Skip to content

Do you dream the games you play?

trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
i had weirdest dream a month or two ago: overhaul managed to recover all the source assets for planescape :torment and it released it in 3D. at first i was skeptical at this transition, but then i got transported into the world and i just stood there in awe at the world.
of course, i wasn't playing it on monitor i was TNO at the time.
i remember how everything seemed so vivid and rich and i was just walking around, recognizing all the places, marveling how they retextured even the stuff that wasn't visible on old 2D background. it was all so logical, they didn't export backgrounds, they just improved them in original 3d files and kept them that way.
i was trying to talk to some NPC's but remembered that there is no voice over so only text remained, which disappointed me a bit, but i somehow managed to get "generic" voiced lines to cover the illusion of talking NPC's.

as i started to search the new (improved retextured) version of companions (i just saw grace and morte), hoping they still look recognizable, i woke up. i remained in bed for next 15 minutes, recollecting the dream. this was one of the more pleasant game-to-dream experiences. do you have anything to share?
JalilyBelgarathMTHUlfgar_TorunnMedullaOblongataZinodinProont

Comments

• VirsalusVirsalus Member Posts: 45
    I sometimes actually do. I have no dream to share right now, but it happens from time to time.
  • BelgarathMTHBelgarathMTH Member Posts: 5,653
    I dream about the games I've been playing every night. However, mine are not like the one you describe, @trinit. Rather, I am actually there. I might find myself fighting almost anything from a game, and drawing on the powers I have there as though I actually had them.

Or, often, my brain is just doing housecleaning. I am playing the game on my computer as I sleep. All the images are still active, as though burned in. I am clicking, progressing in the game, as though I were still awake and playing. Sometimes, the surrounding environment is a house I grew up in - my mother's or my grandmother's, and I am 8 years old again, playing on some kind of laptop, lying around on a couch or on the floor.

These are time-juxtaposition images. Computers were not household objects until I was in college. When I was 8 years old, nobody even knew what a "computer" was, except maybe as a sci-fi villain like Hal from 2001:A Space Odyssey. (Ha, ha, a "computer" that goes crazy and tries to kill people, what a novel idea, how fanciful as a story device, ha, ha, good thing there's no such thing in real life, ha, ha.)

One thing never fails - these are always good dreams, because I am powerful in them, and I know exactly what to do. I always wake up from them feeling excited, refreshed, and competent to handle anything.

Sometimes, I can change a nightmare into a good dream through a kind of lucid dreaming techinique, where, when I am dreaming something horrible or frightening, I suddenly remember, wait a minute, click spellbook, fireball, lightning bolt, goodbye, nightmare monster, darn, that felt good! No boogey-man nightmare creature can scare me!

This is a good, interesting topic.
    [Deleted User]trinitBaldursCatProont
  • HaHaCharadeHaHaCharade Member Posts: 1,643
    I used to dream in text when I played MUDs in college (that's Multi-User Dungeons for those that don't know... all text-based games from back in the day). Seriously.... It was how I realized that I actually dream in color. Man, that's sad LOL.
    trinitMoomintrollMedullaOblongataProont
  • KenjiKenji Member Posts: 251
    Tetris.
    MedullaOblongataProont
  • rexregrexreg Member Posts: 292
    not that i don't sometimes game too much, but...
    yes...
    i've had tetris dreams, BG dreams (had one last night), Civ dreams, & Madden dreams....
    & D&D dreams
    Proont
  • TJ_HookerTJ_Hooker Member Posts: 2,438
    Pretty much only happens if I play way too much video games. Like if I have a free weekend and go on a video game bender. The game ends up running through my head over and over and usually results in a restless night.
    ginger_hammernoodles_tooProont
  • jhart1018jhart1018 Member Posts: 909
    I've dreamt in the BG interface. I was still playing the game in my sleep, I guess. I took it to mean I needed to lay off BG2 for a couple days.
    TamokoProont
  • trinittrinit Member Posts: 705
    usually i dream i am the character and then i play thorugh the story (it is a lot more stressful that way, imagine that), never realizing it's a game. i guess this was a special occasion, because of all the enhancing of the classical games, because i didn't play planescape for at least a year and a half now...
    Proont
  • MoomintrollMoomintroll Member Posts: 1,498
    I normally don't remember dreams but when I obsessively played WoW I used to see my little dwarf running around still when I closed my eyes, before I went to sleep.
    Proont
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    Only game i dream is the one i'm making. I'll often be in that pre-wake stage...you know...when you're slowly waking up but still dreaming? I have a pad of paper by my bed and write as much of it down before it goes *poof* from my brain.
    MoomintrollProont
    edited October 2012
    -Delete- window into my weirdness.
    trinit
  • JolanthusJolanthus Member Posts: 292
    After getting stuck in the iron throne battle for ages I went to bed and had a dream where I beat it doing something different. Next day I loaded up the game and played the battle the way it was in my dream. Beat it first try.
    JariahxSynnProont
  • HeinrichHeinrich Member Posts: 188
    Hell yes, I had tons of dreams about Diablo III before it came out. It was like my subconscious part of my brain was speculating on how Diablo 3 would turn out.
    Proont
    @Moomintroll nooooo, why did you delete it? :( (sorry, forgot to like it it seems) dreams tend to be that way, i know i usually have a lot weirder :)

@Jolanthus this happened to me also a few times. if nothing else, i learned the best way to beat a boss at 4 AM is to go to sleep, and then beating it in the morning/noon.

on this example i learned a value of getting some sleep or nap if i need to solve something really stressful. i usually wake emotionally stable and ready to act. :)
    MoomintrollProont
    @trinit didn't want people to think I dream about killing celebrities, despite the fact that in my sleep I apparently have done, from time to time.
    GilgalahadProont
  • MERLANCEMERLANCE Member Posts: 421
    Yes. Last night I dreamt about Assassins Creed.
    MedullaOblongataProont
  • ARKdeEREHARKdeEREH Member Posts: 531
    I haven't had a dream before where I'm actually in the world of the game like you described, but I've definitely had dreams before about what I wanted to do next while playing the game, or about plot ideas I think would be good or different directions I think the game should or would take.

I once had a dream in which I got the BWP to work on my computer, and when I woke up I was disappointed because in real life it doesn't.
    BelgarathMTHtrinitProont
  • cyberhawkcyberhawk Member Posts: 350
    I had dreams about some really hard and intense fights in the BG2 interface. I couldn't see my arms but I was pressing space and using the mouse all the time. The main problem in such dreams: the pause never works right, enemies are either immune to it to some extent or the button isn't responding and I hammer at it a lot and end up un-pausing the game so that enemies can hit me or finish their spells before I manage to do anything.
    Nightmares basically, most likely induced by playing a multiplayer game in BG2. For some reason, even if the game runs locally on my PC, pause is having a noticeable lag.
    Proont
    @ARKdeEREH i completely forgot that kind of dreams. years ago, i dreamt i managed to install and play legacy of kain:defiance and soul reaver 2 on my 233Mhz, 64MB RAM, 4mb graphic card computer. disappointment upon wakening was immense. :P
    right now i dont have to worry about that kind of dreams... :smug:
    Proont
  • GilgalahadGilgalahad Member Posts: 237
    @ moomintroll i confess i too have had that dream so don't feel bad. I've dreamed of lining up the kardashians, ALL so-called real wives of wherever the hell those phonies come from, the reality show doorknobs(jersey shore etc) and lindsay "klepto" lohan or even paris "don't call me stupid" hilton and dropping a nuke in their shorts or something equally lethal.....ummm......don't tell my shrink about this post pleeeease.
    MoomintrollProont
  • LadyEibhilinRhettLadyEibhilinRhett Member Posts: 1,078
    Actually, yeah, Xan showed up in my dream just last night, it was totally weird. I'm still trying to figure out exactly what happened. He told me that the universe was ending and we had to try to stop it even though we would certainly fail because Fate is a cruel mistress, or something like that, I'm paraphrasing. And then he dragged me through a portal and we ended up in a plane that was eye-searingly colorful, except for everywhere in a five foot radius of Xan, that was all grey and nasty and dismal and stuff. I don't really remember the rest off the top of my head. Heck, maybe it'll continue tonight though. I actually have serial episodic dreams that tell a story over several nights pretty often.
    JalilyProont
  • Son_of_ImoenSon_of_Imoen Member Posts: 1,806
    I had a dream about the opening of Drakensang: The Dark Eye. The game opens with such a pleasant camping field, and in my dream characters I could get for my party were all happily sleeping around on their bedrolls while I was picking weapons for them. It was just anticipation of the game that made my mind create the dream, I hadn't get past that opening yet.
    JalilyProont
  • MedullaOblongataMedullaOblongata Member Posts: 434
    I had a Mass Effect dream... Unfortunately it wasn't fantastic, I was just on the Citadel (pre-Reapers) and walking down a hallway in C-Sec to find my case officer. I don't know if I was a victim, informant, or witness. I saw a turian officer walk by and glance at me, but that was about it.
    Proont
  • Oxford_GuyOxford_Guy Member Posts: 3,729
    ajwz said:

I once had a happy dream about Viconia :p

BTW Congratulations on your 1000th post!
    MedullaOblongataProont
  • sandmanCCLsandmanCCL Member Posts: 1,389
    It's a common occurrence for people to dream in whatever visual style of the last thing they saw.

That's why you shouldn't watch violent, bloody things before going to bed. It's bad for your psyche.
    Proont
  • QuartzQuartz Member Posts: 3,853
    ajwz said:

I once had a happy dream about Viconia :p

Jealous.
    MortiannaGreedySadistProont
  • reedmilfamreedmilfam Member Posts: 2,808
    I don't. But I can't keep the game out of my mind when I try (try being the operative word) to go to sleep. Imagining sprites with green circles...
    Proont
  • MungriMungri Member Posts: 1,645
    Every night you dream about things you did during the day, but you forget around 95% of the dreams you have.
  • SarevokokSarevokok Member Posts: 171
    I've had a good amount of dreams concerning video games I've played.
    Proont