Skip to content

Help dual-classing with EEKEEPER

danieldbadanieldba Member Posts: 4
edited March 2020 in BG:EE Mods
(original discussion deleted for some reason)
Hi all,
I had planned a Fighter/Assassin playthrough, and only reaching level 7 and trying to dual class I realized that I could not choose a kit.
Then I found the EEKEEPER mod in this same forum, which apparently is able to fix my problem.

However, I also read here that applying kits is not so simple, and at least in older versions also had issues regarding level progression, such as the thief points per level and backstab multiplier being wrong.

I want to ask wether the current version, which I have, still have these issue, and if so, how can I dual class into Assassin and get the correct features (poison weapon, bonus THAC0 and dmg, backstab etc.).

Comments

• jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    I've run a Fighter-Assassin dual-class with no gameplay problems.

For best results:
    - Start with an unkitted version of the first base class.
    - Make sure you satisfy all requirements for the base dual class, such as stats and alignment (in this case, 15+ Str, 17+ Dex, human, not lawful good).
    - Edit the save, setting your character's kit to the new class's kit with EEKeeper. You're still a single-class character at this point, with a kit that has no effects because it belongs to the wrong class.
    - Dual-class in the game, and play from there.

The way the assassin's backstab multiplier is handled does confuse the game some; you'll see the backstab multiplier allegedly decrease on the level-up information screen at high levels. However, once you're off that screen, you'll have correct stab multipliers in actual play. This is a much better result than other kits that mess with backstabs.
    If you set the kit after dual-classing, then you'll have to apply all the effects for the levels you already have in EEKeeper, and adjust skill points for the difference between your kit and a generic thief. It's doable, but it's a lot more convenient to set the kit first and handle that stuff automatically.

There are kits that don't work properly when dualed into. A dual-class into Swashbuckler doesn't get the ability to specialize in weapons, but also doesn't lose it's backstab ability. A dual-class into Shadowdancer gets 40 skill points at level 1 instead of 30, and doesn't get its backstab penalized. Among kits for other classes, dual-classing into mage kits doesn't get you the bonus spell slots, kits that change weapon proficiency limits (Archer, Barbarian, Dwarven Defender) lose those effects, and Stalkers don't get to backstab.
  • danieldbadanieldba Member Posts: 4
    Thank you, I do fullfill all the requirements, and simply do not understand why you can't dual class into a kit, given that you can in the pnp version as far as I know, and even in BG vanilla you can start as a kitted class and dual to a simple one (one of my playthroughs).
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    The rules as implemented in the game aren't quite the same as in PnP. I'm not sure why they didn't implement this particular one.

On the other hand, there are ways to mod that capability in. In particular, you could try this.