Skip to content

How to get transparent sidebars

mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
edited April 2016 in UI Modding
If you would like transparent sidebars to give you back more of your screen real estate, just use the attached files and copy them to the BG or BG2 \override folder. They should scale as far as I can tell.

Super easy to make if you have GIMP or another good editing program. With GIMP I just choose New, set the image size to 80 pixels wide by 1536 tall, click Advanced options, then change the Fill with box with Transparency.

Then click OK to create it. Next you need to Save it, GIMP saves to the .xcf format, and finally Do an Export As .png format.

Copy the .png files to the BG2 \override folder with the names GUIWLSP.PNG and GUIWRSP.PNG. Restart the game if you have it started, the F5 reload didn't seem to work for this one.

To see where this is located, for instance if you want to something different than the normal sidebar and not transparent, just open the \override\UI.menu file using a good text editor like Notepad++ and remember to choose Language, Lua for better visibility. Sadly, this can only be done in BG2 for now it seems.

Here is the left sidebar code. You can change the sizes to match your images as needed. x = 80 and y = 1536 in my examples.
	label
	{
		name 'leftSidebarBackground'
		area 0 0 80 1536
		mosaic GUIWLSP
	}
	label
	{

area 0 1536 80 1536
		mosaic GUIWLSP
	}
And a little further down is the right sidebar.
	label
	{
		name 'rightSidebarBackground'
		area 0 0 80 1536
		mosaic GUIWRSP
	}
	label
	{
		area 0 1536 80 1536
		mosaic GUIWRSP
	}

If you don't see BG2 \override, try hitting F11 while the game is open, then hit F11 again to exit edit mode. You should then see the override folder and UI.menu within it.
Post edited by mf2112 on
Sylvus_MoonbowGrammarsaladIllustairCrevsDaakVortakaJuliusBorisov

Comments

• Sylvus_MoonbowSylvus_Moonbow Member Posts: 1,085
    .rar or .zip.

Use the attachment icon.
    mf2112
  • mf2112mf2112 Member, Moderator Posts: 1,919
    edited April 2016

.rar or .zip.

Use the attachment icon.

Yep, I did that before but when I click on the attach icon now, I only get an option for image URL and not file. It doesn't work in the UI modding thread any more either where I had attached files before. .zips don't work either. I think the subforum permissions need a tweak.
    Sylvus_Moonbow
    mf2112 said:

.rar or .zip.

Use the attachment icon.

Yep, I did that before but when I click on the attach icon now, I only get an option for image URL and not file. It doesn't work in the UI modding thread any more either where I had attached files before. .zips don't work either. I think the subforum permissions need a tweak.
    Ah, I get the same as well. You're right, different than other sub-forums.

Looking forward to the transparent sidebars! <3
    mf2112
  • DeeDee Member Posts: 10,447
    Should be fixed now.
    Sylvus_Moonbowmf2112CrevsDaak

mf2112 said:

.rar or .zip.

Use the attachment icon.

Ah, I get the same as well. You're right, different than other sub-forums.

Looking forward to the transparent sidebars! <3</p>
    Super easy to make if you have GIMP or another good editing program. With GIMP I just choose New, set the image size to 80 pixels wide by 1536 tall, click Advanced options, then change the Fill with box with Transparency.

Then click OK to create it. Next you need to Save it, GIMP saves to the .xcf format, and finally Do an Export As .png format.

Copy the .png files to the BG2 \override folder with the names GUIWLSP.PNG and GUIWRSP.PNG. Restart the game if you have it started, the F5 reload didn't seem to work for this one.
    Dee said:

Should be fixed now.

Thank you!!
    edited April 2016
    Fantastic!

Installed and enjoying. Thanks for putting the time into this, @mf2112!

mf2112
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,175
    edited April 2016
    There is even easier way, it doesn't require any image editing. In the code above simply put "0" instead of "80" and it's done. You can also colapse it in game in F11 mode. The advantage also is that it becomes a walkable area.
    mf2112Ithual
    edited April 2016
    Pecca said:

There is even easier way, it doesn't require any image editing. In the code above simply put "0" instead of "80" and it's done. You can also colapse it in game in F11 mode.

Ahh, that makes it 0 width so it doesn't matter what the image is then. Nice trick, I didn't think about that. :)
  • PeccaPecca Member Posts: 2,175
    Or you can put "--" before the "area" for the same effect.
    Ithualmf2112
  • AncientCowboyAncientCowboy Member Posts: 199
    edited October 2016

I've created a WeiDU package to automate installing a version of this mod. I hate the 'edit UI.MENU' - 'Test the code' cycle that occurs after each update - and I suspect 2.4 will be along shortly. So, I'm attempting to automate all my favorite mods prior to that.

The mod itself is a variation on Pecca's idea of removing the area fields in the relevant labels; but carried one step further. I completely remove the unnamed labels and change the named labels such that the only field they have is the name (safety - just in case the name is referenced somewhere else). Works well, with no messages in the debug console.

If you're familiar with installing WeiDU patches, installation will be obvious. If not, there is a document entitled 'Installation.txt' in the TransparentToolbars folder that gives step-by-steps. If you've already manually installed a form of this mod - don't bother with the WeiDU. They bars don't get any more transparent :smile:. It's here when 2.4 drops.

Enjoy - and give me a shout if you encounter problems

Post edited by AncientCowboy on
    mf2112
  • VortakaVortaka Member Posts: 173
    Thanks for this! I've been too long out of BGEE game (1.2beta or 1.3) can't remember... Anyway! This is a great little addon (I know, it removes stuff so I can't really call it an addon but I still do! ). My UI is starting to get a little bit better now thank to you!
  • megamike15megamike15 Member Posts: 2,666
    the one issue i had with this is sometimes it's hard to get the move to next screen marker to appear.
  • AncientCowboyAncientCowboy Member Posts: 199
    Wow - I'd forgotten that this zip was around. As @megamike15 stated, the original version had some 'flakeyness'. I fixed it in EEUITweaks a few revs ago - but this got neglected. Anyway, the zip above has the new code - as well as a new WeiDU (that doesn't require pre-extracting UI.MENU), and a new Installation.text.
    Enjoy!
  • MilesTegMilesTeg Member Posts: 12
    thx, works like a charm :smile: