Skip to content

[MOD] Trials of the Luremaster for BG2:EE

Comments

• Mantis37Mantis37 Member Posts: 1,173
    edited November 2019
    Thanks for the fine work. A question if I may.... In my BG1 install I installed Spell Revisions, which causes SCS to skip the installation of Icewind Dale spells. When I install BG2 will it be possible to use Spell Revisions, SCS, and Luremaster together?
  • argent77argent77 Member Posts: 3,431
    The problem is that all three mods - SR, SCS and TotLM - install (more or less) the same set or subset of IWD spells. From what I've read the safest way is to install the IWD spells component from either SR or SCS first. Afterwards install TotLM and skip the optional subcomponent "Make IWD spells available to the player".
    AaeightAngulimala
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2020
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
    evildevil97
  • gattberserkgattberserk Member Posts: 190
    Can I suggest to do one TOTL mod at the end of SOD as well?

The SOD end XP capped at 500K XP, which is the starting XP of HOW / TOTL. Also the SOD items are as OP as BG2 items, making it alot more challenging and relevant from SOD context.
    StummvonBordwehr
    I don't know how hard it would be to add SoD support.

However, I think the mod doesn't really fit into SoD from a balance standpoint. The adventure gives you access to powerful equipment that is overpowered even for BG2-SoA standards. The experience gain is also considerable (especially if you removed the XP limit). It would probably make more sense to make it accessible from ToB instead.
    After taking a look at the code I think it's not too difficult to add alternate starting points for the adventure to the mod. The loot would still be rather overpowered for SoD though, since it includes several +4 weapons and similarly powerful equipment and spells.
    StummvonBordwehr
  • CahirCahir Member, Moderator, Translator (NDA) Posts: 2,819
    Hi @argent77

I have encountered an install with warning error while doing EET installation using Project Infinity.

Attached debug file and WeiDU logs.

Is it harmless? If not, how to fix it?
    It's a harmless message from the CLONE_EFFECT function. It merely indicates that an effect isn't applied to a spell (probably because it was already added by another mod).
    CahirAaeby
    argent77 wrote: »
    It's a harmless message from the CLONE_EFFECT function. It merely indicates that an effect isn't applied to a spell (probably because it was already added by another mod).

Thanks, I was suspecting that might be the case, just wanted to be sure.
    Cahir wrote: »

Thanks, I was suspecting that might be the case, just wanted to be sure.

@argent77 actually is it possible for you to fix this somehow in the next version (by supressing the warning message or something)? It would be a benefit for Project Infinity users, allowing them to avoid unnecessery clicking un-pause insttalation after this error shows up. It's a nitpick I now, but this stops installation in the middle and requires manual intervention.
  • GwendolyneGwendolyne Member Posts: 461
    Before next version's release, you can add this parameter to all CLONE_EFFECT functions : "silent = 1". ;)
    I can probably do it for this particular warning. However, in general warnings exist for a good reason. They can help to pinpoint potential issues or notify about unexpected results. Apart from that they are not fatal. Mods will usually work fine even if installed with warnings. If warnings break the flow of the mod manager then I'd strongly suggest to improve the situation there.

As @Gwendolyne suggested, you can fix the situation locally by adding the INT_VAR parameter "silent = 1" to the CLONE_EFFECT function. It can be found somewhere in "lib/spell.tph".
    I can probably do it for this particular warning. However, in general warnings exist for a good reason. They can help to pinpoint potential issues or notify about unexpected results. Apart from that they are not fatal. Mods will usually work fine even if installed with warnings. If warnings break the flow of the mod manager then I'd strongly suggest to improve the situation there.

As @Gwendolyne suggested, you can fix the situation locally by adding the INT_VAR parameter "silent = 1" to the CLONE_EFFECT function. It can be found somewhere in "lib/spell.tph".

Ok, thank you guys. That's indeed a solution. @ALIEN is there a chance you could add an option for PI to continue installation without pausing whenever an Installed with warnings message pops up? As @argent77 said those warnings are for a reason, that's why I suggest to implement it as an option (i.e to turn it on/off in Settings).
  • ALIENALIEN Member Posts: 1,270
    @Cahir As I told you before at G3, this will be handled by PI.
    Hullo. This problem may not be exactly the fault of this mod but... on an Android installation I am finding revenants to be extremely difficult to kill- fire still does damage to them at near death but they don’t properly die. Some vorpal / slay effects will work however. I have encountered a similar problem before with the Blizzard trolls at the Throne on separate Android installations.
    Revenants should behave similarly to trolls. From what I can see in the creature data once their HP goes below 10 it will trigger the "fall-over" sequence and make them vulnerable to fire damage. The trigger seems to be called about once per round (or less if the creature is slowed), so you'll have to continue dealing damage (to counter HP regeneration). When the creature lies down you have about 40 seconds to kill it with fire before you have to start over.
    StummvonBordwehrMantis37
    edited May 2020
    Unfortunately in my installation they never fall over...even if Godbowed... but that’s likely due to something weird in my installation rather than anything that your mod is the source of. I’ll just have to instakill them by other means for now! Finger of Death seems to do the trick...
    Post edited by Mantis37 on
  • RamzaRamza Member Posts: 112
    Greetings.
    I just finished playing through this mod at the end of Chapter 2 in BG2, with a full party around level 12 going in, and I have some thoughts about balancing. While I was able to complete it, it was with a large amount of quick save/reload cheating, so it wasn't a great experience overall.

Harpies are way too hard. I recall from playing this in IWD back in the dale, that they do have a fear aura, which can be mitigated by Remove Fear, or a similar spell, but I don't recall a stun gaze attack, and it seems like this stun cannot be resisted and has no save? I tried entering the mod multiple times but was absolutely destroyed by the harpies in the opening fight as they'd stun one or more of my party members and then eat them for breakfast. Two (or three towards the end) of my party members had rings of free action on, but that didn't stop the stun, nor did the free action spell. Perhaps the stun on the harpies should be changed to a similar effect that can properly be resisted? It almost hurt to finally win this fight to see how little experience these monsters were worth.

Those spectral guard guys in the inside of the keep are also way too powerful for the low amount of experience they give. I had AC -14 or -15 and basically couldn't not be hit by them twice per round. If I ended up fighting more than a couple of them at a time it was certain that someone was going to die. Doesn't help that there are multiple points where you can set off a huge spawn of a half-dozen of them or more too.

The dire bear cave, as well, is a complete nightmare. Those bears do 30+ damage per melee hit and their THAC0 is off the charts. Again, even popping defensive harmony, and barkskin, on a base AC of -14 I couldn't not be hit by them, and I found the only way to survive was to continuously leave the room and come back, picking away at one or two until the room was manageable. I ended up doing the same with the harpy cave later, but it was much more difficult.

The were-jackal cave was probably about what I'd expect the difficulty of the whole area to be like. They were able to hit me a decent amount of the time, and their casters were sufficiently annoying, but not spamming level 7 priest spells or level 9 mage spells.

That being said, it appears that unlike in the rest of baldur's gate, and indeed in IWD:EE as well, enemies don't follow you out of doors in here. For me, that worked out, given the difficulty, but that's probably a bug or something that should be looked at.

The room with the olive slimes isn't difficult, only annoying. This is more of a gripe with the original, really, as that was a problem in that as well. Only being able to be damaged by magical damage is not cool, especially when they have as many hit points as they do. Those stone nuisances are the same problem, although technically everyone can use a blunt weapon, their high hp and massive magic missiles makes fighting them for a mere 1000 exp a waste of time. I found myself running past them and grabbing the gemstone and leaving without fighting them instead.

Other enemies, such as the umber hulks or the minotaurs are actually laughably too easy, but still give experience comparative to the spectral guards. For similar experience, these are not the same challenge at all.

The end fight turned out to be pretty easy for me as well. I suppose if I was using a difficulty mod like SCS or the like, it would've been more challenging, but as it was, a rebuke undead allowed Viconia to command one of the fighters, and a quick insect swarm spell took the other mages out of commission. The unfortunate part after was chasing TLM around the room, as as soon as he was spotted, he'd dimension door somewhere else again. I don't recall if that was a problem in the source material or not though.

Overall, I enjoyed it. With some balance tweaks it would be a little better, but to my eyes it is a good port f the original into BG2.
    argent77smeagolheart
    Thank you for the feedback. This adventure is meant to be a challenge. Everything is designed to be a major annoyance for the party. But you have addressed some interesting points that could probably require an overhaul.
    Ramza wrote: »
    Harpies are way too hard. I recall from playing this in IWD back in the dale, that they do have a fear aura, which can be mitigated by Remove Fear, or a similar spell, but I don't recall a stun gaze attack, and it seems like this stun cannot be resisted and has no save?
    The wail of the harpys can cause both panic and stun. Both effects can be saved against, but with a hefty penalty. You're right though, Free Action doesn't appear to protect against their stun effect in BG2 (it merely cures it). I'll see if I can come up with something else.
    Those spectral guard guys in the inside of the keep are also way too powerful for the low amount of experience they give.
    They are basically the same as in IWD. With a good AC or physical protection spectral guards should be manageable as long as you don't get cornered. Afaik, clerics should be able to turn them.
    The dire bear cave, as well, is a complete nightmare. Those bears do 30+ damage per melee hit and their THAC0 is off the charts.
    Afaik, dire bears were the most dangerous melee fighters in IWD with 5 APR and great strength. They are susceptible to disabling effects though (slow, blindness, hold monster, etc).
    That being said, it appears that unlike in the rest of baldur's gate, and indeed in IWD:EE as well, enemies don't follow you out of doors in here.
    Enemies can actually follow you across maps, but not everywhere. I had to fix some transitions since they would have caused some unwanted side effects, otherwise.
    The room with the olive slimes isn't difficult, only annoying. This is more of a gripe with the original, really, as that was a problem in that as well. Only being able to be damaged by magical damage is not cool, especially when they have as many hit points as they do.
    I don't think they are meant to be killed in the first place. Since they move very slowly you have enough time to flee the room. To a lesser degree the same applies to stone nuisances. They are (supposed to) respawn whenever you enter the map, so it's probably best to just endure their magic missile attacks.

I think the overall quest may feel differently in BG2 because of the different setting. BG2 lacks the variety of IWD's cleric or druidic magic which can make a difference. However, the arcane magics in BG2 can counter this disadvantage somewhat, but requires different strategies.
    AedanFlashburnAaemforeverStummvonBordwehr
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Member Posts: 176
    I just tried installing this and while it installed it showed some errors that are a bit different from Cahir's mentioned above.
    [A7-TotLM-BG2EE/bcs/cajsha1m.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 327 column 1-53
    Near Text: )
    [CheckStat] argument [OFFENSIVE_MODIFIER] not found in [Stats.IDS]

[A7-TotLM-BG2EE/bcs/cajsha1m.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 349 column 1-53

[A7-TotLM-BG2EE/bcs/cajsha1m.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 371 column 1-53

[A7-TotLM-BG2EE/bcs/cajsha1m.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 393 column 1-53

[A7-TotLM-BG2EE/bcs/cajsha1m.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 415 column 1-53

[A7-TotLM-BG2EE/bcs/cajsha1m.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 437 column 1-53
    [./override/GTIMES.IDS] loaded, 2065 bytes
    [./override/SPLSTATE.IDS] loaded, 3143 bytes
    override/eftrolg.bcs copied to A7-TotLM-BG2EE/backup/0/eftrolg.bcs, 6 bytes
    override/gnelewtf.bcs copied to A7-TotLM-BG2EE/backup/0/gnelewtf.bcs, 1885 bytes
    override/gnsummm.bcs copied to A7-TotLM-BG2EE/backup/0/gnsummm.bcs, 416 bytes
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [.\lang\en_us\DATA\PATCH2.BIF]
    BIFF may be in hard-drive CD-path [.\cache\DATA\PATCH2.BIF]
    [.\DATA\PATCH2.BIF] 38454360 bytes, 1005 files, 0 tilesets

[A7-TotLM-BG2EE/bcs/id#glatk.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 118 column 1-48
    [CheckStatGT] argument [DEATH_WARD] not found in [Stats.IDS]

[A7-TotLM-BG2EE/bcs/id#glatk.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 119 column 1-56
    [CheckStatGT] argument [DEFENSIVE_MODIFIER] not found in [Stats.IDS]

[A7-TotLM-BG2EE/bcs/id#glatk.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 120 column 1-55
    [CheckStatGT] argument [STRENGTH_MODIFIER] not found in [Stats.IDS]

[A7-TotLM-BG2EE/bcs/id#glatk.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 166 column 1-48

[A7-TotLM-BG2EE/bcs/id#glatk.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 167 column 1-56

[A7-TotLM-BG2EE/bcs/id#glatk.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 168 column 1-55

[A7-TotLM-BG2EE/bcs/id#glatk.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 214 column 1-48

[A7-TotLM-BG2EE/bcs/id#glatk.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 215 column 1-56

[A7-TotLM-BG2EE/bcs/id#glatk.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 216 column 1-55

[A7-TotLM-BG2EE/bcs/id#glatk.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 262 column 1-48

[A7-TotLM-BG2EE/bcs/id#glatk.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 263 column 1-56

[A7-TotLM-BG2EE/bcs/id#glatk.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 264 column 1-55

[A7-TotLM-BG2EE/bcs/id#glatk.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 310 column 1-48

[A7-TotLM-BG2EE/bcs/id#glatk.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 311 column 1-56

[A7-TotLM-BG2EE/bcs/id#glatk.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 312 column 1-55

[A7-TotLM-BG2EE/bcs/id#glatk.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 358 column 1-48

[A7-TotLM-BG2EE/bcs/id#glatk.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 359 column 1-56

[A7-TotLM-BG2EE/bcs/id#glatk.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 360 column 1-55
    [./override/KIT.IDS] loaded, 1162 bytes

[A7-TotLM-BG2EE/bcs/kelrdmal.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 220 column 1-47

[A7-TotLM-BG2EE/bcs/kelrdmal.baf] PARSE ERROR at line 245 column 1-47

I've attached the full debug file.
    It looks very much like a mod conflict. The mentioned symbolic names are available in the base game, so some mod must have removed them from STATS.IDS.

You can make a change-log of the file to find the potential culprit with the following command:
    weidu --change-log stats.ids

Rename one of your setup-xxx.exe binaries to "weidu.exe" for this, or extract the binary from the archive found here.
    Yeah, I am working on diagnosing now. Possible culprits include

Ascension
    Questpack
    Djinni Companion

I will report back when I figure out which one is causing the problem.
    @Caedwyr It looks like this issue is caused by the Detectable Spells library used by QuestPack. It removes duplicate entries from stats.ids, which are required by this mod though.

I have attached a quick fix. Unpack the file into the "A7-TotLM-BG2EE/lib" folder of the mod.
    Aaemforever
    Awesome. Thanks for the quick fix.
  • deratiseurderatiseur Member Posts: 227
    edited July 2020
    The mod is great, really faithful to the IWD 1.42 patch, even TOO faithful. I'm up against invincible revenants and trolls. None of the solutions proposed above can kill or remove them. However, this was fixed in the IWD fixpack v5. So, WTF?
    And if I make them follow me all the way to the top of the dungeon, then do a ctrl+j to go to the bottom down, well... they chase me and find me. really annoying.
    Post edited by deratiseur on
  • deratiseurderatiseur Member Posts: 227
    Edit : I found a solution : ctrl+Q on these monstrosities to add them to the group, then "change group", release them, they do the dialog to leave the group and disappear.
    @deratiseur I can't reproduce this behavior on my installation. There may be a conflict with another mod. Could you attach the following files from your game installation:
    - REVNANT.CRE
    - CWREVE.ITM
    - CIREVE.ITM
    - CDIWDTR2.SPL
    - and the WeiDU.log

I'd like to take a look. Export the files with NI if they are biffed.
    @Caedwyr It looks like this issue is caused by the Detectable Spells library used by QuestPack. It removes duplicate entries from stats.ids, which are required by this mod though.

I have attached a quick fix. Unpack the file into the "A7-TotLM-BG2EE/lib" folder of the mod.

I still get the "Installed With Warnings" for the first component, but looking through the debug file I don't see any obvious failures. There's a bunch of "NO BACKUP MADE" and other stuff it is doing with some of the resoruces where it copies a file over because things aren't quite as the installer hoped.

In case this is useful, here's my Setup-A7-TOTLM-BG2EE.DEBUG file.