Skip to content

Which alignments for a beginner's party of 6?

I'm just getting ready to play BG:EE for the first time and I'm wondering does it matter if I choose a mixture of good, neutral and evil characters or should all 6 be similar? I understand good characters have a higher starting reputation so what reason is there for me to choose one or two of my characters as neutral or evil?

Comments

• ZaxaresZaxares Member Posts: 1,325
    Are you creating all 6 of the characters yourself? If so, then there's no real reason why you can't mix and match alignments; in a standard game, Reputation only matters to the party members for determining when they'll get fed up and leave your party, but I believe custom characters don't use that script and will stay in the party regardless. Roleplaying would the primary reason for deciding what alignment your party has; generally, Good/Neutral parties will get along better than Evil ones, since the selfish and suspicious nature of Evil tends to undermine cooperative efforts in a group.
  • TheFizzTheFizz Member Posts: 5
    Zaxares wrote: »
    Are you creating all 6 of the characters yourself? If so, then there's no real reason why you can't mix and match alignments; in a standard game, Reputation only matters to the party members for determining when they'll get fed up and leave your party, but I believe custom characters don't use that script and will stay in the party regardless. Roleplaying would the primary reason for deciding what alignment your party has; generally, Good/Neutral parties will get along better than Evil ones, since the selfish and suspicious nature of Evil tends to undermine cooperative efforts in a group.

Thanks, that makes sense. Yes I want to create my own 6 characters.
  • woogirlwoogirl Member Posts: 14
    Hi, if it is your first time (and you plan to keep playing later BGII) I would sugest you try a run with the NPCs the game offers, since you will enjoy more content (banters, quests, etc). Just enjoy the story, and then for your next run, you can choose a harder setting and create your party. Just my opinion, good luck!
    dunbarZaxares
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited May 2020
    Apart from your starting reputation, it makes little difference what alignment you select, though there are a few alignment-gated items like the robe of the good archmagi. Unless you are planning to dual at some point, in which case you want to make sure each party members picks an alignment compatible with their intended second class.
    Post edited by jsaving on
  • Balrog99Balrog99 Member Posts: 7,367
    edited May 2020
    Clerics are affected more than other classes. The cleric spell Holy Smite will affect your evil party members if you catch them in it's area of effect. The evil version of that spell will affect good party members as well. Turn Undead works differently for evil and neutral/good clerics also. Evil clerics take control of undead rather than destroying them at high levels. Other than that, it doesn't make much difference.
    Grond0
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    There are a few things out there in the BG series which are alignment-based. In some cases, it's only your protagonist's alignment that matters. In others, any party member's alignment might matter.
    A list follows, as complete as I can recall.

Alignment-dependent spells:
    Protection from Evil: Enemy clerics might buff with protection from evil; this will make it harder for your evil-aligned party members fighting them.
    Holy Smite/Unholy Blight: Good and neutral clerics get the former, evil clerics get the latter. Viconia has special dispensation and gets both. Holy Smite deals damage to evil characters only, while Unholy Blight deals damage to good characters only. Since most enemies are evil, good party members will be most vulnerable here.
    Summon Deva/Summon Fallen Deva, Summon Planetar/Summon Fallen Planetar: No mechanical difference between the two except the alignment of the summoned creature.
    Find Familiar: The familiar your protagonist gets depends on their alignment.

Alignment-dependent quests and events:
    One tavern in the southwestern part of Baldur's gate holds the paladin Phandalyn, who casts Detect Evil at your party. If he detects any evil party members, he attacks; otherwise, he leaves. Killing him slightly lowers your reputation.
    In the Trademeet quests, an evil protagonist will be offered an alternate way of dealing with the druids. The standard method is still available, and the evil alternative is less rewarding.
    If your protagonist is a cleric, you will be recruited by the temple matching for your alignment in the BG2 temple quests. Priests of Lathander, Helm, or Talos get their god regardless of alignment.
    The Purifier bastard sword can only be pulled out of its pillar in Watcher's Keep by a good character.
    A non-good protagonist can work with some fiends in Watcher's Keep, and receive the Thieves' Hood that way.

Alignment-restricted items:
    The Azuredge throwing axe can only be used by a good character.
    The Human Flesh armor can only be used by an evil character.
    The Carsomyr two-handed sword can only be used by good paladins.
    The Purifier bastard sword can only be used by good paladins.
    The Ir'revrykal two-handed sword can only be used by evil paladins.
    The Soul Reaver two-handed sword can only be used by non-good characters.
    The Silver Dragon Scale armor can only be used by a non-good character.
    The Robes of the Good/Evil/Neutral Archmagi can only be used by mages of the corresponding alignment; all three alignments are available.

The most practical bit here is the robes; if you've got two mages in your BG1 party, it's a good idea to give them different moral alignments so that they can both get archmage robes. Otherwise, one will have to settle for the inferior option of AC bracers.

Reputation-dependent events are far more common, and are not included here.
    Grond0GusindaZaxareswoogirl
  • TheFizzTheFizz Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for your detailed replies. Lots to consider there.