Skip to content

Blast from the past

Year 1999.
It all begins with that friend of mine, the newspaper vendor's son. The RPG-guru of the block, with a ton of D&D manuals, an overwhelming collection of fantasy novels (while I only know LOTR), maybe 50+ gamebooks (while I just have the first Lone Wolf and other two or three of other topics), etc. Even in his postcards he writes as he's DMing.
One day he lends me a... "six-pack".
I start the adventure. It's awesome! But after some time I have to give it back to him, and my parents don't allow me the budget because I'm... too old for video games.
So bye bye Baldur's Gate.

Fast-forward twenty years.

I almost forgot computer games in general and the old days of RPGs- but I'm an avid reader of Order of the Stick.
My 10 years old son is starting to like video games, so I discover GOG and invest some money to teach him some... "history", starting with some good old Lucasfilm games. (and may to "atone" for the happy-go-lucky piracy of my younger years).
I wake up one day and decide it's about time to... start finishing that Baldur's Gate adventure!
Possibly with the same companions that I happened to recruit 20 years ago. Now I know that it's called the "canon party" - of course I did not know then.

Noob then, noob now. I played PnP RPGs a few times (with the guy above, of course) and some old video games such as EOB2 - but I'm still a noob.
I registered here to ask some questions ... and I'll to it on the BG EE page ...
spacejawsJuliusBorisovronaldoCalmarXorinaArcalian

Comments

• ber5nie5ber5nie5 Member Posts: 424
    Welcome to the forum!

Hope you and your son have many adventures to share together! :)
    VanFanel
  • spacejawsspacejaws Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 389
    edited March 2020
    Sounds like an adventure you have on your hands old chum :smile: enjoy! If you both power through it now you might be done with the saga in time for BG3 release!
    VanFanel
  • VanFanelVanFanel Member Posts: 9
    ber5nie5 wrote: »
    Welcome to the forum!

Hope you and your son have many adventures to share together! :)

Thank you!
  • VanFanelVanFanel Member Posts: 9
    spacejaws wrote: »
    Sounds like an adventure you have on your hands old chum :smile: enjoy! If you both power through it now you might be done with the saga in time for BG3 release!

LOL who knows?
    I just hope I don't have to wait other 20 years :D
    (BTW, I know that sometimes my father plays video games NOW... but please don't tell anybody :wink: )
    spacejaws
  • Simon_Belmont_1476Simon_Belmont_1476 Member Posts: 4
    Good to see our older generation X (me included) is going to be strong force for keeping alive the Best of the best as far as RPg's are concerned and showing our kids the best "art" in the over-produced and $$$ hungry game-dev. world. I was in college in 2000 playing Diablo with my dorm mates.. then i discovered Baldurs gate.. I was already an Ad&D pen and Paper player so BG was a frontrow seat at heaven for one.! My kid is only 2.5 years old now but he already "plays" BG with Daddy at his computer. He like to point out where he wants my characters to explore, and when combat come sup he get SUPER eXCITED.!
    ber5nie5
  • ZoGarthZoGarth Member Posts: 47
    edited April 2020
    With the close of Baby Boomers generation in 1964 and me being born at the start of the Generation X in 1965 I have to concur with Simon_Belmont_1476 about dads, kids and BG, in that my kids now in their late 20's & early 30's also played Baldur's Gate with me their Dad. Those late night multi-player sessions are still, "some" of best memories we have... along with our NFS3 race-a-thons. :smiley:
    Post edited by ZoGarth on
    ber5nie5