Skip to content

PC Vampire Bat Form

LandonLandon Member Posts: 14
Hi all. I was wondering if I could get some help from the community. I'll start out by saying I know a lot of you hate the idea of a PC vampire. I've also seen others who would enjoy a PC vampire, such as myself.

I have been able to build the PC into a vampire using 2E descriptions of them. I even managed to get her vulnerable to sunlight although it doesn't work as I expected (she turns into a bat - i'd rather her take lethal damage or turn into mist). She otherwise has all of the vulnerabilities and resistances of a vampire. Using the invisible vampire items has helped me gimp her a little more by consuming two item slots permanently (I don't want her to be super OP). She is classified as an undead and should be able to be turned (but I'm not sure if any NPCs utilize turn undead).

I'm not sure if I should go cleric/thief or thief/mage. I want her to be a necromancer type of build, although probably thief/mage since vampires should be fairly intelligent. Otherwise I have to gimp intelligence for wisdom.

Anyway, I'm getting off-track. I'd like to give her some of the vampiric abilities such as bat form. I successfully created a polymorph ability for her that turns her into a bat. However, once she changes, she is booted from the party and becomes an NPC bat that I can no longer control. Does anyone know any way around this?

I've tried simulating polymorph spells by using the vampbat.cre as the resource, but with no luck. The only way I've been successful is to use the replace self effect, which I assume is the root of my problem. Any help would be appreciated and thanks in advance for any replies.

p.s. Same thing happens when she is exposed to sunlight. Bat form then booted. If there is a way around that, it would be nice too, but I can deal with that with a cloak I created for her if not. I mainly want the ability to work.

Comments

• LandonLandon Member Posts: 14
    I was able to fix it so I can shapechange into a bat and even added a cool effect so it changes my portrait when I do so. https://i.imgur.com/VcIOLEs.jpg

Which is pretty awesome. Problem is, I dunno how to get it to change back once I shapeshift back to normal form. Anyone have any idea how to do this?
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    I tried tinkering a bit, attaching a portrait change to an existing polymorph weapon ... nope. "While Equipped" timing doesn't work for the portrait change opcode, presumably because when the game changes a portrait it doesn't have any intrinsic way of remembering what the portrait was changed from.

So, then, you'll have to create portrait change effects in both directions - one to attach to the ability that changes you into a bat, one to attach to the ability that returns you to natural form. I presume you have an intended portrait for your character? Well, you'll have to stick with it, because that'll be coded into the abilities you're making here.

By the way ... the necromancer kit has a minimum wisdom requirement of 16. Did you intend an illegal build for this character?
    jmerry wrote: »
    I tried tinkering a bit, attaching a portrait change to an existing polymorph weapon ... nope. "While Equipped" timing doesn't work for the portrait change opcode, presumably because when the game changes a portrait it doesn't have any intrinsic way of remembering what the portrait was changed from.

So, then, you'll have to create portrait change effects in both directions - one to attach to the ability that changes you into a bat, one to attach to the ability that returns you to natural form. I presume you have an intended portrait for your character? Well, you'll have to stick with it, because that'll be coded into the abilities you're making here.

By the way ... the necromancer kit has a minimum wisdom requirement of 16. Did you intend an illegal build for this character?

It's just a test character while I build her abilities / spells. Ultimately I will make her a custom kit with 17 18 15 17 9 8 stats (she will be a mage / thief type). I'm creating all custom abilities and spells for her to use as a vampire. Trying to do it in a way that is still balanced.

I'm adding necromancer type spells (like summon zombies / ghouls / mummies at high level, as well as some shadows). I didn't realize the min requirement for necros so I may have to figure out a better stat layout. Maybe lower dex and con a bit to get the wisdom requirement. Being a custom kit, I dunno if it will matter too much, but I'd like to stick as close to the rules as I can.

Also, your advice worked! TYSM! I had to add another portrait change to the shapeshift natural form spell.
  • jmerryjmerry Member Posts: 3,829
    On character stats...

There is precedent for illegal builds that don't have the stats for their classes, in the form of both Minsc and Anomen; they lack the wisdom required for a ranger or dual x-cleric respectively. The game won't give you any trouble for not meeting the necromancer requirements, as those are only ever checked when creating or dual-classing a character. If you feel like rationalizing the kit to be that your character comes by their necromantic abilities through being undead rather than through deep understanding, feel free to do that.
    That, or you could just give them extra stat points. It's not like wisdom does much of anything for a non-priest, so it wouldn't change game balance significantly.
    jmerry wrote: »
    On character stats...

There is precedent for illegal builds that don't have the stats for their classes, in the form of both Minsc and Anomen; they lack the wisdom required for a ranger or dual x-cleric respectively. The game won't give you any trouble for not meeting the necromancer requirements, as those are only ever checked when creating or dual-classing a character. If you feel like rationalizing the kit to be that your character comes by their necromantic abilities through being undead rather than through deep understanding, feel free to do that.
    That, or you could just give them extra stat points. It's not like wisdom does much of anything for a non-priest, so it wouldn't change game balance significantly.

Good point. That's actually a nice way to rationalize it. I wasn't looking forward to altering the stats. I was happy with these :p

Thanks again for your help. I was worried I wouldnt get this bat form right. Not like it's powerful, but for the rp.
  • BladesBlades Member Posts: 167
    Turning this kit into a playable kit mod??