Skip to content

Anyone use clubs? Which ones are good and where do I find them?

I'm trying to try out some different weapons I don't normally use, namely clubs, halberds, spears and quarterstaves.

I know some good examples of the others, but I don't remember where/when you get any good clubs... or if any even exist.

Can someone help a brother out?

Comments

• SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    There's a poisonish club to be had from one of them druids in the druidy druid grove quest outside of Trademeet. Think it's +2 or +3, it's fairly good regardless.
  • MitchforkMitchfork Member Posts: 390
    There aren't a whole lot, but there are a few good ones that make the proficiency useable.

Blackblood +3 is found pretty quick, you can buy it in Trademeet after the Druid/Dao crisis is resolved. It gets +3 acid damage on top of its normal enchantment, so it's got solid damage (7-12), kills trolls, and hits through Stoneskin.

Before that, you can get Gnasher +2 which inflicts 8 damage over 4 rounds on a successful hit. It's on one of the Druids you fight in the grove, but you can accidentally skip the fight depending on whether you take Cernd in Trademeet and how you want to resolve the quest.

There's also the Club of Detonation +3 at the bottom of Watcher's Keep, which does good damage with a chance of causing a Fireball spell on hit. It can be upgraded to a +5 weapon by Cespenar.
  • kryptixkryptix Member Posts: 741
    There's a halberd +2 with some effects from a gnoll in bg1 at the bottom of the map.
  • MetallomanMetalloman Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 3,975
    edited February 2014
    The Impaler do really a lot of damage: hits like a +3 but it adds a +10 piercing damage IIRC. if you plan to take spear proficiency, look for it!

However, if you want a bgII weapon panoramic and little spoilers look here:

http://mikesrpgcenter.com/bgate2/weapons.html

No EE weapons, still...:(

EDIT: oh! In BGEE you can find the Club of the Night (or Night Club? (!) I can't recall...), a nice odd club which adds a +1 during night-time.
    you should find it in a chest in Entar Silvershield Mansion's courtyard but there's also another one of it somewhere else...
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • booinyoureyesbooinyoureyes Member Posts: 6,164
    thanks guys
    @metalloman i'm good with spears and halberds, its the clubs i'm worried about.
    I'm thinking of dual wielding a club with something else
    I generally give Jaheira Blackblood and Belm until I get spectral Brand.
  • abacusabacus Member Posts: 1,307
    I'm sure there's an anti-undead club on the way out of Spellhold… I think you purchase it for the handsome price of a single dismembered head.
    (Pro-tip: this type of currency does *not* go down well IRL… learn from my fail)
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    edited February 2014
    Trademeet is your one stop club shop where you get Gnasher +2 and Blackblood +3 for all your dual-wielding needs. AFAIK there's no other early magical club. This is a serious problem for Jaheira in SCS since the Trademeet quests are much more difficult for an early party.
  • elminsterelminster Member, Developer Posts: 16,315
    thespace said:

Clubs are a must for me when playing a stalker (my favorite class so far), as they are the only blunt weapon that can be duel-wielded AND used for backstabbing.

What about the staff mace?
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Skaffen said:

Trademeet is your one stop club shop where you get Gnasher +2 and Blackblood +3 for all your dual-wielding needs. AFAIK there's no other early magical club. This is a serious problem for Jaheira in SCS since the Trademeet quests are much more difficult for an early party.

True but with SCS trademeet is still one of the easiest so you might as well do it early...
  • WebShamanWebShaman Member Posts: 490
    Backstabbing with a Club must be...excrutiatingly painful! >.<
    WebShaman said:

Backstabbing with a Club must be...excrutiatingly painful! >.<</p>

I look at is as a bop over the head with a cosh/blackjack... Actually fits a good aligned character better than throat-slashing or lung-puncturing.
    @booinyoureyes: unfortunately there's not any club over the +3 bonus, so you should not rely on clubs as primary weapons, but you could really consider them for a dual wielder as secondary weapon.

My favourite is Blackblood +3: acid damage is really useful and when needed there's the Bone Club +2, +3 vs undeads with a chance of undead disruption, IIRC.

@booinyoureyes: unfortunately there's not any club over the +3 bonus, so you should not rely on clubs as primary weapons, but you could really consider them for a dual wielder as secondary weapon

Club of Kablammo (Detonation) can be upgraded to +5 very early in ToB. Ooooh yes!
    Oh, yeah, that's true! But I never consider that club as it needs too much micromanagement... :/
  • SkaffenSkaffen Member Posts: 709
    Detonation on anything but a solo run is just too painful... :)
    Yeah, I'm with you on that... Can be okay if your backstabber is ahead of the party, and has a good way to escape (invis.potion, boots of speed, etc), but generally too party-unfriendly.
    Just thought it needed mentioning for completeness sake :)
    edited February 2014
    I admit that I forgotten that Club of ACME TNT can be upgraded in ToB but even with that you'll never have more than a +3 until early ToB, which means that you'll never be competitive in a party based run talking about hitting in SoA, having to rely on others to hit Demiliches and such if you want to use just clubs, and I think will also be a real pain in Solo...
  • SilverstarSilverstar Member Posts: 2,207
    As someone who's never cared for min-maxing I can safely say that both the second and first game is entirely playable without everyone dual wielding the Sword of Truth +10... granted maybe that stops being accurate in ToB, which I have barely played at all, but for the rest (which is the majority) of the series you can get by just fine with one of the party members using a <+5 weapon.
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    @Silverstar
    Certainly !
    However in early BG2 games you'd better procure a +2 and +3 weapon to hit some undeads and vampires for instance.
    This being said, I remember it was a real satisfaction to discover that the top enchanted weapons are not mandatory to face the latest SoA challenges (to say the least).
    Club of detonation is great I ran it on jaheira until I get spectral brand to +5.

Between fire resist gear and cloack of mirrors and the belt from trademeet, you have all of your front line fairly safe from the fireballs and they clear up trash pretty well when your at 10 apr.

As someone who's never cared for min-maxing I can safely say that both the second and first game is entirely playable without everyone dual wielding the Sword of Truth +10... granted maybe that stops being accurate in ToB, which I have barely played at all, but for the rest (which is the majority) of the series you can get by just fine with one of the party members using a <+5 weapon.</p>

It's true that people do seem to develop a run entirely based on a handful of late-game fights... Like the 6 million XP they gathered to get there was just a means to an end...
  • MusignyMusigny Member Posts: 1,027
    abacus said:

It's true that people do seem to develop a run entirely based on a handful of late-game fights... Like the 6 million XP they gathered to get there was just a means to an end...

With a frenzied side effect : giving up and restarting because it's too boring.

• TaearTaear Member Posts: 90

As someone who's never cared for min-maxing I can safely say that both the second and first game is entirely playable without everyone dual wielding the Sword of Truth +10... granted maybe that stops being accurate in ToB, which I have barely played at all, but for the rest (which is the majority) of the series you can get by just fine with one of the party members using a <+5 weapon.</p>

As long as you've got a +2 you're pretty much fine. Which is good, since +3 arrows don't exist until ToB...
  • Demonoid_LimewireDemonoid_Limewire Member Posts: 424
    Interesting clubs, eh? Hmmm... The one forged at Cespenar's. And the one picked up from that trollish shrine, maybe in ToB? I didn't pay it much attention, because last playthrough i did not use any clubs... Not your usual main weapon, but they can be useful, for sure!
  • WitchfinderWitchfinder Member Posts: 26
    Skaffen wrote: »

Well, in order to solve the druid quest you don't have to fight at all. And killing the genies isn't too hard (but killing Ithafeer can be). I don't remember which druid drops gnasher but both the druid gangs that you fight are pretty easily nuked also in SCS.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited March 2020
    it is one of the druids you meet right in front of the druid's grove's door, not one of the group you meet before in the center of the area.
    anyway this thread had his natural death 6 years ago, and you quoted and answered to a forums user that is not logging it since january 2015, nothing wrong, as afaik topic resurrection is not forbidden by the forum rules, but the next time you decide to resurrect a very old thread at least check the users profile to see if they are still with us to read you.
    probably most of us, me included, when we read the old threads want to answer and give our take on the matter, but i usually refrain myself from doing it if i don't have a really important reason to bump the thread or to add a very crucial information that is missing, i simply was not there at the right time so i accept that fact and continue my browsing of the old threads.
  • AewyrvenAewyrven Member Posts: 228
    Detonation from watchers keep.

Until you upgrade it in tob just fireproof yourself, if you completion it before the under dark you can actually immune fire cold electrical poison disease and can heal off fire very early.

So you can have a lot of fun with it.

Until then use black blood (finish trademeet) and grab gnasher (fight before taking on Faldorn) then ur wielding some serious hurt through soa with them. You can also grab the bone club when in the asylum to squish the undead with once you come out of there though I'd stay with black blood gnasher.... you dont really need +4 or 5 in tob, even the +6 kinda fail alot to hurt for some reason.