Skip to content

[v1.67] Kale, a Halfling Barbarian for BG:EE, SoD and EET

Comments

• TrancingBearTrancingBear Member Posts: 17
    edited May 2020
    Wow, thanks for the quick reply! If it helps, I could add a few top-level dialog entries to Tazok.dlg so that there are 38 of them. Would that get us past that part of the install to see if another similar issue occurs? Also, FYI, I don't have EET.
  • SkitiaSkitia Member Posts: 1,054
    No worries, I've removed it anyway, just incase the line came from the BG1NPCs mod and for some reason never got removed. (I think I did have that installed a long time ago briefly.) It should be safe to re-download, let me know if it works.

Kale 1.55 Includes:
    -SoD Fixes regarding missing InParty Checks.
    -SoD Fix regarding no experience originally given to Kale when joining in SoD.
    -Fixes in regards to music playing, it can now be overridden by other songs played by my NPCs.
    -Removed Tazok Banter.
    -Fixed cloak from having critical item tag.
    Fina92
  • TrancingBearTrancingBear Member Posts: 17
    That did the trick! Thanks so much!
    edited May 2020
    Really minor update for 1.56:
    -Removed Race Restrictions for SoD Romance (Which were not working correctly anyway, ironically.). As long as your reputation is at a fair level (6 or above), you qualify.
    -Also some file changes didn't make it into 1.55 for some reason, so all of 1.55 changes are now for sure in place.
    Kale's 1.57 update is all crossmod:
    Added 1 Crossmod for Sirene.
    Added 2 Crossmod for Drake.
    Added 2 Crossmod for Aura.
    megamike15Gusinda
  • kiwidockiwidoc Member Posts: 1,437
    Me again ;) Still having a lot of fun with Kale, and planning to run a future game with a female dwarf just to tickle his fancy!

I've come across smething a little puzzling, which contains spoilers
    I've rescued Samuel from his debt, and when he said thanks he also said "take this" However he didn't actually give me anything. Is this supposed to happen?

I'm definitely not making these queries as complaints, but in case they help you spot things that could be fixed.
    Nice Catch. In my old code, Kale's brother gave the item to himself. I fixed it so now he will give the item to the player.

-Stopped Kale's Brother from rewarding himself after you did all the work.

edited May 2020
    Any chance I could import the item? I have no idea if I can update a version of the game as I am playing it. Mind you I'd love to include all the new crossmod stuff.
    You could use EEKEEPER to add it to your party's inventory. It's called X3KREW. Or you can use the console command for creating items, whichever is your cup of tea.
    Thanks muchly :)
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Really enjoying this, thanks. Just noticed that Kale doesn’t seem too get an extra 1/2 attack at level 7, I guess he is meant too? Thanks
    edited July 2020
    Do you have him using the Warden Kit? Also make sure he isn't using a 1 attack per round only weapon (I initially had one equipped and thought it wasn't working myself when I went to troubleshoot.)

If everything checks out on your side I'll just reupload my files in case I forgot to add a line somewhere on the github version, since my local version seems fine.
    ilduderino
  • ilduderinoilduderino Member Posts: 773
    Thanks! He’s using a bastard sword and shield and has the warden kit
    edited July 2020
    It's definitely working locally:

0mbk85ja6cn0.png

I saw the bastard sword in my version wasn't droppable so uploaded a fix so that he doesn't spawn with it, but I didn't see any differences between local and github. I reuploaded it anyway though, just in case I missed something.

I'd try equpiping nothing/a different weapon to see if it makes any difference too.

Also:

Version 1.59:
    Fixes Warden Version of Kale from starting with a non-droppable bastard sword.
  • CaedwyrCaedwyr Member Posts: 176
    edited August 2020
    Warden Kit as part of the Kale NPC mod by @Skitia.
    • There's some extra newlines in the description and other spots where newlines are missing: s368zqctd3fn.jpg
    • Space between "Hit Die:" and "d12"
    • Thac0. Last character is a zero (T)o (h)it (a)rmor (c)lass (0).
    • There is inconsistent capitalization. The whole kit description could do with a second proofread. Let me know if you'd like me to give a shot at doing this.
    • Ward ability does not have a description when right clicked.
    • Seamless HLA integration with Refinements.
    Kale is now at 1.6
    -Banters should now be EET compatible.
    -The Kit text should now be far cleaner. (Thanks to @Caedwyr for assistance).
    -Fixed some quest spawn points to feel more natural.
    -Probably a few undocumented spelling issues that were corrected.
    Fina92Gusinda
  • TrouveurTrouveur Member Posts: 482
    Hi, thanks for this awesome mod !

Kale is really a nice fellow, with cool banters and two quests.

I encountered some bugs with 1.6 :
    -
    when you use PID to talk to him, you can ask him about the cloak he gave us, before actually receiving it (I could ask him about it before entering Baldur's Gate and thus finishing this quest)
    -
    when I brought back the letter to Myriam in Beregost, Kale said something about the poor halfling messenger and this prevented Myriam from taking the letter and giving the ring of protection. Without Kale the quest ended normally.
    -
    After completing Kale's brother's quest, he gave me his dagger, but this one is undroppable, so it's stuck in my inventory and I can't equipe it.

I'm in chapter 5 currently, if I found other bugs I will report them here.

And of course when I finished SoD I will post my impressions on the mod.
    edited December 2020
    Thanks for playing the mod and reporting these bugs, I updated the mod to 1.61 to address all of these issues.
    That was fast ! It's impressive.

It's a pleasure to play this mod, thank you for creating it.
    Hi again,

I finally finished BG1 and just began SoD. I walked in the Elfsong Tavern, I see banters between Kale and Sam, but neither of them are in the room !

I looked everywhere, but none of them showed up.

Corwin told me fine about Kale in the Palace and near the Elfsong Tavern.

What could possibly be causing this ?
    I'm not sure, dialogue strings appear at the creature's location, it's very strange that they aren't showing up. It could be a failure to render or some other script destroyed them for some reason. I often advice to save and then reload at the beginning of SoD because it's always slightly buggy on how it handles modded NPCs. I'll get my playthrough into SoD soon just to double check that it's not something Kale-script-related.

Part of me wants to say to just keep playing, Kale re-appears outside of the palace before you begin the march if you don't recruit him, so you can try to get them at that point.

You can force spawn the SoD version of Kale as well ("X32Kale") if that doesn't work.
    edited December 2020
    Thanks for the workaround.

I'm pretty sure I did save and reload just at the begining.

I kept a savegame at the begining of SoD so I will try later to see if Kale appears outside the palace. I was also thinking about testing with a new direct SoD game to see if Kale shows up this time.

Other NPC from mods did appear correctly : Ver'Sza, Shar-Teel, Sirene and Drake.

When I use the console to create Kale from the X32Kale, it worked but his joining talk was out of place, and he wasn't the same Kale that did BG1 and the Korzak's Tomb with me (different progression and items).

So, I reloaded just before leaving Korzak's Tomb, kicked Kale from my party, advanced a little in the story and then used the console to make a quick travel back and forth to this area and recruted him again. This time, his joining dialogue seemed the good one, and so far I'm in the begining of chapter 8 and he talks regulary with SoD banters.
    Glad that worked!
    edited December 2020
    I just encountered a strange bug :
    Just after meeting Lilah in the Dead Man's Pass, Kale keeps talking to me as if I used PID talk.

Finding Lilah's brother's body and reporting to her didn't solved the problem.
    Post edited by Trouveur on
    edited December 2020
    So sorry about this, globals didn't match. I uploaded a fix just now.

1.62 fixes:
    -Mismatch between variables causing Kale to end up in an endless initiating dialogue loop.
    -Removal of needless or condition in another trigger.
    -A few spelling fixes in BG:EE content.
    Trouveur
    Thank you for the quick fix. I would rather not try to update the mod before finishing SoD since I installed many of them after Kale.

Can I correct the variables with EEKeeper ?
    edited December 2020
    I would just use the console.

C:SetGlobal("X32KQuestTalk","GLOBAL",2) is needed. This gets the conversation to fire.

Once the right conversation happens, then do:
    C:SetGlobal("X32KaleQuestTalk","GLOBAL",3)

This stops the endless starting conversation loop.

When it happens again!

C:SetGlobal("X32KQuestTalk","GLOBAL",4) is needed so it finds the right conversation to use.

Once the right conversation happens, then do:
    C:SetGlobal("X32KaleQuestTalk","GLOBAL",5)

To stop it from trying to trigger it endlessly once more.

The update changes them all to X32KaleQuestTalk, the KQuestTalk is a mispelling, thus why it isn't working right.
    Thank you, I was able to see all the dialogs that way. :-)

But, I don't know if it is because I used the console, but :
    After agreeing to lie to Lilah, when I came back to her and lied about her brother, she didn't went away, and when I talked to her again, the same banter played again and I received again the XP reward for her quest. It's like an infinite loop.
    On the contrary, if I don't agree right away to lie to her, she go away after talking to here again and completing her quest. Lying or telling the truth didn't change the outcome.
    Thanks, I fixed it so she leaves when that happens now. (For your playthrough, I would just ignore her after talking to her once if you intend to go the lying route.)
    Trouveur
    Kale is updated to 1.62 now:
    -Hero's Cloak now gives +2 Charisma over +1.
    -Fixed mismatched details in Kale's Quest Dialogue.
    -Fixed some items on creatures so they were the sellable kind.
    -Probably a few spelling fixes I've done here and there.