Skip to content

[REQUEST] BG2 EE - Mordenkainen's Sword Mod

AvanadeAvanade Member Posts: 6
edited May 2020 in BGII:EE Mods
Hi there,

Wondering if it's possible for someone here to create a mod that will port the IceWind Dale version of Mordenkainen's Sword spell into Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition?

Specifications:
1.) This spell will NOT replace the current Mordenkainen's Sword in BG2, this will be an additional level 7 arcane spell
2.) Change the name of the spell to either "Mordenkainen's Force Sword" or "Mordenkainen's Force Blade" to remove confusion from the current existing spell in BG2
3.) Spellbook: Arcane
4.) School: Evocation
5.) Level: 7
6.) Casting Time: 7
7.) Duration: 1 round /level
8.) Range: Visual range of the caster
9.) Area of Effect: Special
10.) Saving Throw: None
11.) Has the animation of Mordenkainen's Sword on-hit attack from IceWind Dale when hitting enemies (magical sword animation)
12.) Damage Rolls: 5d6 Slashing
13.) Considered as a +4 weapon

Specs 3 to 12 are taken from IceWind Dale's wiki so they are the default specs. Specs 1, 2 and 13 are new (by default it was just a +2; this mod enhances it to +4).

You can also use the description of the spell from the wiki link above however, a slight modification since it's now a +4 weapon:

This spell summons a shimmering sword of force that can be mentally wielded by the caster. It strikes as if it were being used by a Fighter at half the level of the caster, and despite the fact it is held in the hand, it can hit creatures anywhere within the sight of the caster. Although the sword has no bonus to attack, it can hit creatures normally hit only by +4 weapons or lower and inflicts 5d6 points of slashing damage with every strike.

Please let me know if there are any questions / concerns.

Thank you!

EDIT: Attaching the files here for those who do not want to read the thread (vanilla and enhanced spell versions); check the README in the files for the instructions and credits.
Post edited by Avanade on

Comments

• evildevil97evildevil97 Member Posts: 93
    That might be in SCS's IWD spell selection. There's definitely a Mordenkainen's Force Blade spell there.
  • AvanadeAvanade Member Posts: 6
    That might be in SCS's IWD spell selection. There's definitely a Mordenkainen's Force Blade spell there.

I did try to install it though I only wanted the Mordenkainen's Force Blade not ALL of the other IWD spells plus modifying the existing emotion spells.

I tried to copy some of the files and placed it in my override folder after I uninstalled SCS but the game keeps on crashing. I think I'm missing other files unfortunately:
    7i5631en0zth.png

If someone can point me to the right track here or let me know all the files associated with Mordenkainen's Force Blade (spell code: SPWI726) in SCS that would be great.
  • DavidWDavidW Member Posts: 823
    It's a little more complicated than that, unfortunately- you also have to add the 'Mordenkainen's Force Blade' string into the dialog file.
    DavidW wrote: »
    It's a little more complicated than that, unfortunately- you also have to add the 'Mordenkainen's Force Blade' string into the dialog file.

Hi David, oh so it's not as easy as copying the files from the override folder when the SCS v32 was installed? I was going for the minimum viable product (without modifying the desc, not making it +4 anymore...) and just wanted a Mordenkainen's Force Blade spell which does not include the other IWD spells in BG2 EE.

Hopefully there's an easier way to just copy the spell files into the override folder and it's visual effects since I won't be modifying the default spell's enchantment and description anymore.
  • LandonLandon Member Posts: 14
    edited May 2020
    You just want the spell ported over and made +4? If that's the case, you need to extract these files from IWD:

#EFF_E01.WAV
    ENCHAH.BAM
    ENCHA.WC
    IMSWORD.BAM
    MSWORD.ITM
    SPWI716.SPL (rename)

Put all of these in BG2 override. Edit MSWORD.ITM and change enchantment from 2 to 4.

In Near Infinity:

1. Tools -> Check -> For Unused strings.
    2. Pick two empty strings
    3. Update StringRef under spell name (renamed SPWI716.SPL) to one of the empty strings (Edit it, put description, save - make sure EEKEEPER is closed when you do this) - also make sure you add the flag "has text"
    4. Repeat number 3 for the spell description using an empty string.
    5. Save the spell
    6. Add the custom spell to PC or whoever in EEKEEPER.

That should work I think.
    Landon wrote: »
    You just want the spell ported over and made +4? If that's the case, you need to extract these files from IWD:

#EFF_E01.WAV
    ENCHAH.BAM
    ENCHA.WC
    IMSWORD.BAM
    MSWORD.ITM
    SPWI716.SPL (rename)

Put all of these in BG2 override. Edit MSWORD.ITM and change enchantment from 2 to 4.

In Near Infinity:

1. Tools -> Check -> For Unused strings.
    2. Pick two empty strings
    3. Update StringRef under spell name (renamed SPWI716.SPL) to one of the empty strings (Edit it, put description, save - make sure EEKEEPER is closed when you do this) - also make sure you add the flag "has text"
    4. Repeat number 3 for the spell description using an empty string.
    5. Save the spell
    6. Add the custom spell to PC or whoever in EEKEEPER.

That should work I think.

Thank you Landon, that worked! I copied over the files that you mentioned from SCS v32 when it's installed (as DavidW named the spell as Mordenkainen's Force Blade) and then uninstalled all the spells so only this IceWind Dale spell is existing in my game:
    ca5j37c1d65k.png

The spell still does NOT have a +4 enchantment but I'll modify that once I install and understand how "Near Infinity" works as I am a noob in modding (probably need to add bonus to attack as this sword as a mage cannot hit well with it).

I am attaching the files for anyone who would like to have Mordenkainen's Force Blade in BG2: EE as an additional spell and not replace Mordenkainen's Sword, the summon spell.

Credits and big thanks goes to DavidW as he was the one who extracted this in IWD, ported it using SCS v32 and then renamed the spell. He made it possible to see that cool sword spell in IWD to be in BG2 as I always wanted to use that spell in the game since my early gaming days.

Big thanks to Landon who pointed me to the files that I just need to copy to get the spell. Might need to learn more about Near Infinity if I want to customize it with +4, modify the desc of the spell and add a bonus to attack but really thankful for pointing me in the right direction.
    edited May 2020
    Here is the updated version of the Mordenkainen's Force Blade with the following:
    <EDITED and reattached enhanced version>
    - Enchantment + 4
    - To hit + 5
    - Damage bonus + 4
    - THAC0 modified to be based on level of a fighter equal to caster's level (not half)

I'm attaching the enhanced version and the vanilla version. Again, all credits goes to DavidW for extracting the spell into BG2 port. And thanks to Landon for the fast tutorial on how to modify the enhancement and which files to use.

Post edited by Avanade on