Skip to content

[Bug?] [Multiplayer] Enemies continue attacking during pause

BettaGeorgeBettaGeorge Member Posts: 12
Note: I am not talking about the multiplayer pause-lock bug. This is a separate issue on which a Google search has yielded nothing for me.

I just started a multiplayer run with one other player on the newest Steam version (2.5.17.0) without SoD. Encountered the first assassin in Candlekeep, finished the dialogue, game successfully autopaused upon him turning hostile.

I proceeded to ignore the screen to talk to my buddy, until suddenly my character was dead. Turns out the assassin kept attacking even though the game was paused for both me and my friend (as in, grayed out, no animations, no movement).

Is this a bug other people have encountered? This is the first time I've tried multiplayer since the EE came out, but I do not remember that ever happening back in the old days.

In case it matters, we both have permission to pause/unpause the game, and pausing/unpausing manually works just fine.

Sadly (or luckily), we have not been able to reproduce this consistently with other enemies. It just happens from time to time.

Comments

• Grond0Grond0 Member Posts: 7,318
    It's a consequence of a relatively poor internet connection. The way the multiplayer function works is asynchronous, i.e. you don't get exactly the same things happening at the same time on different computers. With a good connection the game will adjust for slight differences between machines quickly, so that it's normally not too obvious that there are differences between machines. However, when the connection is more marginal those differences do become obvious - resulting in things like one player being paused while the other is not, attacks showing on your machine as successful, but no damage showing and icons suddenly jumping on your screen as your computer processes what's happening on another one.
  • BettaGeorgeBettaGeorge Member Posts: 12
    Grond0 wrote: »
    It's a consequence of a relatively poor internet connection. The way the multiplayer function works is asynchronous, i.e. you don't get exactly the same things happening at the same time on different computers. With a good connection the game will adjust for slight differences between machines quickly, so that it's normally not too obvious that there are differences between machines. However, when the connection is more marginal those differences do become obvious - resulting in things like one player being paused while the other is not, attacks showing on your machine as successful, but no damage showing and icons suddenly jumping on your screen as your computer processes what's happening on another one.

That's what I thought at first, but both our internet connections are way better than what I used to have back in the day. Also, pausing and unpausing works instantaneously, it's just the autopause that has a tendency to kill people.