Skip to content

Zaram Maldovar's Poorly Played No-Reload Cemetery (Attempts #1-42)

Comments

• ZaramMaldovarZaramMaldovar Member Posts: 2,309
    dn1vpci5mvsa.png
    sfxj7kqmgh19.png

The fools that Sarevok sends after me go down quite easily when I refuse to follow the path the game expects of me.

tvt357qxp48b.png
    ph8s154tduey.png
    cmilf2i3wsn8.png

My hubris nearly costed me the mortal coil as I lost my party attempting to execute the fool Tulbor who dared demand payment I could not afford in exchange for the completion of a paltry quest. I lost Imoen (rest well, poor child) and the Zhentarim Necromancer before selling most of our equipment to ressurect the party. We shall have to be far more careful in the future.

w2nxnu73zyhj.png
    5v73cp5pxpgu.png

Arriving in Nashkel I dealt with Noober (amazing that listening to a pathetic brat would result in me growing stronger but I do not question these methods I only exploit them) before collecting the Ankheg Plate for Viconia and the Pearl in order to upgrade our meager equipment. We are now as close to full strength as we can possibly be.

Losing Imoen shall only be a small hiccup in my ascension. All will bow before Kanto.
    monicoAerakar
  • monicomonico Member Posts: 571
    You do realize that having Ajantis and Viconia (in fact, any evil character) is a disaster in waiting ? ^^
    ZaramMaldovar
    @monico
    Yes of course, I've played this game dozens of times (not counting my no-reload runs)
    monico
    edited November 2019
    veaxake63qn7.png
    qnbgjrfj00dh.png
    97yup98qjw3m.png

Curses, foiled by my own hubris! After over a dozen lives I am still prone to moronic mistakes. And yet truly the thing that is robbed from me the most is my identity for what will my next life become? Shall I forget my lust for revenge and become once again a slave to the whims of an unknown creator.

Nay! I shall return...one day

monico wrote: »
    You do realize that having Ajantis and Viconia (in fact, any evil character) is a disaster in waiting ? ^^

@monico Speak of the devil and it shall happen.

drserhjrjemk.png

Attempt #17: Sinnoh the Thief

Hiya! I'm Sinnoh. I'm not sure what to make of myself yet but I promise I won't be as angry as Mr. Grumpypants was before me. I guess I just have to make my story along as it goes and be a lot more friendly with my friends. Doesn't that sound fun?
    Post edited by ZaramMaldovar on
    AerakarmonicoJuliusBorisov
    62clmqzhuqbl.png

A pretty little gem locked in a chest got me 1000 gold from Winthrop. I'm sure the merchants upstairs won't miss it, right? *wink*

AN: Feel free to play the Benny Hill theme for the upcoming photos, It'll be worth it, trust me.

jokvy41in09i.png
    5c4p8ziedgbh.png
    ssrcak185w5g.png
    cz46vmipspqs.png
    e4as5zpu0r7f.png
    i72dn937rd1m.png

Ok so I made a bit of a boo boo in stealing from the Infirmary. But really, that potion was asking to be stolen. It took a lot of running power but I managed to finish all my little errands before bolting. I wasn't about to give that meanie my gold but I'm not going to kill him either. Hopefully this doesn't come back to bite me.

g7l5gqm0qkm8.png

Gorion is dead! I can't believe it; it all happened so fast. I'm just glad Imoen wasn't there or I would've had to bury two friends. All we can do now is make sure this doesn't happen again.

h4xxpbldo5wn.png

Whoever that scary guy in the big suit of armor is; he really wants me dead. Luckily some pilfered potions from the Inn combined with the inference of the guards ended up saving us. A thief getting saved by the cops, woulda thought?

cpss8j6r21oo.png

AN: Ok so admitteldy taking on those Spiders at Level 1 was probably not a good idea. But I thought since I had those antidotes stocked it'd be fine. Turned out I was wrong and all it took was one hit from a spider to end this run.

It wasn't even a critical hit :(

In any case perhaps it's for the best, I've been taking so much time off between runs that I lose the iron clad focus on my older runs and they end up...well...like this.

39tglttggowv.png

AerakarmonicoJuliusBorisovenergisedcamel
    And fate has chosen....

Attempt #18: Johto the Cleric
    dani8buhb016.png

Hello there. Names's Johto. I'm from Candlekeep. I'm Dwarf of few words so I'll keep this quick. I'm not what you'd call an intelligent man or a leader. I heal things and I hit things with my hammer. You want insight, talk to a priest. You want results? Talk to me. Candlekeep isn't safe so Gorion wants to leave, I'm not going to argue with that; he's a smarter man than me. So let's get a move on.
    AN: I just wanted to give everyone I heads up. I've really gotten into this but I'm going to be on vacation for a week visiting my Mom so I won't have access to my game. I'll try to update a 2nd time today if possible but it's starting to get a little late here.

cghbl4rstjj2.png

AN: Nothing quite like starting the game with a 0 AC. Not bad, lad.

njie7gq8kfd5.png

Gorion's gone. We got ambushed and he fought hard but that armored man was like some kind of demon. Nothing could touch him. I managed to run off and met up with Imoen. Now I suppose there's nothing to do but find Khalid and Jaheria and help protect Imoen (poor child)

45jena5bfpnf.png

Khalid and Jaheria wanted us to investigate the Nashkel Mines and I obliged. Any friend of Gorion's is a friend of mine and it seems a fitting way to honor his memory. On the way we rescued a wild mage named Neera. She's a bit too chatty but can hurl a few good spells and it would be wrong of me to rob her of the protection she needs from the Red Wizard thugs who're after her.

We also met an elven ranger named Kivan. This one's much quieter so I think we'll along just fine. In Nashkel we found a suit of Ankheg Armor perfect for light weight travel. I think we'll be ready for anything these mines have to throw at us. Our at least I pray to the gods that my prediction is right.

Because something tells me it isn't.
    AerakarJuliusBorisov
    First Kanto, then Sinnoh and now Johto... I guess next one is Hoenn ? :wink:
    @monico
    You didn't notice Kalos? I'm actually think the next one will be either Unova or Hoenn depending on what the wheel decides.

You just can't wait for Johto to die, can you?
    monico
    @monico
    You just can't wait for Johto to die, can you?

No way, a dwarven cleric is bada$$ as hell :D I wish him the best ! (We all know how my well wishes generally end up ;) )
    iqm54hapcbvj.png

AN: I have no idea how Neera avoided getting chunked here. With 4 HP I thought taking over 20 damage would certainly be enough to chunk her. In any case I'm glad it didn't

n2akizncyzef.png

On our way to the Nashkel Mines we assisted an artist named Prism in completing his sculpture. Prism sadly died of his own exhaustion but any Dwarf worth his salt should admire the craftmanship he left behind. You were a truly worthy human, Prism. May you rest in peace.

AN: I hope you enjoyed this long awaited but relatively short update. I apologize for not getting back to this sooner. Hopefully my next update won't be nearly as far away.
    AerakarJuliusBorisov
    rccyjrmdswdm.png

While exploring the area near High Hedge I encountered a group of Flinds. While they were quickly dispatched I found myself consumed by some sort of otherwordly hatred of these creatures. As If I was possessed by some sort of angry god with a vendetta specifically for Flinds. How curious.

353rbmh7u01s.png

AN: *Sigh* I wanted to avoid these guys. I'm still shivering from the runs these guys have cost me.

06v0591eth84.png

We discovered the culprit behind the corruption of Nashkel Mines but also unearthed a bigger conspiracy. It seems the plot goes much deeper than we could have imagined.

nf6m2dv694la.png

I've been having strange visions as of late. They seem to speak of some foreboding connection I have with Death and upon waking up from these dreams my powers grow stronger. I'm not ready to tell the others yet. This may prove too much for them and we need to have our best heads if we are going to solve this crisis.
    You guys ready for this next post? It's a bit of a doozy because I lost my internet for a few weeks and while I was offline I burned through SEVERAL characters.

(Deep Breath)

jfqtbjz4biqm.png

See what I mean? I literally died pretty much right away

Attempt #19: Unova the Cleric/Mage

zbsoqlbx5ev1.png
    9lrllhrnxicf.png
    l0vcc9nb48cf.png
    hiscsdk64te8.png
    eygr9larlty0.png
    u0fd3wjd86pp.png

I'm going to be honest here; I didn't really develop a personality for this character. I'd like to think though that she was a gentle soul who wanted nothing more than to help others. Unfortunately like all of my characters her life was cut short.

Attempt #20: Galar the Priest of Talos

2ha86v1mbzi0.png

My name is Galar and though I was raised by the monks of Candlekeep; in secret I worship the great god Talos! One day his mighty storms shall rule this world and I hope to have a place by his side. Today I have that opportunity, my foster father Gorion tells me that Candlekeep is no longer safe for us. I don't know what to make of this; but when opportunity knocks, Galar will answer.

4h58p86q10hl.png

I meant with Gorion's allies, Khalid and Jaheria. They seem powerful enough, but with no way back in Candlekeep I no longer wish to associate myself with Gorion's past. He was a good man and I will remember him fondly but he was an obstacle in my path to power. This is for the best

594gekreplzy.png
    qa2t7wcyya6k.png
    b6tnx0o25pel.jpg

Yeah so that didn't work out

Attempt #21: Nikora the Archer

xvau1bqxxkpt.png

Look, finally an Archer!

mlf3wwd9jy1j.png
    593jpguxplua.jpg

Attempt #22: Aro the Sun Soul Monk

1esm1u2a5yll.png

gbeocy0w3152.png

My name is Aro, Ward of Gorion; and Selune guides my hand. I have spent my years in quiet solitude within Candlekeep training my mind and body under the tutelage of the wise and kind Tethtoril but now Gorion tells me that Candlekeep is no longer safe. I deeply wonder what transpires here and hope that Selune will grant me guidance but I trust Gorion's word and hope that the future does not bode a dangerous omen.
    monicoJuliusBorisovenergisedcamel
    t1ejm2a80wvm.png

The omen I feared has arrived, Gorion is dead and Imoen and I have no way of returning to Candlekeep. I dreaded the day I might have to bury my father but did not expect it to come so soon. Rest well, Gorion of Candlekeep. Your sacrifice shall not be in vain.

l6kghixx27ij.png

I met with Gorion's friends at the Friendly Arm but decided it would be best to part ways with them, leaving Imoen under their protection. I do not trust the companions I have made along the way, but they appear to have the same interests in solving the area's Iron Crisis as Khalid and Jaheria do, and Gorion would not have me sit idle. I shall travel south and see what I can do.

s426wzx8yj0n.png

In Beregost I met a Priest of Lathander named Gavin. We share brotherhood through gods of good nature and I am proud to have him by my side.

boh1gbtka6b3.png

AN: Gavin is a workable NPC but be careful putting him into battle too early. He's a bit of a glass cannon until you can get your hands on that hidden Ankheg Plate in Nashkel.

v554qdlqozui.png

AN: An Exact Level Up? That's never happened to me before.

I have made another ally, the stoic ranger Kivan. Though he is a damaged soul he has a good heart and I believe it will do him some good to travel with us.

ww3sh9ys31pm.png

"And then he died too"- Android 16-Dragon Ball Z Abridged.

Attempt #23: Dhira the Priest of Tyr

ycs2z1avl82d.png

Hopefully this one goes a lot better. I see a lot of potential with this class
    monicoAerakarJuliusBorisovenergisedcamel
    I love this thread, it's like reading an obituary ! :smiley:

BTW, I did dibble around the no-reload challenges, although very specific ones: https://forums.beamdog.com/discussion/77162/solo-poverty-no-reload-legacy-of-bhaal-challenge

solo, no-reload, legacy of bhaal, poverty runs. I planned on trying BG1 & BG2 (no SoD, probably no ToB if I even managed to get there one day).

So far, I managed with MUCH luck and cheese to finish BG1 with my first 2 characters (a dragon disciple and a cleric/thief), but the DD died from a trapped chest in Irenicus dungeon, while the cleric/thief is on hold, somewhere in Atkathla, 'cause I got bored of the repetitive gameplay (plus with no NPC banter nor incentive to gather gear, felt monotonous).

But I liked the no-reload part of this, and I will probably try this kind of gameplay more often ! I'm still bent on solo-play though (which I actually find easier than party play in most cases).
    ZaramMaldovarAerakarJuliusBorisovenergisedcamel
    monico wrote: »
    I love this thread, it's like reading an obituary ! :smiley:

@monico
    I couldn't agree with you more. As of doing a Solo, Legacy of Bhaal run I say no thank you. I want to have at least a CHANCE of surviving thank you very much.

One of these attempts has to amount for something and so far my most succesful attempts have been #1, #4, #6 and #11 (especially #11, Idk how I got that far)

I think I'm off my game lately though. We'll see how far dear old #23 gets.
    monicoJuliusBorisov
    edited January 2020
    Well, thanks to you, I just started my own randomized no-reload games. No LoB, but I’ll try and go solo for most of the times, but will maybe recruit NPCs to help from time to time, like the end boss fights (especially considering my very first character roll).
    I decided that all character generation would be random, even the stats and weapon selection (one roll for melee and one roll for ranged weapon)

First random pick was... a female half elf Wizard Slayer -_- rotten luck.
    Dice rolls were good though, ended up 17 STR / 16DEX / 15CON / 17 INT (lol) / 9 WIS / 7 CHA.
    Weapons : Axe (lucky me) and Darts (not bad considering the WS special ability)

It felt great to throw darts at Tarnesh and apply Miscast Magic through his Mirror Images, and see him fail casting his horrors and magic missiles.

We’ll see how far I’ll go (should have called her Moana)
    JuliusBorisov
    @monico
    Have you considered the re-balanced Wizard Slayer mod? It makes Wizard Slayers a lot more useful. That's how my Attempt #11 with a Wizard Slayer was my most successful run.
    @monico
    Have you considered the re-balanced Wizard Slayer mod? It makes Wizard Slayers a lot more useful. That's how my Attempt #11 with a Wizard Slayer was my most successful run.

I don’t have mods, I play on my iPad and am too n00bish/lazy to install mods on the iPad version
    1x1bm20nchte.png

My name is Dhira and though I serve my god with duty and righteousness I was living an ordinary life until my home of Candlekeep came under attack. My foster father Gorion and I soon left under the cover of night but we were ambushed by a powerful warrior who did not fight with honor. Gorion died protecting me and now my friend Imoen and I must travel alone heading to his last wish: Go to the Friendly Arm and find Khalid and Jaheria. Perhaps they have the answers we seek

incm8jaoleej.png
    7mfnoql8jq2x.png
    runzr1xp1578.png

AN: We are NOT off to a good start

The world of Faerun is dangerous, between another Bandit Ambush and an assassin at the steps of the Inn, I nearly lost Imoen more than once. Lukcily there are healers nearby and now with Khalid and Jaheria by our side the journey should go much smoother. The two claim to be on a mission to investigate the Iron Mines of Nashkel in hopes of bringing peace to a disturbed land. If it was Gorion's wish that I do so, I shall not let them down and in the name of Tyr I shall do my best to bring justice to these terrified commoners.
    monicoJuliusBorisovAerakarenergisedcamel
    Ok so wow it's been a long time since I've posted. Given the current global situation I wanted to ensure all of my readers that I am indeed still alive

u067fk7a7v8i.png
    czdmh7g5pjv4.png
    fxffroivmdw0.png

Though the same cannot be said for my priestess of Tyr

Hey everyone, so I've been away a long time and I'm kinda suffering from depression and burnout due to still being required to work during the Coronavirus Pandemic. As such, I will be refrain from in character posting as I simply don't have the energy for it and will be returning to my original narration method. I hope you enjoy either way

Attempt #24: Gorndar the Blackguard

These first few photos were taken way back in Feb before my current bout of depression really sank in. So I don't really remember what I was going to say. That being said I'll make something up
    ut3591q4t4ux.png

Lol, a Dwarven Blackguard....this oughta be good

h3sk1666nmk3.png

Let's take some repressed rage out on these rats. Grr! Repressed Rage!

1q2reke7dwwd.png

Whosoever stands in Gorndar's way shall be crushed!

im1pya0za8f2.png

Gorndar stands atop the bones of Gorion and swears bloody vengeance on those responsible.
    RaoJuliusBorisovAerakarmonico
  • RaoRao Member Posts: 141
    @ZaramMaldovar Great to have you back! This is an epic thread and it would have been a shame to see it dwindle away before you were finally victorious.
    JuliusBorisovAerakarZaramMaldovarmonico
    @Rao
    I appreciate it and your rally call shall keep me from giving up. I promise I shall keep trying until I am victorious. Even if takes 1000 attempts
    xr4elv5baq50.png

I swear Montaron never has a good time.

0i0ieots2usg.png

And neither does Xzar early game, but he'll catch up eventually

g4s7bi0wec4e.png

Ran out of Resurrection money. Yep, off to good start folks.

fkj22tqev46g.png

A rather amusing conversation between Xzar and Kagain
    AerakarRaoJuliusBorisovmonico
    edited April 2020
    ai1xs90vjjoj.png

An enlightening conversation between Montaron and Kagain

e3s1q3e9iq2k.png

Is Xzar killing the dryad different if you're evil or has the NPC Project been updated? I don't remember this.

6n85sy0bsp5u.png

Yeah, I didn't expect Xzar and Shar-Teel to get along (Xzar has the best dialogue!)

foqjebgmz8bv.png

zws16jgbptc6.png

These guys have been the death of me in so many of my runs. It feels good to squash them even if it cost me another Raise Dead spell.

P.S. I seriously still don't get how you can be poisoned AFTER you die
    AerakarJuliusBorisovmonico
    8r7r00x89kmw.png

Roger is one of the bravest NPCs in the game. Caught between some monsters and an evil party and he doesn't care in the slightest. The man has a message to impart!

arbdmj1vkavc.png

Honestly the easiest time I've ever had with these guys. Seriously, I absolutely crushed it.

y2gd3stxfr1q.png

But I forgot about this guy and his Kobold Commandos and suffered a near TPK. It's going to be a chore picking up all that stuff assuming I don't lose it. I think that's enough for tonight.

Sorry for the delay, I don't get a whole lot of time to play anymore but hopefully I'll have more for you tomorrow.
    AerakarJuliusBorisovmonico
    Ok so obviously it was a lot more than a day before I updated but here you go. Pardon me if I can't remember exactly what happened in these screenshots. It's been a long time. Hopefully I'll have some time to play again soon.

dibmvaz18no4.png

Brage was surprisingly a piece of cake after stunning him. First time I've actually tried to kill Brage so I didn't know how it was going to go.

1k3mjsg5r9ek.png

Also Mulahey was pretty easy too. Hooray for level grinding!

60ibpbifv2fc.png

Rassaad steals our kill....Gorndar will remember that

ddb23ggvzg2x.png

Sure I could go for a bite

yud2lexv3xfy.png

So level grinding in Mutamin's Garden did not work as planned. Ah well, Gorndar abandons the weak anyway.

vdgicmq1630l.png

Shar-Teel, meet your replacement.
    Aerakarmonico
    It's not much of an addition but I hope you enjoy. Happy Father's Day, everyone.

qgh3ak41509p.png

While fighting a pack of Dread Wolves, a 2nd pack of Dread Wolves snuck up and killed Xzar.

9pondywed4ig.png

Damn it, Xzar! I just resurrected you.
    energisedcamelmonicoAerakar
    Hey man ! I hope you'll feel better soon. I sure am glad to see your progress on your challenge ! Cheers for your dwarven blackguard (hopefully, I won't jinx THIS one).
    p06duoe669xx.png

Nope

5mpq0ymqiib5.png

Returning to Mutamin's Garden for some good 'ol level grinding

6m8wwp18uwg6.png

*Narrows eyes* Flinds

vump9y3ddjag.png

Executing Shar-Teel for good measure (and getting our stuff back).

eg99zx7tzd9v.png

Nice job, Dorn

6rkmecsqz3wc.png

.....How bout no?

7z4q2sgln38x.png

This guy proved to be tougher than I predicted

kae3yw425yfr.png

Could you stop dying....for FIVE minutes?!

7o6kml92f500.png

For a moment I thought the nobleman was Joluv but it was JoluN (no relation) I was also dissapointed to see that some sort of update or mod made the Elfsong Tavern just a tavern. I could have sworn I used the Elfsong as my base of operations in previous playthroughs.
    Aerakarmonico
    Sorry this took so long. I tried to post earlier but it glitched on me and I got frustrated and left.

ku05t4xk1oqd.png

I'm getting Marching Mountains flashbacks here. I understandably noped out of this situation

0i2urabkhwlu.png

The Fields of the Dead didn't go very well either; so I left. Not like a CE party actually wants to save people anyway.

hu9wduk4ydtv.png
    21sr6cgotsge.png

After Montaron's poor skills (my fault) left us with nothing in the Candlekeep Catacombs for the first time ever, I decided to go do Durlag's Tower but accidentally sprung a couple traps. Frustrated that my bag of holding can't keep up with all the corpses, I saved and ragequit at least for now.

....I will return
    Aerakarmonico