Skip to content

Why can't my Human Kensai Dual-Class?

I want him to dual-class as a thief, his Alighnment is: Nutreal Good, and his stats are 25 str, 18 dex, 18con, 15 int, 15 wisdom, and 18 charisma. What am I doing wrong

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,305
    Is he more than level 1?
  • 20884322088432 Member Posts: 229
    He is level 13... I've raised a kensai/thief before and neve ran into this...
    Should I restart the game?
    edited May 2020
    Are all your stats natural - temporary and item based increases don't count for the purpose of dual-classing?
    Yes, they are all-natural... I did install a mod but I have been able to use kensai/thief since then
    I'm stumped then I'm afraid. Assuming he is actually human and is neutral (not lawful) good, I can't see why you shouldn't be able to dual-class. It's probably worth though saving and reloading to check if that makes a difference. Sometimes when scripts are running (like someone wanting to talk to you), that can disrupt other actions.
    sarevok57
  • StummvonBordwehrStummvonBordwehr Member, Mobile Tester Posts: 1,343
    How about the 25 str? A prerequisite for dual classing is 17 in your main stat, which is strength.

If you have reached the 25 str by using story mode or something similar, you can’t dual class.

And since you can only dual class into a thief with the other stats it’s important that the alignment is neutral and not lawful - but since you already wrote that it was NG, it can’t be the culprit I guess
    I am not recieving them through story mode.
    Also, I have played story mode before with a risky build and this hasn't happened.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited May 2020
    In the vanilla game, I can confirm that dualing from kensai to thief is no problem with the stats described by the OP. Most likely there's unacknowledged user error with the race/alignment of the character, or else it's a mod issue.
    Post edited by jsaving on
    It seems just conceivable there's a problem as a result of the 25 strength. In the vanilla game characteristics for stats could wrap around between 25 and 0 - a favorite exploit was to reduce permanent charisma below 0, while keeping it temporarily high with the ring of human influence to prevent you dying when it reached 0.

Beamdog have patched this behavior so that stats no longer wrap around, but I don't know how this has been done. If the engine is treating stats above 25 as if they are 25, that could explain the inability to dual - if the game is checking for strength of 15 or more, it may not recognize a score of more than 25 as meeting this.
    StummvonBordwehrgorgonzola
    Grond0 wrote: »
    It seems just conceivable there's a problem as a result of the 25 strength. In the vanilla game characteristics for stats could wrap around between 25 and 0 - a favorite exploit was to reduce permanent charisma below 0, while keeping it temporarily high with the ring of human influence to prevent you from dying when it reached 0.

Beamdog has patched this behavior so that stats no longer wrap around, but I don't know how this has been done. If the engine is treating stats above 25 as if they are 25, that could explain the inability to dual - if the game is checking for the strength of 15 or more, it may not recognize a score of more than 25 as meeting this.

I use the ring of human influence so I could spend my attributes on other things (seeing as how that ring is right in the middle of the game and all), so that's my problem?
    2088432 wrote: »
    Grond0 wrote: »
    It seems just conceivable there's a problem as a result of the 25 strength. In the vanilla game characteristics for stats could wrap around between 25 and 0 - a favorite exploit was to reduce permanent charisma below 0, while keeping it temporarily high with the ring of human influence to prevent you from dying when it reached 0.

Beamdog has patched this behavior so that stats no longer wrap around, but I don't know how this has been done. If the engine is treating stats above 25 as if they are 25, that could explain the inability to dual - if the game is checking for the strength of 15 or more, it may not recognize a score of more than 25 as meeting this.

I use the ring of human influence so I could spend my attributes on other things (seeing as how that ring is right in the middle of the game and all), so that's my problem?

Not in this case. The requirements to dual from kensai to thief are to have strength of 15 and dexterity of 17. I was just referring to that ring as an example of how problems might have resulted depending on the method you used to make strength 25.
    StummvonBordwehr
    Then what gives... ;( I am using a mod but it hasn't caused problems before.
  • gorgonzolagorgonzola Member Posts: 3,864
    try to EEkeeper or console your str to 24 and dual, then if it works you can give back the 25 str (but is really necessary to have 25 str to beat the game? ;) ) as once you have obtained the second class the only check on leveling up should be if it is or is not +1 level compared to the first to reactivate the first one, but no more stat checks should happen.

if @Grond0 is right this simple thing should solve your problem, other way the origin of the problem is not the 25 str.
  • jsavingjsaving Member Posts: 1,083
    edited May 2020
    Hope that's the issue!
    Post edited by jsaving on
    edited May 2020
    How about the 25 str? A prerequisite for dual classing is 17 in your main stat, which is strength.

If you have reached the 25 str by using story mode or something similar, you can’t dual-class.

And since you can only dual-class into a thief with the other stats it’s important that the alignment is neutral and not lawful - but since you already wrote that it was NG, it can’t be the culprit I guess

I would agree with you but... I've used story mode before when my hard drive crashed and it worked then lol...

Edit: I had to restart the game with is why I'm using story mode... I'm not a coward lol.
  • ThacoBellThacoBell Member Posts: 12,235
    2088432 wrote: »

If you have reached the 25 str by using story mode or something similar, you can’t dual-class.

And since you can only dual-class into a thief with the other stats it’s important that the alignment is neutral and not lawful - but since you already wrote that it was NG, it can’t be the culprit I guess

I would agree with you but... I've used story mode before when my hard drive crashed and it worked then lol...

Edit: I had to restart the game with is why I'm using story mode... I'm not a coward lol.

Nothing cowardly about wanting to relax and enjoy the game. No gaming elitism here ;)
    StummvonBordwehrgorgonzola
    Ammar wrote: »
    Just a stab in the dark, but do you have Tweaks Anthology components installed? I have seen people install the "Alter Dual-class Restrictions" component with the "Change both" option by mistake. That allows non-humans to multiclass and prohibits it for humans.

Otherwise alignment would have been my first guess though, but neutral good is fine for thieves.

I do have the Tweaks Anthology installed... I shall reinstall thank you.