Skip to content

Role-playing a DMM

I want to try playing a female DMM. I see her as growing in Candlekeep and having deep inside her a pain to be an orphan, and a growing hatred towardsthe so-called "good people". Then she discovers Shar in a book of the library. Later, she meets a secret DMM who came to look for sacred books in the Library posing as a scholar, and she decides with his help to secretly embrace this faith.
The DMM felt in her the grief, the pain, and the evil that lurked in her.
I want to play her as a real Shar agent, she wants to serve her deity (hence her Lawful character). Her second Lawful aspect is her friendship to Imoen.
A couple of questions (with spoilers) for those who have already played DMM

I read that a lot of interesting monk specifi items can be gained doing Rasaad's quest - but this quest does imply fighting or destroying Sharran agents ? Is it justifiable from a RP point of view ?

I have never done the quest (just read a bit about it) but could it be that Shar would want to control a bit Algoroth who became too much powerful ?

Could she have a romance ? Manipulating Rasaad for example ? Or Amonen ? Or Hexxat ?

Comments

• ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    What is a DMM?
    BlackbɨrdAcifer
  • RigelRigel Member Posts: 251
    Dark Moon Monk :#
    Acifer
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    Sounds Edgy
    edited March 2020
    Ohhh. Haha, for some reason I thought of "Drow Matron Mother". XD

As to your questions...
    Alorgoth himself views the Sharran monks who join the Two-Fold Path as weaklings of little faith, and thinks that he is serving Shar by weeding out those who are not strong enough in their beliefs. In turn, I believe you can actually convince Viconia that by battling Alorgorth she is acting as Shar's agent testing him to see if he is truly favoured by Shar. After all, Viconia continues to receive her spells even while going against Alorgoth, so perhaps Shar is testing them both to see who will be worthy of becoming her greatest champion.

As such, I see no reason why your own DMM could believe likewise and move against Alorgoth's goals. If he is truly blessed by Shar, then surely she would not let his schemes fail, yessss?

I believe you can indeed "corrupt" Rasaad (to a point) as a DMM, by telling him that the Two-Fold Path philosophy has some good points. You might even wish to join him on that path; two epic-level monks ruling the order, one former Sun Soul monk, and one former Dark Moon monk. Seems kinda fitting. ;)
    JuliusBorisovRigelAcifer
    @Zaxares Thanks a lot for your "lights" >:)
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Do you specifically want Rasaad and his quests in your party?
    @DJKajuru I do not really know to be honest, this is the first time that I intend to play a monk, and since I do not play often evil characters, I though to kill two birds with one stone and play a "Drow Matron Mother " ;)@Zaxares
    I read a bit and I saw that a lot of monk specific items are obtained during his quest, particularly
    Sharran orientated objects

but from an RP point of view, I am not sure, even if I like the proposition of @Zaxares
  • SatrhanSatrhan Member Posts: 75
    Zaxares wrote: »
    Ohhh. Haha, for some reason I thought of "Drow Matron Mother". XD

As to your questions...
    Alorgoth himself views the Sharran monks who join the Two-Fold Path as weaklings of little faith, and thinks that he is serving Shar by weeding out those who are not strong enough in their beliefs. In turn, I believe you can actually convince Viconia that by battling Alorgorth she is acting as Shar's agent testing him to see if he is truly favoured by Shar. After all, Viconia continues to receive her spells even while going against Alorgoth, so perhaps Shar is testing them both to see who will be worthy of becoming her greatest champion.

As such, I see no reason why your own DMM could believe likewise and move against Alorgoth's goals. If he is truly blessed by Shar, then surely she would not let his schemes fail, yessss?

I believe you can indeed "corrupt" Rasaad (to a point) as a DMM, by telling him that the Two-Fold Path philosophy has some good points. You might even wish to join him on that path; two epic-level monks ruling the order, one former Sun Soul monk, and one former Dark Moon monk. Seems kinda fitting. ;)

Are you sure Viconia sticks around? I thought she would leave during the final part of Rasaad's quest in ToB.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    Because, even though Rasaad's quests do offer cool items, monks can make use of several items in the game, specially fighter-only potions. The idea of romancing him for some extra flavour is tempting but I dunno if you'd really get what you're looking for.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    The SoA portion of Rasaad's questline feels OK for an orthodox Shar-worshipping Dark Moon monk; the Twofold is just as much a heresy against Shar as it is against Selune. The final battle against Sharran invaders is more of an issue, though - would you put yourself at risk to protect these heretics from your own goddess' agents?

The BG1 and ToB parts ... not so much. In BG1, Rasaad's quest foes are Dark Moon monks and their allies, with the quest taking you to a hidden Dark Moon temple to fight them all. I don't see any way an honestly roleplayed DMM would go along with that. In ToB, the quest takes you to rescue a dwarven stronghold from followers of Shar, culminating in going up against Alorgoth's apocalyptic plot. You'd have to stretch the internal conflict there pretty far to justify that.

Of the various items you get out of the quests, only four feel like they're specifically meant for monks. BG1 has the Glimmering Bands, which only Rasaad can use. SoA has the Gauntlets of Aln Zekk - bonus fist damage, but not as good as the Gauntlets of Crushing. ToB has the Night Walkers and the Headband of the Devout - the former is a pair of boots that boosts movement speed in a way monks can actually use, and the latter is probably the best hat for a warrior that can't wear a helmet. They're nice, but you can certainly live without them.
    Rigel
    @jmerry Thank you very much
    I won't do these quests with my monk, it would be a bit too difficult to justify this from an RP point of view. Morever, I have Viconia with me and I guess she would not be tht hppy to slay Sharrans...
    jmerry wrote: »
    In ToB, the quest takes you to rescue a dwarven stronghold from followers of Shar, culminating in going up against Alorgoth's apocalyptic plot. You'd have to stretch the internal conflict there pretty far to justify that.

But does Viconia go along with it, if you press the issue?

She will accompany you, yes. Curiously, she seems to have less objections about that quest than the previous one in SoA. (Perhaps it's because by that point you're already pushing the boundaries of achieving godhood yourself and so either she's certain that Shar wishes her to be at your side no matter what OR she plans to hitch her wagon to yours once you achieve godhood and become your first priestess.) I believe there is only one break point in the entire quest-line where Viconia will leave and join the Sharrans; it comes at the end of the Two-Fold quest-line in SoA where Alorgoth finally reveals his deception. However, if you pick the dialogue option that leads to combat straightaway, Viconia never gets a chance to voice her objection and she stays in the party. ;)
    Satrhan
    Good to know, thanks!