Skip to content

[Suggestion] Introduce a method to access the stronghold in Throne of Bhaal

Ian579Ian579 Member Posts: 241
I stored most of the pieces of upgradable items in my stronghold, which I obtained during Shadow of Amn. Now I have advanced to Throne of Bhaal and realized that I can no longer access my stronghold. That's frustrating.

So if I wanted to upgrade those items, I had to have all of those pieces in my inventory when finishing Shadow of Amn? How could I possibly know that? In my opinion, that's a frustrating design.

Comments

• Ian579Ian579 Member Posts: 241
    edited May 2020
    Grond0 wrote: »
    I agree it can be frustrating. If you do want to store items to pick up in ToB, you can put them in Watcher's Keep as you retain access to that.

Thanks for the tip. It would still requires that we are informed of the inaccessibility of our strongholds in ToB in advance. Also, from the perspective of the in-game world, it would be a bit weird to do that. Think about this: why does my character store his items not in his own stronghold but in a remote ancient keep in which who knows whether monsters and guardian spirits would suddenly respawn or not? I can't think of a logical reason to explain that.
    gorgonzola
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    edited May 2020
    @Ian579 you are certainly right, but WK is the only area you can access both from soa and tob, so some container there is the only safe place to bring to ToB the items you can not carry with yourself.

please also note that cespenar is not able to upgrade the items cromwell can upgrade and there are not pieces of upgradable items cespenar can use in soa if not the ones you find in WK, so you have to upgrade the soa items in soa and if you can use a WK container to carry to tob soa items only the parts of upgradable items that you find in WK have to be left there or carried in the party inventory.

about using the stronghold to store items it can have a RP value, but is something that i personally don't do.
    every soa container is as safe as the ones in you stronghold, but the stronghold ones have longer access time.
    you are a ranger? you have to go to the umar hills, then walk to your stronghold and come back.
    you are a mage? you have to enter the planar sphere and walk to the nearest container.
    i prefer to use the 2 containers that are right in front of the copper coronet, you are in town much more often then in other areas and entering the slums you are at 10 seconds from having access to your storage place.
    RP it has no sense, but my stuff is as safe as it is in a container in the stronghold and to walk too long or to travel to different areas, with the fatigue problem, is not convenient if you need to store an item or recover it.

EDIT: i have disclosed to you where my secret storage is, please feel free to use it, but don't stole my items :D
    Ian579kaja8
  • Ian579Ian579 Member Posts: 241
    @gorgonzola thanks for sharing the fastest-accessible storage in SoA with us, though I think RP-sensible way is still preferable.
    gorgonzola
    your choice...
    but i guess that after playing the game 10 or 20 times you also will be bored to have to walk and maybe even rest because of the fatigue of traveling to a far area only to get or store some items ;)
    anyway as long as you move the relevant items to WK before the end of SoA there is nothing wrong in using the stronghold as storage place.
    kaja8
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    If you need it for your current game you can use the movetoarea cheat to teleport your party back to the stronghold.
    @DJKajuru is it possible also to use the cheat to complete or even get undone soa quests?
    I know that to play chap 2 quests is really easy with a tob level party, but it can be useful if you plan to dual mr tob, leaving rewards to collect and maybe some quest to do would be a way to speed up his down time.
  • DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    edited May 2020
    gorgonzola wrote: »
    @DJKajuru is it possible also to use the cheat to complete or even get undone soa quests?
    I know that to play chap 2 quests is really easy with a tob level party, but it can be useful if you plan to dual mr tob, leaving rewards to collect and maybe some quest to do would be a way to speed up his down time.

I'm quite positive that you can do it for most SoA quests, I mean, the only things that happen when you transition to ToB are (a) The game stops all timed conditions from SoA (like romances, times quests, banters that only occur before ToB etc) , (b) your saved games now have a "ToB" code so the game knows it belongs in the expansion and (c) unlocks a new world map and makes SoA map inaccessible. That said, I haven't tested it but AFAIK all SoA areas are the same ones you've visited previously, with all it's (completed or not) quests but I don't know if transitioning to another area in the usual way is going to work, I would rather do the MoveToArea cheat all the way.
    gorgonzola
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    Or you could just console in an extra Bag of Holding or two just to tide you over the transition.
    gorgonzola
  • Adam_en_tiumAdam_en_tium Member Posts: 99
    Or play with EET !
    I'm doing my first playthrough with it, really enjoing the feeling of continuity. The NPC keeping their stats is cool, the big map also.
    bdtgazo
    dunbar wrote: »
    Or you could just console in an extra Bag of Holding or two just to tide you over the transition.

it is possible, but you have to use different versions of the bag as if you have 2 bags with the same name (the one the engine uses) it happens a strange thing: you can have 2 toons having the bag in the inventory and they have access to the same content, so they can be used to pass items to a toon that is far in the map just putting them in the bag, from where he can retrieve them.
    but even if there are 2 physical bags in the game as they share the same items the capacity is not doubled.

with 2 bags with different names you have 2 completely separate inventories, but you can not perform that trick.

or you can use a mod to have a bottomless BoH.
  • dunbardunbar Member Posts: 1,603
    But are they all the same bags though? Some arrive in your inventory empty and others come with varied contents which you can discard (I'm talking about item codes BAG19, BAG19A-E and BAG20-31).
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,822
    The bags (19, 19A-E, 20-30) which come with various contents are used to give newly created ToB characters some of the stuff they would have picked up if they had played the SoA campaign; you can't get them otherwise.
    They also have capacity 2000 each; emptying out one of them would give you plenty of room to carry everything you care about.

The bags of holding you can normally get in the game:
    BAG04 - picked up in Spellhold, capacity 100.
    OHHBAG - picked up at the beginning of Hexxat's quest, capacity 100.
    BAG31 - bought in ToB, capacity 2000.
    stu-k
    if they are the same bag they share the content and should have the same item code, i am not sure which one is the one you get in the game, but it easy to check it using EEkeeper and a save where you have it.
    the bags with different item codes should be different ones, even if they share the same look and color, so you can put in them different items and can not be used to pass items to a far toon that also has a bag.
  • iosfrustrationiosfrustration Member Posts: 153
    Of all the strongholds in BG2 some of them would fit really well into TOB, others not so much.

An epic level mage might encounter some terrifying demon in an epic battle. Harness the power of its hate-filled heart to re-energise the planar sphere. Then pilot the sphere into hell, summon it to his pocket plane, and smash the ravager to nothingness with its meteorite-pitted hull.

A bard might travel in secret back to his playhouse. We know for a fact that there is a portal of in-imaginable power in the basement. Tavern regulars would sit spellbound as they wove tales of outlandish adventure and impossible creatures.

A paladin might lead an invasion of hell. He could establish an outpost on the planes. Wielding the holy-avenger he would become a living banner of righteousness. Tyr’s fury given form, knights and horses, men at arms, petty squabbles set aside in a holy crusade into the heart of darkness.

De-Arnise keep would become a flying citadel. Held aloft by the dubiously sane but undoubtedly powerful former inmates of spellhold. It would hover on the horizon as an unearthly threat, raining rocks and boiling oil from the skies. The siege of Saradush would be broken in a single day as the citadel set down outside the walls on Yaga Shura’s smashed and mangled body
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    De-Arnise keep would become a flying citadel. Held aloft by the dubiously sane but undoubtedly powerful former inmates of spellhold.
    What...
  • iosfrustrationiosfrustration Member Posts: 153
    Blackbɨrd wrote: »
    De-Arnise keep would become a flying citadel. Held aloft by the dubiously sane but undoubtedly powerful former inmates of spellhold.
    What...

The idea of a flying citadel was absolutely freaking mind blowing when I read the dragonlance books as a kid
    http://lexicon.dragonlancenexus.com/index.php/Flying_Citadel
    Traditionally I think they were powered by the torment of forsaken souls. But there is plenty of soul stuff in TOB anyway so let’s mix it up a bit aye?

bdtgazo
  • BlackbɨrdBlackbɨrd Member Posts: 293
    Blackbɨrd wrote: »
    What...

The idea of a flying citadel was absolutely freaking mind blowing when I read the dragonlance books as a kid
    http://lexicon.dragonlancenexus.com/index.php/Flying_Citadel
    Traditionally I think they were powered by the torment of forsaken souls. But there is plenty of soul stuff in TOB anyway so let’s mix it up a bit aye?

The idea of a flying castle/fortress, does sound pretty cool. I don't think it suits TOB at all though.