs, but not the level ten spell HLAs. This is because, at the level cap, they only have access to level 8 spells max.
    gorgonzolaThacoBell
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    @CamDawg i am quite sure that i had some fmt with improved alacrity in the past, but it maybe was for some other mod that i installed, possibly ease of use.
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    @CamDawg i am quite sure that i had some fmt with improved alacrity in the past, but it maybe was for some other mod that i installed, possibly ease of use.

It must have been a mod:
    In the unmodified game, fighter-mage-thieves and fighter-mage-clerics do not have access to mage HLAs; they use the default fighter-thief and fighter-cleric tables respectively in a patched game. Both are assigned unique HLA tables that include the 'Extra Level 6 Spell', 'Extra Level 7 Spell', and 'Extra Level 8 Spell' mage HLAs. Please note that they retain full access to all of the HLAs they had previously. (luabbr.2da, lufmc.2da, lufmt.2da)
  • masteralephmasteraleph Member Posts: 270
    I think Tweaks Anthology does that.