Skip to content

Forming a new party - thoughts?

It's been ages since I played and it was the original version back then. I have been reading and researching and here is the party I am thinking about putting together. I'd love your thoughts on strengths/weaknesses or other tidbits please:

Dwarf Fighter-Defender Kit
Human Paladin-Undead Slayer Kit Focus on 2 weapon style
Elf Ranger-Archer Kit
Gnome Cleric/Thief
1/2 Elf Cleric/Mage
1/2 Elf Bard

I was really toying with a human dual class but decided not to in the end.

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• McClandishMcClandish Member Posts: 2
    The more I think about it, I really think I should add a Druid. Two choices:
    A - Elf Druid (not sure about a kit)
    B - 1/2Elf Druid/Ftr.

On the chopping block in order of preference:
    1 - 1/2E Cl/Mage - will my bard be enough of a magic user?
    2 - Dwarven Defender - I would really be worried about front line strength - leaves only the Paladin while my gnome Cl/Th will stay in armor and will really be used just for detecting/removing traps.

Thoughts?
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Your ideas are totally viable but I personally think fighter/cleric and fighter/mage characters outperform single-class warriors in IWD and would be hesitant to put more than one single-class warrior in my party. I'm also unsure I understand the purpose of your cleric/thief. Ordinarily in IWD you'd want to combine thief with fighter so you'd have stronger backstabs and greater melee survivability, or combine thief with mage so you'd have at-will backstabs (by casting invisibility) and greater melee survivability, or go all the way to FMT which would provide all of the above. However perhaps you have something in mind for that character that I'm not seeing.

Also, while cleric/mages are not weak by any means, you'll lack the caster level to either dish out top-of-the-line turning or top-of-the-line fireballs. That being the case, you could consider making that character a fighter/mage/cleric which would be able to help bolster your frontline.

Finally, you mention the possibility of adding a druid to your party. Druids and sorcerers are the game's best summoners and it is not a bad idea by any means to have one or even two, especially on higher difficulty levels where summoning is king. However do keep in mind that the intricate mage battles you may remember from BG2 are basically nonexistent in IWD, so insect spells (for druid) or breach (for mages) aren't too important here even though they're really strong in BG2. Best wishes and good luck!

• DJKajuruDJKajuru Member Posts: 3,300
    McClandish wrote: »
    The more I think about it, I really think I should add a Druid. Two choices:
    1 - 1/2E Cl/Mage - will my bard be enough of a magic user?
    2 - Dwarven Defender - I would really be worried about front line strength - leaves only the Paladin while my gnome Cl/Th will stay in armor and will really be used just for detecting/removing traps.

1- Regarding Mages and the like I'd say "the more the merrier" because arcane magic in AD&D covers damage, protection, buffs and summons. In other words a single bard isn't able to fill all those roles, but it doesn't that he can't perform one of those well. My advice is that you should stock up on potions that make your fighters more powerful (potion of speed, potion of invulnerability etc) so they won't depend on mages that much when facing hordes and the like.

2-You can have just one man-at-arms as long as you're able to buff him like hell. Use the right potions and cast the right spells before tough fights.
  • RawrbarianRawrbarian Member Posts: 40
    edited May 2020
    McClandish:

My first group in vanilla had two Cleric/Mages. I gave summoning spells to one and offense to the other. I gave them both a mixture of defensive and utility spells. Good versatility, but couldn't wear any armor so that hurt a lot. Once they got targeted, a lot of healing when to them.

My VERY first group had 1 Paladin, 1 Ranger, and 1 Fighter as my meat shields. But I noticed that the Paladin got targeted more, even when I removed him from the lead. So I immediately scrapped that group and went with 3 Paladins up front. Best idea I had. They can use any weapon and wear any armor. They have Lay on Hands (instant healing, great level 10+) and Cure Disease. Plus, later levels they can cast Cleric spells. Yes they are low level spells, but everything helps out in the end.

To round up the party, a Fighter/Thief. Boom. Worked like a charm.

I did that as my first playthrough with EE as well, then HoW, and TotLM at the end. Now, I am messing around with all kinds of wacky ideas for different parties, using kits and new classes. I really want to fit in a Shaman now that I have made a few groups that would benefit from the Archer.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    Keeping in mind the OP's general themes, I'd do something like:

Solid frontliner - Gnome fighter/illusionist (best helm in game is only usable by melee gnome or halfling)
    Holy warrior - Human berserker/cleric dual
    Archer - Elf archer
    Thief - Half-elf fighter/mage/thief
    Utility caster - Half-elf fighter/mage/cleric or fighter/druid (player's choice)
    Mage - Sorcerer or bard (player's choice)