Skip to content

Overriding .2das is not working

I want to do some general adjustments in spells, feats and weapons, and want them to take effect in every module. I know that if a module has a hak containing the files I will edit (as spells.2da), the hak will override the edited file, but te idea here is to make these adjustments as the default to be used by the game.

As far as I know, the ideal way to do this is to place the edited files in override folder. However, I have done this and the contents of the 2das in the override folder do not take effect in the game. I have placed the files in both override folders, the one in Documents and the on in the game folder.

I tested in a custom module, where there are no hak packs and the changes in the files in override wont take effect in game. The only way to make them take effect in game is to put the files in a hak and make the module use this hak.

I am also using project Q, but as far as I know, since it is applied as a patch, its contents are applied first, so the contents of override folder have precedence over the patch.

Note that I have files in the override folder and they work! But these 2das that I am testing (spells.2da and baseitems.2da) wont work.

Given this, I was expecting the game was applying some hak over the override, and, thus, I also modified the baseitems.2da in the haks in the hak folder of the game directory, but it also did not work (but here I tested in the NWN campaing (the first one), chapter 2).

So, what is the problem?

Comments

• Old_GithOld_Gith Member Posts: 152
    Try placing in your Development Folder instead. I believe Override has taken a backseat to everything else. But don't quote me on that because there is not a definitive list of all the changes.
  • StephanoStephano Member Posts: 3
    Where is this Development Folder?
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    If you ctrl-shift-f12 in game, then select Resman, you can see the resource hierarchy, which tells you exactly what trumps what.

The clean way to override a 2DA is to put it in a module hak, so it doesn't conflict with other people's modules.

Development is the highest possible override, but it's only suitable for testing stuff temporarily, not for distribution.
  • StephanoStephano Member Posts: 3
    Proleric wrote: »
    If you ctrl-shift-f12 in game, then select Resman, you can see the resource hierarchy, which tells you exactly what trumps what.

The clean way to override a 2DA is to put it in a module hak, so it doesn't conflict with other people's modules.

Development is the highest possible override, but it's only suitable for testing stuff temporarily, not for distribution.

What is this Development override? Is it related to nwn_base.key?
    If so, how can I modify content in this file? I am able to open it using nwnexplore but I cant import stuff.
  • ProlericProleric Member Posts: 1,281
    Development is a subfolder you can create in Documents, like override or hak.

All user content files (saves and mods) go in Documents, not in the game source folders, as described here:
    https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1309774090

The development folder is not mentioned there because nothing should be installed there permanently.
  • TorvaelTorvael Member Posts: 1
    I'm having a similar problem. To be precise, I wanted to be able to wield a spear and a shield, so I placed a slightly altered baseitems.2da in Documents\Neverwinter Nights\override, changing the WeaponWield field from "4" to "****".

Like Stephano, when I play the game, it seems the 2da does not override, at least not completely. In my case, while the character can equip both shield and spear, the spear animations remain the same, using both hands.

Here's the peculiar bit: if I don't open the game through the Steam client, there is no issue and the character equips the shield and the spear, wielding the latter one-handed. I thought it might be due to some haks I was subscribed to from the Workshop, but I unsubscribed from anything animation or weapon related.

I will try what has been suggested, but my knowledge is quite limited, so I'm sharing this in the hope that others more experienced can gain further insight and perhaps find what is causing this.