Skip to content

Tactic in dragons eye 2nd level insane

Hi there!
Im playing iwdee from 8-10 years, but very rarely. Most i played core or hard difficulty so now i want some challenge.
I start playing insane but without the more xp rule. Its so hard first but doable. But the fukin trolls are just more than hard. They are 8-10 in groups with spiders, hit hard and my 6 player party is seroiusly underleveled.
Are there any tactic for that ? I use the basic iwdee party.

Comments

• inethineth Member Posts: 707
    edited May 2020
    I've long said that this is the hardest level of the game...

To fight the group of spiders and trolls in the top-right part of the map, you can use the nearby tunnel opening as a choke point:

oj6QCMk.jpg

Set up a front line of your most heavily armored warriors at the choke point, and cast Grease in front of it to slow the enemies down as they come.

Use a ranged attack on the nearest monster behind the choke point, to cause the whole group of monsters to walk towards you.

Once the monsters start to form a crowd in the Grease area of effect, throw everything you've got at them - mage AoE bombs (Snilloc's Snowball Swarm, Skull Trap), druid AoE stationary effects (Spike Growth), cleric AoE debuffs, missile weapons, etc.

Whenever two or more trolls are down, finish them off by throwing a Potion of Fiery Burning.

If your front-line warriors are getting clobbered, cast summoning spells to help hold the line.

---

This tactic can also be used against the trolls and priests in the bottom-left part of the map.

The trolls in the top-left part of the map are a bigger problem, because there are no choke-points here and they can easily swarm you. I can offer no fool-proof strategy here - just advance slowly (using Hide in Shadows) and try to draw as few of them as possible into a fight at the same time, and "wing it" using tactical retreats and kiting and whatever you have at your disposal to keep them away from your weaker party members.

Don't forget to use buff spells like Mirror Image, and whatever class and kit abilities your characters have.

If you've hoarded any single-use items (buff potions / wands / scrolls), use them all up on this map.
    Because if you won't even use them here, you'll probably never use them.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    Thanks @ineth :) yes the choke point worked finally. Also i created a new party, 4 paladins, 2 cavalier, 1 undead hunter and an inquisitor. They smash everything and with shield and high ac, they can solve the trolls with burning potions. But this is the hardest on the whole series i think, the trolls are strong and hard to kill, and in insane they are numerous.
  • RawrbarianRawrbarian Member Posts: 40
    Danacm:

Insane? Dang, that is insane, I thought Core Rules was bad enough. I bet you use the Heart of Fury option as well?

I use narrow areas as much as I can, even if I have to keep 5 of my party members on the other side of the map. I would use my strongest summoner or range character to lure them to my party. Of course I try to weaken them as much as I can until the rest of my party can join in on the action.

The biggest problem is the forced dialog parts that require your whole party to be there and they either surround you or there are just a ton of them. If I can, I will retreat my whole party to a more manageable location on the map. If I cant, then I just duke it out the best that I can. Reload to try out a different tactic.
  • Djasko_AmsterdamDjasko_Amsterdam Member Posts: 47
    edited May 2020
    Grease (arcane), entangle (druidic) and web (arcane) work nicely against big groups of enemies. Just make sure your melee chars arent in the area or have free action active on them if you do send them in.
  • DanacmDanacm Member Posts: 951
    Grease (arcane), entangle (druidic) and web (arcane) work nicely against big groups of enemies. Just make sure your melee chars arent in the area or have free action active on them if you do send them in.

There is not easy to land these spells in some areas of that level. And the horde of trolls and spiders have huge hp to kill them fast until the spells up.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    for this fight what i usually do is kill off some spiders and a troll or 3 and then go back and rest in the lizard man cave area

then i come back to this troll cave, kill some spiders a troll or 2 or 3 and rinse lather repeat

its cheap and dirty, but so is fighting this madness with a level 6 or 7 team
  • RawrbarianRawrbarian Member Posts: 40
    I do that through out the whole game. Sometimes I don't even bother to exhaust my heals first. Even on Core Rules, some of the fights around L 5-7 are just wrong. Of course the best tactic is to peel the onion slowly. It's no where near as much fun as charging in full smash mouth with range on range or casters, but it saves on sanity.
  • SirBatinceSirBatince Member Posts: 882
    there are a few choke spots in the map where there's only room for one or two monsters at a time. In my opinion the stun beetles are far worse than trolls.

Also use Everain's fire/acid arrows on level 1 even if you have no proficiency at bows.
  • Djasko_AmsterdamDjasko_Amsterdam Member Posts: 47
    edited May 2020
    Danacm wrote: »

There is not easy to land these spells in some areas of that level. And the horde of trolls and spiders have huge hp to kill them fast until the spells up.

Grease would be useful in the beginning to allow for some ranged damage before the enemies reach you. Entangle and Web remain useful, if you kill the enemy frontline, you can reduce the damage your tank takes by waiting to engage in melee, while your ranged characters dish out more dmg, in the case of entangle. Anyone who is webbed and closeby is a valid safe target for your tank and melees... but you need free action. As for spell duration, its as simple as memorizing multiple spells so you can recast them when the previous one(s) end.
  • sarevok57sarevok57 Member Posts: 5,975
    Danacm wrote: »

Grease would be useful in the beginning to allow for some ranged damage before the enemies reach you. Entangle and Web remain useful, if you kill the enemy frontline, you can reduce the damage your tank takes by waiting to engage in melee, while your ranged characters dish out more dmg, in the case of entangle. Anyone who is webbed and closeby is a valid safe target for your tank and melees... but you need free action. As for spell duration, its as simple as memorizing multiple spells so you can recast them when the previous one(s) end.

you might not actually need the spell free action;
    if you have at least 50% pick pocket skill you can pick pocket a ring of free action from orrick and druid dude in kuldahar, and i believe gnome holmes has a ring of pro +2 you can pick pocket as well