Skip to content

How to make a simple Mod

LookToWindwardLookToWindward Member Posts: 179
edited April 2020 in General Modding
Hi All,

I'd like to make a very simple Mod installer that just installs/uninstalls the files needed to remove the XP Cap. Basically I just want to copy them into the override folder (which I've already done), but I'd like it packaged as a MOD for easy Uninstallation. If anyone could give me a a clue how to get started or an example .tp2 file to base it on I'd be eternally grateful!

The files I mean are:

SODSTRTA.2DA
STARTARE.2DA
STARTBP.2DA
XPCAP.2DA

Thanks a lot
Dave

Comments

• GusindaGusinda Member Posts: 1,915
    @LookToWindward, I am not a modder by any means but have been looking at how to do simple things for my installs. I can probably provide enough info to get what you want done...

The names I use here can be changed to whatever you want to call it.

Create a folder called 'BG1XP_Remover_v1'.

Create a subfolder called 'BG1XP_Remover'

In the subfolder, create a text file called 'BG1XP_Remover.tp2'
    In the subfolder, create another subfolder called 'copy'
    Copy the files you want copied into Folder 'BG1XP_Remover_v1\BG1XP_Remover\copy'

You should end up with:
    BG1XP_Remover_v1 //Folder
    BG1XP_Remover_v1\BG1XP_Remover //Folder
    BG1XP_Remover_v1\BG1XP_Remover\copy //Folder with all your files in it
    BG1XP_Remover_v1\BG1XP_Remover\BG1XP_Remover.tp2 //File

Open 'BG1XP_Remover.tp2' with a text editor. I use Notepad++ as it has many features and there is 'WeiDU Highlighter for Notepad++' if you intend to go further. You can use Notepad but make sure the file is saved as 'BG1XP_Remover.tp2' and not 'BG1XP_Remover.tp2.txt'.

There are a number of sections that are compulsory in the file; this is the bare minimum. You can use // or /*... */ in front of the text to remark (place comments) in the file.

The start of the file is generally a description of the mod etc. You can copy the contents below between the --Snipping-- lines.

--<Snip>

/******************************************************************************
    * MODNAME
    * Date of Last Edit:
    * Description:
    * Acknowledgements:
    * Etc...
    *****************************************************************************/

BACKUP ~BG1XP_Remover/backup~

AUTHOR ~LookToWindward, @ Beamdog Forums https://forums.beamdog.com/~

VERSION ~1.0~

BEGIN ~Remove BG1EE-SOD XP Cap~

//Copy files to override folder
    COPY ~%MOD_FOLDER%/copy/SODSTRTA.2DA~ ~override~
    COPY ~%MOD_FOLDER%/copy/STARTARE.2DA~ ~override~
    COPY ~%MOD_FOLDER%/copy/STARTBP.2DA~ ~override~
    COPY ~%MOD_FOLDER%/copy/XPCAP.2DA~ ~override~

//End

--<End of Snip>

You will need to a WeiDU installer file. Easiest way is to grab a copy of the latest (which I think is v24600) and rename it. It comes with just about any mod and the later ones should have the latest version.

Rename the WeiDU installer to 'Setup-BG1XP_Remover.exe' (same name as the mod folder, no spaces)

Place that file in the root of the 'BG1XP_Remover_v1' folder.

That is it. All that is left to do is copy the contents of 'BG1XP_Remover_v1' to the game folder and run
    Setup-BG1XP_Remover.exe to install. Run again to uninstall.

If you intent to go further and create mods for the public, make sure you register for your prefix... so you don't conflict with other mods...

Hope that helps
    Gus
  • LookToWindwardLookToWindward Member Posts: 179
    edited May 2020
    Thanks a lot for this, it was really well explained. I'm on a Mac so the last part is a little different, I'll add instructions for Mac here - just so its all in one place